High quality hooch from the ethanol plant down the road?

Research sources, reviews and links to information relating to distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

High quality hooch from the ethanol plant down the road?

Post by 6 Row Joe »

I was curious as to whether ethanol plant produced hooch is drinkable. I found this article and it's the first I've read. It tells the story. It sounds like many of the by-products are distilled off and used for their intended purposes. May be the hearts are left for human consumption! :thumbup: Interesting read. http://www.ethanolproducer.com/articles ... l-to-drink" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
I don't drink alcohol, I drink distilled spirits.
Therefore I'm not a alcoholic, I'm spiritual.
Birrofilo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: High quality hooch from the ethanol plant down the road?

Post by Birrofilo »

The article was not written by somebody who distills as a hobby.
We don't judge the quality of a spirit by counting its "impurities", and stating that the less, the better. Oh, and the expensive vodka has 50 impurities, too bad!
Those "impurities" are called "congeners" and they are the signature of each product. Ethanol is a chemical substance and, when pure, it's the same whatever its source.

A factory producing pure ethanol through distillation can certainly produce anything aromatic. What they lack is not the instruments, but the skill: the tasters, the blenders, the know-how in aging, the know-how in cooperage, the relations with the distributors and the retailers, the brand and the relation with the clients, the "charme" of an old traditional distillery which catches the fantasy of the buyer. Whisky producers having all the requisite above, will buy pure ethanol from industrial ethanol producers to dilute their whisky (it's hinted in the article, and unsurprising).

But drinkable, it is drinkable for sure. Ethanol is so drinkable that they have to denaturate it or to apply an excise tax to it :cry: