We should talk more about blending our products.

Research sources, reviews and links to information relating to distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Single Malt Yinzer
Trainee

We should talk more about blending our products.

Post by Single Malt Yinzer »

It seems that blending is something we don't talk about enough. Most of our focus is on making a spirit that as a distillate that should stand on its own without blending. It don't believe that this is a bad thing, but I believe that it can be limiting to our creativity. As some are starting to discover Mailliard grains, understanding ester formation, and other ways of boosting flavors, we need to think about how we can use these processes to create new and interesting spirits. By creating these "overflavored" spirits we can then use a weaker flavored spirit to combine it to create something with the character of the over-flavored spirit but reduce the potency so that you can pick up the nuances of the flavors. We can use breather barrels for the lesser flavored spirits to have oaked spirits to be ready for blending.

One of the reasons I bring this up is listening to someone on a podcast (I forget who) said we don't make a specific flavor profile of a spirit, we create the conditions that the create a flavor profile, but it's not an exactly repeatable process. It can vary wildly. Blending can help us create a more uniform product or change the product positively is you feel something is too strong or too weak. I love my spirits super smokey but I know not many of us do. So I can blend the smokey down to a level that is more acceptable to other's (mostly SWMBO's) tastes.

I know people do blend, but I wanted to draw more attention to this tool we should be using. We shouldn't think that a blended spirit is less valuable than an unblended one. This hobby is about creating your spirit however you want to do it. Don't be afraid of blending.
zapata
Distiller

Re: We should talk more about blending our products.

Post by zapata »

I blend all the time. I assumed everyone does. Or at least everyone who makes a new batch before they drink the last one!

But you're right, there is little discussion of it, and its sprinkled all around.

It wouldn't occur to me to look down on blending at the hobby level. Everything we make, no matter how blended, is still the product of one distiller, in one distillery. It fits the "single" concept from scotch perfectly. Even "straight" whiskey need to be blended from within the same state, not even the same distillery. Absolutely no shame with in house blending. It's fun, educational and if nothing else breaks the monotony of you only have a few finished (or bottled) spirits to hand.
aircarbonarc
Swill Maker

Post by aircarbonarc »

I blend and I believe that blending is something that shouldn't be snubbed. Commercial spirits are blended for different reasons and they sell so why not.
long live Oldsmobile Aleros
butterpants
Swill Maker

Post by butterpants »

You're right. The hard part is having blending stock!
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

This is something I've never thought about sharing on, like many I figured people will do with their drinks as they will.
On my infected dunder rum it definitely needs to be blended with another rum, dont get me wrong... it's a fine rum but as a mixer not a sipper. White it's a eye opener as the pungent oder and tastes are too much for most. I love it tho. Oaked is really good now being over a year old now but for most it's too much still and mostly mixed with coke. I have blended some into another rum that balanced out well with a white rum.

My traditional Caribbean style rum run with 2 thumpers is awesome and since I make it with the same recipe I get very repeated results, the cuts I make for white or oaked rum vary being I keep mainly hearts for the white and go deeper either side for oaked.

My butter rum is a special type of rum and I keep from mid heads, all the hearts and early tails. I keep the same white and oaked as the flavors are so powerful that it has a wide range.

Note☆ After I get my keeping likker I save the tails for the next run but collect wayyy down to the near 0%-15% for the flavors in there to dilute my rums inorder not to use water. This is what we call the sweet water.... Good shit!!!
Single Malt Yinzer
Trainee

Post by Single Malt Yinzer »

Thanks ShineOn - the tails piece is interesting. I've never even thought of that.

--------------------------------

Oddly enough I was listening to the Still Talking podcast from last week and they said "Craft distillers need to blend!" It was pretty funny to hear them say it too.

With blending we have more control over the final product. And that's what it's all about, making your product the way you envision it.
steelmb
Swill Maker

Post by steelmb »

Start a run, put foreshots into the windshield washer of your car, use whatever containers to collect down to approximately 20%,blend it all together, drink and enjoy.
I believe MCH may have said it best. "It's your hooch, you get to choose."
Ding Dong
http://w.homedistiller.org/forum/viewto ... =7&t=66849
googe
retired

Post by googe »

IMO everyone should learn blending, there's so many different tastes you can achieve. I do two main rums I like, late heads/hearts/early tails is one of my favs, as is mid heads and hearts. There's also alot of difference in early tails and very late tails, the very late tails into the 15% bracket has some unusual tastes and mouth feel IMO.
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

steelmb wrote:Start a run, put foreshots into the windshield washer of your car, use whatever containers to collect down to approximately 20%,blend it all together, drink and enjoy.
Seriously??
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

Lol, pass.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Helluva blend eh!!!
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

I let my tummy do the blending...it's less time consuming.
Getting hung up all day on smiles
steelmb
Swill Maker

Post by steelmb »

Antler24 wrote:
steelmb wrote:Start a run, put foreshots into the windshield washer of your car, use whatever containers to collect down to approximately 20%,blend it all together, drink and enjoy.
Seriously??
Yes seriously. With good ingredients and recipe it works for me.
I believe MCH may have said it best. "It's your hooch, you get to choose."
Ding Dong
http://w.homedistiller.org/forum/viewto ... =7&t=66849
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

steelmb wrote:
Antler24 wrote:
Seriously??
Yes seriously. With good ingredients and recipe it works for me.
Yeah it'll work, but as a hobby distillers quality is more important than quantity. If you think your product is good at this point, take the time to learn to make proper cuts and you'll be amazed at the quality you can get. People won't believe you when you tell them it's home made.
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there