Why Whiskey Should Come From A Pot Still

Research sources, reviews and links to information relating to distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

WIski
Site Donor
Site Donor

Why Whiskey Should Come From A Pot Still

Post by WIski »

Another authoritative article full of fact and fiction. Interesting, nonetheless. This guy has obviously never tasted a drop from a 3 plated flute done properly. Article below.......... :egeek:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-reaso ... -pot-still" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Big Stogie
Swill Maker

Re: Why Whiskey Should Come From A Pot Still

Post by Big Stogie »

Interesting viewpoint, on some level I agree. There is a certain something about the potstill
When the student is ready the teacher will emerge.

Flute Journey viewtopic.php?f=17&t=69736
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Good article, if not a little romantic. And to be honest Im still on the fence myself. Ive done both, double run through a pot, and single run through 2 and 3 plate flutes. I have decided dialing the flute in for maximum performance is not the best tact for whiskeys. Run it hot and sloppy, with the reflux dialed back a bit to keep the distillate under 160 and its fine, I think. Maybe. It sure is nice to do 1 run and be done. That much is certain.

I may eventually fall off the fence, on one side or the other. But I think its going to take a few more gallons of bourbon filtered through my liver first.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
Big Stogie
Swill Maker

Post by Big Stogie »

Same for me Jimbo I only have a few runs on my flute and clearly don’t have it figured out yet but I’m working on it. If I had to say right now I think they both have a place I’m my tool box
When the student is ready the teacher will emerge.

Flute Journey viewtopic.php?f=17&t=69736
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

Interesting how he mixes continuous columns interchangeably with batch columns. Different animals. Batch processing either column or pot still, give time based fractioning. From reading some of Odins posts he suggests that the type of column, packed, sieve, or bubble caps all effect the results. It's much more complex a question than simply column vs pot still.

I really like the one and done. Some day I will do a pot stilled whiskey for comparison.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
steelmb
Swill Maker

Post by steelmb »

I do "one and done" with my pot still. So there, the best of both worlds.
I believe MCH may have said it best. "It's your hooch, you get to choose."
Ding Dong
http://w.homedistiller.org/forum/viewto ... =7&t=66849
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

Pot still just not as refined as flute, more carryover imo.
You can make good likker with both of them, and not tell the difference, especially 3x.
*Spend it all, Use it up, Wear it out*
Beware of sheet-sniffers and dime-droppers!
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

I like young white whiskey. So my preference is to strip with a potstill.
Let it breath for awhile. Then redistill with several plates or a detuned packed column.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

Big Stogie wrote:Same for me Jimbo I only have a few runs on my flute and clearly don’t have it figured out yet but I’m working on it. If I had to say right now I think they both have a place I’m my tool box
I've been working a 2 plate config pretty hard for about 2 years now. i'm getting the hang of it but i must run pretty hot and sloppy since one and done is a fantasy that eludes me. I can firmly state i have not "figured it out" too... :lol: :lol:
i'm still very much a collect low wines to an average of 38% and run it again kind of distiller.
anything i'd consider hearts on the first run (if i dick around with deflag and heat try to get a bottle or something) never passes a demisting test.

i resist stacking more plates because the heart cut would appear to be very small on a one and done, based on what i see coming out in my current stripping runs. I love collecting quantity of the same profile from a big spirit run.

when i gear up for voddy with 4 plates it comes out clean, clean clean...so for whisky i think that too, would be too light for my preferences.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I haven’t run a flute yet but it certainly looks like more fun!

-johnny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

He seems to have written the article under the illusion that Redbreast is run once in a pot still...
thedailybeast.com wrote:If you take a dram of a pot still whiskey, like Redbreast, what you have in your glass is a very different, very specific thing. Consistency, as one can easily imagine, is the product of expertise, an artistic application of science. It is distilled in one go. Its full flavor profile and slick mouthfeel aren’t the product of a column.
...but if you visit the Redbreast website, they say it's a triple distillation, so he doesn't know what he's comparing with what.

What I like about using a pot still is that I'm choosing my cut from three or four still charges worth of wash, rather than from one if I used a column doing one run and done.