Barrel Proof Values

Research sources, reviews and links to information relating to distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

WIski
Site Donor
Site Donor

Barrel Proof Values

Post by WIski »

This is an interesting comparison of some Barrel Proof offerings and their watered down counter parts.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Full article below...….

https://tater-talk.com/2018/10/29/value ... -whiskies/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

NOTICE>>>>at the end of the article Home Distiller is linked for the dilution calculator????? :thumbup:
Bushman
Admin

Re: Barrel Proof Values

Post by Bushman »

Nice, I was just traveling to San Francisco and stopped at the border at the discount liquor store to buy a few bottles of things I don’t make. My wife asked about everclear (I don’t know why) but they said California no longer sells it but when they did they went from 190 proof to 120. I am guessing it was a safety issue but he said the proof dropped but not the price.
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

What always intrigues me is how do you get 130+ proof when it has to go into the barrel less than 125? I know it goes up in dry climates, but 10 proof? I only get a 1-2 proof jump.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

I find it hard to believe that it happens at all. Alcohol would disappear before water. Proof should only ever go down.

Perhaps they're proofing the bottles with new make?

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Expat wrote:I find it hard to believe that it happens at all. Alcohol would disappear before water. Proof should only ever go down.

Expat, I find it difficult to contradict you as you're miles ahead of me in this game,
but I direct you to THIS ARTICLE where it says:

"If humidity is high in the warehouse, then the losses of water are slowed and alcohol is lost preferentially.
This is the typical situation in Scotland, where relative humidity is often 80 – 90%. In drier climates, though, the losses of water can be faster than alcohol,
resulting in an increase in alcohol concentration over time in the spirit maturing in the cask."

Does that not make sense?
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

It makes perfect sense and thats how it works. Proof can absolutely go up, and does. Its because H2O molecules are much smaller than C₂H₅OH (ethanol) molecules. But will only evaporate off faster (than the ethanol molecules) if the humidity is low in the room.
Last edited by Jimbo on Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

fizzix wrote:
Expat wrote:I find it hard to believe that it happens at all. Alcohol would disappear before water. Proof should only ever go down.

Expat, I find it difficult to contradict you as you're miles ahead of me in this game,
but I direct you to THIS ARTICLE where it says:

"If humidity is high in the warehouse, then the losses of water are slowed and alcohol is lost preferentially.
This is the typical situation in Scotland, where relative humidity is often 80 – 90%. In drier climates, though, the losses of water can be faster than alcohol,
resulting in an increase in alcohol concentration over time in the spirit maturing in the cask."

Does that not make sense?
I dunno about ahead, I still have tons to learn.

Re the first statement, sounds backwards to me...
then the losses of water are slowed and alcohol is lost preferentially

Sounds like the alcohol is evaporating faster.... the humidity perhaps moderating the ratio of water leaving. But I still can't reconcile that with the ABV rising. It would be dropping.

Thanks Jimbo, that explanation helps.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by Jimbo »

size of the molecule of course only having a bearing because the little buggers gotta pass through the wood first before making their break for freedom. Think about the sweat beads not leaving your body in a steam room, but in the desert you wont see beads of sweat, but you better believe they are pouring out you nonetheless, just evaporating the instant they make it to the surface
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

The abv can go up in the barrel. I have had barrels that increase as does 291. But I only see a 1 or 2 point jump, not 5+. I ran across a corsair bottle that was in the 140+ proof range. Not exactly how that works.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

Many variables at play with cask aging.
Wood quality and properties (density) aren't heard about much.
*Spend it all, Use it up, Wear it out*
Beware of sheet-sniffers and dime-droppers!
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Here's a practical explanation of how proof can change in the barrel, and how distillers manipulate said changes through rackhouse design and rotation schedules to create different products. (Too bad the rackhouse diagram isn't clearer.)

It isn't mentioned, but I would guess part of a rotation strategy would include minimizing losses to the angels.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer