Sensory evaluation/palate training

Research sources, reviews and links to information relating to distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Benredbeard
Novice

Sensory evaluation/palate training

Post by Benredbeard »

Has anyone found (or created) a palate training regimen for spirits? When I was a beer judge we had these wonderful resources for identifying certain characteristics, flavors, flaws etc. For example try this beer to get a dry-hopped Cascade, that for a double decoction etc. There's even a kit for doctoring beers with varying levels of flaws such as oxidation, infection (several types), chlorine contamination etc.

This was invaluable in judge training and for holding workshops, and as I consider taking my enjoyment of spirits to a new level, just wondering if a similar reference or resource exists?

For example: these two whiskies have otherwise similar malt bills and distillation regimens, so you can really taste the difference that wheat makes. Or these gins are botanically similar, with one's botanicals in the boiler and the other in a Carter head.

Thoughts?
Happy bees, home brews, and two green thumbs.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Sensory evaluation/palate training

Post by fizzix »

I watch and listen to beer judges at my local club and have seen wine judging, and realize I have no such talent or discriminating palate.
I'd bet liquor is the same for me.

But I like to research, and found this detailed article: 10 Steps: The Fundamentals of How to Taste Whisky
Single Malt Yinzer
Trainee

Post by Single Malt Yinzer »

Google "Whiskey Sensory kit" or "Gin Sensory Kit". It's going to be as close as you can get. There aren't many products that will state how they produced their product. A good reference is Lew Bryson's "Tasting Whiskey". One of the key things he says is to try something daily. It helps build the palate.

Personally I get the most out of trying a couple samples of similar products at once.

You can also try triangle tests: https://homedistiller.org/wiki/index.php/Triangle_Test" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Very good question!
Thank you for asking and thank all the people who answer in one way or another!
frost021
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by frost021 »

world spirits awards I believe has a course that is mentioned in the world spirits guide 2018 that I got at one of our Local Distillery's,the course mentioned , half is in German and important info is in English...