Dibosh CM Reflux still from China

Research sources, reviews and links to information relating to distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

cayars
Distiller

Re: Dibosh CM Reflux still from China

Post by cayars »

Ahh, got ya, thanks for the comparison pictures.
Programmer specializing in process control for ExxonMobil (ethanol refinery control), WT, Omron, Bosch, Honeywell & Boeing.
More than a decade working for NASA & FAA Tech with computer code used on Space Shuttles and some airline flight recorders.
charcoal
Swill Maker

Post by charcoal »

For those who want to learn a bit more on this still, please check viewtopic.php?f=1&t=46605

I have located another store selling similar setup. They are called "Distiney Store" https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3291406 ... 15a62Oj0O3

Another store is "AliExpress
Homebrewing---Distillation Store" https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32963445671.html

cayars
Distiller

Post by cayars »

Those are 1.5" not 2" columns so one needs to be careful.
Programmer specializing in process control for ExxonMobil (ethanol refinery control), WT, Omron, Bosch, Honeywell & Boeing.
More than a decade working for NASA & FAA Tech with computer code used on Space Shuttles and some airline flight recorders.
charcoal
Swill Maker

Post by charcoal »

They have both sizes.

In fact the last three manufacturers list this as the description.

Section A

1. 1.5"(38mm)OD50.5 pipe Height 300mm--1pcs

2. 1.5"(38mm)OD50.5 Dephlegmator (4 Pipes Inside ID 8mm,Height 150mm, Internal Thread1/4")

Thickness:2mm--1pcs

3. 1.5"(38mm)OD50.5 Elbow 90 degree With Nipple And Cap For Thermometer --1pcs

4. 1.5"(38mm)OD50.5 Elbow 90 degree--1pcs

5. 1.5"(38mm)OD50.5 Condenser (4 Pipes Inside ID 8mm,Height 300mm, Internal Thread1/4",)--1pcs

6. Tri-clamp Reducer With Air Connector 1.5"(38mm)OD50.5*"Herringbone" 9.5mm--1pcs

7. 1.5"(38mm) Tri-clamp With Silicon Gasket--6pcs

8. Short Type Digital thermometer--1pcs

Can't get clearer than this!
cayars
Distiller

Post by cayars »

Aren't those all 1.5"?
charcoal
Swill Maker

Post by charcoal »

cayars wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:43 am Aren't those all 1.5"?
This is a 2" system from "Homebrewing---Distillation Store" . https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32844022262.html

But Dibosh is selling this for a cheaper price. I don't see the point of buying it elsewhere. They are just steel pipes.
charcoal
Swill Maker

Post by charcoal »

BTW, the thermometer was fixed to the top pipe using double sided tape. After few minutes, the tape melted and the meter fell. The temps felt OK for the meter so I fixed it back with a twist tie.

I plan to fix it properly by putting a small piece of wood between the thermomoter and pipe. Or I may stick it on the condenser.
charcoal
Swill Maker

Post by charcoal »

I run this as pot still for stripping.
charcoal
Swill Maker

Post by charcoal »

I found that my still was producing >90 % ABV. My lower estimate of 70 % was based on a refractometer. But I found out that diluting the product by adding same quanity of water was showing > 45% ABV in the same refractometer. I then tested it with a hydrometer and it was showing it to be more than 90%. I have 3 different brands of hydrometers so will be able to check it in the next run.
charcoal
Swill Maker

Post by charcoal »

I have tied the thermometer to the Product condenser as it is the coolest point on this still. I also connected the elbow with the thermowell to the product condeser. Distillex and Distiney have shown the same arrangement.
cayars
Distiller

Post by cayars »

So you want to monitor the product condenser over the vapor temp at the top of the column?
What's your thought on this?
charcoal
Swill Maker

Post by charcoal »

Thermometer body is tied to the Product Condenser and the sensor is inside the thermowell.

In my still the thermometer is mounted on the top and is sensing from the dephlagmator side.

Distillex mounts in on the product condenser side. They don't have a thermometer with a probe cable.

Distiney is the same

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1jbj8KeyS ... io-304.jpg

and so is Homebrewing---Distillation Store https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1TNhUaELr ... -Style.jpg

This is for the time being. The main pipe would be covered in some proper insulation in few days.
cayars
Distiller

Post by cayars »

Thanks for the pictures, that makes it so much easier to understand.

They are both at the highest vapor point and only and inch or so from each other, so either will work just fine. Just pick a setup and stick with it to get the same results each time.
charcoal
Swill Maker

Post by charcoal »

Manc wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:03 am Hi charcoal

That's not what you want. You can't control a still by temperature as it will rise as the alcohol is depleted. All you can control is the power input difference between a hard boil and slow boil. That's over simplifying there's loads of threads on here about controling a wash by temperature. Here's one from Google search.

viewtopic.php?t=16635

Don't know if you have read crankys spoonfeeding but it's worth a read.

What you want is a voltage regulator.

Hope that helps

Lee
I managed to run this still by temperature!
Ronh
Novice

Post by Ronh »

People who have bought these. I’m trying to fine tune my cooling since the valves that came with mine don’t work, what thread is the female ports on the product condenser and dephlag ? I thought it was 1/8 npt but no dice, I’m assuming 1/8 BSPT
charcoal
Swill Maker

Post by charcoal »

Ronh wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:41 pm People who have bought these. I’m trying to fine tune my cooling since the valves that came with mine don’t work, what thread is the female ports on the product condenser and dephlag ? I thought it was 1/8 npt but no dice, I’m assuming 1/8 BSPT
Who was your seller? Ask them for advice.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32924022059.html

this is 0.25" pipes

Pipes separately are sold here

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32877019523.html
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=78393&p=7605423#p7605423
A read of the thread that the link above takes you to may also be of some use Ronh.
Seems quite a few people are encountering problems running these stills the first time around. Most problems that I have seen so far seem to be caused by people using to litte power to the boiler.
ravi
Novice

Post by ravi »

hello Guys,

Just sharing my recent experience buying my first still from china from distillex vendor. Man! I would like to say this was my worst worst experience I ever had buying any thing online!!!!!! I ordered 25 liter electricboiler reflex still with 2" column with water cooling set, heater etc means almost every thing which needed to complete the package and all cost me about $450. And you know guys what came to home? F***** boiler without heater(means gas pot type) shorter column, heater missing, water set missing many other parts as well.....So much disappointment!!!! then opened dispute and still fighting to get what still i ordered. Its about 2 month passed now but did not get resolved yet. vendor also not responding as he was responding during purchase.
Anyway i hope you guys understand feeling(. SO, in my opinion if yo guys can make still self, I think that is much batter..this way at least we can fix our problem by yourself and can learn many things.

cheers
In search of Dream whiskey.................
charcoal
Swill Maker

Post by charcoal »

ravi wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 6:20 pm hello Guys,

Just sharing my recent experience buying my first still from china from distillex vendor. Man! I would like to say this was my worst worst experience I ever had buying any thing online!!!!!! I ordered 25 liter electricboiler reflex still with 2" column with water cooling set, heater etc means almost every thing which needed to complete the package and all cost me about $450. And you know guys what came to home? F***** boiler without heater(means gas pot type) shorter column, heater missing, water set missing many other parts as well.....So much disappointment!!!! then opened dispute and still fighting to get what still i ordered. Its about 2 month passed now but did not get resolved yet. vendor also not responding as he was responding during purchase.
Anyway i hope you guys understand feeling(. SO, in my opinion if yo guys can make still self, I think that is much batter..this way at least we can fix our problem by yourself and can learn many things.

cheers
Do you have the link to the item you bought?

Is it https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32979016049.html ?

or https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000152071033.html

This still I bought from Dibosh but have bought a lot of items from distillex. It all went OK even in Covid times.
ravi
Novice

Post by ravi »

Hello,
here is the link:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3297901 ... 7d50P3YHfG

but in above order , I customised many things like water set with ss valve, tallest column in this cat, filter plate etc. and then paid modified cost...still waiting my package(((((((((((((((((((
charcoal
Swill Maker

Post by charcoal »

The link you have given does not have an electric boiler. Anyway you can probably escalate this to Aliexpress. Aliexpress is an escrow service too.
ravi
Novice

Post by ravi »

hello,
they do not have 2" column with heater boiler option. So, they just told me select this one and we will customise for me. I selected heater type boiler, premium water set, tallest column set-C, and many things more...and finally cost updated and paid......................after dispute seller agree to send missing things but no one knows when they will come its allready 2.5 month passed and two mash is gone to waste..........................

cheers....
charcoal
Swill Maker

Post by charcoal »

I feel your pain. I have ordered certain parts to upgrade my still but they are still in transit.

I ordered 4 things from a seller and he is sending it in 3 different parcels!
charcoal
Swill Maker

Post by charcoal »

Anyway read this one

Manc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Manc »

charcoal wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:32 pm
Manc wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:03 am Hi charcoal

That's not what you want. You can't control a still by temperature as it will rise as the alcohol is depleted. All you can control is the power input difference between a hard boil and slow boil. That's over simplifying there's loads of threads on here about controling a wash by temperature. Here's one from Google search.

viewtopic.php?t=16635

Don't know if you have read crankys spoonfeeding but it's worth a read.

What you want is a voltage regulator.

Hope that helps

Lee
I managed to run this still by temperature!
Hi charcoal

That's interesting how did you manage that. Can you share your experiences

Thanks
Lee
charcoal
Swill Maker

Post by charcoal »

I ran it by using a PID. I did create two videos on it but was hounded by people here so removed both videos. Now I use my still in a VM configuration so I stopped it as a CM.

If you see PID related videos on youtube then there is one where George runs his still using a PID.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Charcoal maybe you could also mention that you battled to get any decent result using a PID and continued to try to use one even though many experienced distillers and a lot of well meaning long term members told you that you where wasting your time.
All of your attempts, even those videoed seemed to be spectacularly unsuccessful using a PID.

Manc there are many threads around the forum that will prove to you that PIDs are not the way to go for still control.
You could start with this one and take note of Gp996s experiences when he tried to use a PID.
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=79822
charcoal
Swill Maker

Post by charcoal »

I got very good results. You can keep your proofs to yourself.

His PID fluctated. Mine did not and it was all on video.

Thanks!
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

charcoal wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:20 pm I got very good results. You can keep your proofs to yourself.

His PID fluctated. Mine did not and it was all on video.

Thanks!
You pulled the videos because they were showing nothing to help your point that PID's are the go to tool, and you are taking this off topic as you have in the past to push your PID concept. If this thread doesn't go back on topic it will be locked
charcoal
Swill Maker

Post by charcoal »

Well at least the temperature was stable. The suitability is up for debate.