Still Spirits Copper Alembic dome and Condenser Combo

Research sources, reviews and links to information relating to distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bigdaddyquail
Novice

Still Spirits Copper Alembic dome and Condenser Combo

Post by Bigdaddyquail »

58DBC378-8096-444B-9E12-9925235D3F67.jpeg
Hi all, anyone have any experience using the Still Spirits Copper Alembic dome and Condenser Combo rig? Been using a hand made column for a while (photo attached) and have made some decent whiskies but am curious to try a pot still to pull through more flavour. Should fit nicely on my boiler but am a bit sceptical. Appreciate any feedback or suggestions. Thanks
gwizard
Novice

Re: Still Spirits Copper Alembic dome and Condenser Combo

Post by gwizard »

Copper dome is very shiny, but quite expensive for what it does.

Condenser is a simple liebig, which you can build yourself without too much skill needed and would cost you marginally less, if you have access to propane burner. If you do not and have no desire of using it anywhere else, then its more or less on par with the price of the condenser alone.

This opinion reflects prices as we have them in Australia, as I see that's where you live now.

You might need a voltage controller for your boiler, as this liebig is quite small and I don't know how big your heating element is. Also, if you any kind of "smart" boiler, aka Brewzilla (I noticed your clamps in the picture), then you will not be able to use a controller as it will screw the electronics.

All in all, if you want a simple pot still, I would suggest either building a liebig - all copper can be sourced from Bunnings, as well as propane torch and solder/flux - or buying a 2" modular SS pieces from Ebay. Either would be on par price wise and provide results.

P.S. If you want to talk parts and stuff, PM me. I have some ready made stuff which I'm about to put on Gumtree.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Re: Still Spirits Copper Alembic dome and Condenser Combo

Post by Saltbush Bill »

As already stated , over priced for what they are. Are they even really a true Alebic still.? Imo they are just a pot still sitting on a copper dome. You can make a potty that will do the same thing for 1/4 that cost.
Calling them an Alembic is stretching the truth, just a sales pitch by Still Spirits.
Google search Alembic Still images and you will see plenty of true Alembic Stills.