Reflux packing?

Moderator: Site Moderator

TRK41
Site Donor
Site Donor

Reflux packing?

Post by TRK41 »

First off, thank you to everyone who has been so helpful in answering the novice questions im having, its brought me a long way and i just wanted to say thank you. Now for the question.

Ive read that a lot of people use tightly/highly packed columns to reach azeo or 190 proof, Is this also true with a reflux column? If so, where do you put the packing say in a 4 column section with bubble plates? This question stems from my other thread where Im looking at a 6 plate column but if I need to maybe take out a few bubble plates and put some saddles or prisms in, do I really need 6 column sections or can I do this with 4 and pack them for vodka runs? Im ready to buy the column parts but dont wanna waste on unnecessary things if I dont have to, still have to get a controller for the elements. :|
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Reflux packing?

Post by Sporacle »

https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... 17&t=66732

Have a read here, I think you may be combining two separate things or your terminology may be off :D
" you can pick your nose and you can pick your friends; but you can't always wipe your friends off on your saddle" sage advice from Kinky Friedman
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

a reflux column may either be packed or have plates in. the requirement is a reflux condenser... there are a few different types of reflux heads.

a plated column will make high proof flavour products, while a packed column is mostly used for neutral products... but that is the simple version.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Setsumi wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:00 am a reflux column may either be packed or have plates in. the requirement is a reflux condenser.
IMO this is where the confusion starts , and what happens when people start not using the right terminology for stills and the parts of them.
What the hell is happening to hobby distilling when people don't know the difference?
A proper reflux still and a plated column on a hobby scale do very different things, one makes and is designed to make Vodka or Neutral type spirits, the other is for making flavoured spirits like Whisky , Rum , Brandy ect.
One runs a thing called a REFLUX condenser which condenses everything that hits it , the other runs a DEPHLEGMATOR ......learn the difference folks :(
...... what a DEPHLEGMATOR does ~~~~~> https://www.thermopedia.com/content/691/
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:59 am
Setsumi wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:00 am a reflux column may either be packed or have plates in. the requirement is a reflux condenser.
IMO this is where the confusion starts , and what happens when people start not using the right terminology for stills and the parts of them.

What the hell is happening to hobby distilling when people don't know the difference?
A proper reflux still and a plated column on a hobby scale do very different things, one makes and is designed to make Vodka or Neutral type spirits, the other is for making flavoured spirits like Whisky , Rum , Brandy ect.
One runs a thing called a REFLUX condenser which condenses everything that hits it , the other runs a DEPHLEGMATOR ......learn the difference folks :(
...... what a DEPHLEGMATOR does ~~~~~> https://www.thermopedia.com/content/691/
i very strongly disagree. a dephlegmator is a reflux condenser used on a Cooling Management reflux system. you can use CM on a plater or on a packed column. a plater does not have to be CM, either. if you do not believe me, check my signature. or search HD for LM and CCVM flutes/platers. and then explain to me why a reflux management system is different on a packed column than a flute/plater?

now, if you were to say my post was incomplete you would be correct. i should have added that platers, although reflux columns does not use packing but plates.

but you are correct that platers do a different product, as i have said.

edit: the difference in products between platers and packed columns has nothing to do with type of reflux management systems but rather the efficiency of the media or plate to facilitate reboiling phase change in the refluxed liquid.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

No one mentioned adding a packed section to a plated column for neutral spirits. I think this may be what TRK41 was alluding to in his not so well worded OP.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

These arguments always arouse turned on debates and I understand it, when you have such a strong passion! I believe they are right a bit of all: the base would be a column packed by neutral and plates column for flavored spirits. As we know there are nuances for example you can very well make an aromatized on a column packed if you know how to manage it. Same thing for the reflux capacitor, traditionally a deflemmer is associated with the plates but I run a CCVM head on the plates column and, once again, it works if you know how to use it. In any case it is always better to use "the right tool" for the job you do but sometimes you can do more things with a single tool.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Nomenclature and terminology aside, you would do well to do some more background reading before proceeding. From the myriad of rookie questions you asked on your other thread, there is a sizeable list of distilling principles and concepts you need to grasp prior to pulling the trigger on a 6” plater to make NGS.

Just a suggestion, but your learning curve would be shortened by some serious reading and cutting your distilling teeth on a pot still. Too often we see new guys unwittingly invest in the wrong type/size/design still and after suffering frustration, either upgrade to the right tool for the job or walk away.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
TRK41
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TRK41 »

im sorry guys, i didnt use the correct terminology, ill learn from it next time. I would guess "plated column" is what i meant to say. I was wondering where do you add them? Do I put it in the plated column reducer(8 to 4) at the bottom of the plated column? Or do you add them on top of a plated section? Or do you take out a plate and add them all between the 2 plateless sections? Thanks guys and sorry again, im still new to this.
TRK41
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TRK41 »

Twisted Brick wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:44 am .
Nomenclature and terminology aside, you would do well to do some more background reading before proceeding. From the myriad of rookie questions you asked on your other thread, there is a sizeable list of distilling principles and concepts you need to grasp prior to pulling the trigger on a 6” plater to make NGS.

Just a suggestion, but your learning curve would be shortened by some serious reading and cutting your distilling teeth on a pot still. Too often we see new guys unwittingly invest in the wrong type/size/design still and after suffering frustration, either upgrade to the right tool for the job or walk away.
I get what you are saying but isnt this forum to ask and learn? Its why im here, to learn what im doing wrong and try and correct things before I dive into something I may not be prepared for. My questions are about topics that arent too talked about here like 6 inch columns and jacketed boilers. I've made it known im a novice and dont have any equipment and am in the honeymoon phase of trying a new hobby, apologies if im asking redundant questions, ill be sure to do more reading before asking more questions.
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Sporacle »

I sought of understand your initial question and think I know what you are asking TRK, what people think is that you are trying to pack a plated column. Just understand that the two things as SBB points out do different things. Maybe use the search function and type in modular, have a good day and good luck :D
" you can pick your nose and you can pick your friends; but you can't always wipe your friends off on your saddle" sage advice from Kinky Friedman
TRK41
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TRK41 »

Sporacle wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:50 pm I sought of understand your initial question and think I know what you are asking TRK, what people think is that you are trying to pack a plated column. Just understand that the two things as SBB points out do different things. Maybe use the search function and type in modular, have a good day and good luck :D
Thanks Sporacle, modular helped out a lot, getting this terminology down is like the ACT lol
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

When you’ve been on these forums for a while, it is easy to lose patience with people wanting to learn everything at once by being “spoon fed”. Tip for anyone, not just TRK, you will get great and considered advice when you demonstrate through your questions that you are doing your own researching and showing some knowledge of the basics.

Twisted Brick gave great advice ie learn your craft on a pot still. I’d elaborate on that by recommending a 2” modular electric system involving a power controller. Learn to become boss of that still and the transition to a reflux column still will be very straightforward.
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
opinions are free and everybody has them, experience costs you time
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Sporacle »

That's great advice Kimbodious. I've got my 2 inch pot running pretty well now and run it by output, no thermometer just a scr. I'm in the process of building a CCVM and am really glad I waited as it works differently to how I first believed it to work. Managed to score a cheap 50L keg for a new boiler and have been to all the second hand stores and scrounged through my shed and am nearly finished a all copper 1L mini pot still :D
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

Sporacle wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:04 pm I've got my 2 inch pot running pretty well now and run it by output, no thermometer just a scr. I'm in the process of building a CCVM and am really glad I waited as it works differently to how I first believed it to work…
Sure does! But if you are used to running a pot by the output, the CCVM will be a cinch!
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
opinions are free and everybody has them, experience costs you time
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

kimbodious wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:21 pm
Sporacle wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:04 pm I've got my 2 inch pot running pretty well now and run it by output, no thermometer just a scr. I'm in the process of building a CCVM and am really glad I waited as it works differently to how I first believed it to work…
Sure does! But if you are used to running a pot by the output, the CCVM will be a cinch!
+1
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.