New still smells funny

Moderator: Site Moderator

HodyMac
Novice

New still smells funny

Post by HodyMac »

Newbie here. I finished my pot still, and did a 50/50 vinegar run last week. Today I did a sacrificial alcohol distillation to clean out any remaining flux, etc...

So, I figured I’d distill a case of PBR that’s been in my basement for a few years. So the run went well, but the inside of the copper tubing smells like PBR. Any recommendations for cleaning the PBR smell out of the still? I wouldn’t want that taste in a non-sacrificial run.

I’ve got some deathwish wheat germ bubbling away downstairs, and I’m looking forward to running that.

Thanks.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Re: New still smells funny

Post by Demy »

I think a simple sweep with water might be enough, if you have dissolved a teaspoon of citric acid.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

What he said
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

It's the hops, which are an oil compound. Do a soupy water wash or run your new copper again using just water or rinse everything with acetone.
Whatever is the easiest or cheapest or least time consuming...it'll wash out fine !
Getting hung up all day on smiles
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Windy City »

Although it may have seemed like a good idea, beer is not that great for the sacrificial run.
Beer ( even PBR) has hops, hops have oils. Let alone some year old beer that has skunked.
Many people on this forum have run beer through their stills but then need to do new cleaning runs to get rid of the hop oils.
A simple sugar wash like shadys sugar shine, wineos or birdwatchers is an easy and inexpensive way to get alcohol for a sacrificial run.
It doesn’t sound like your still is that big, I would just start my cleaning process again.

Edit posted same time as kiwi
The liver is evil and must be punished
Cranky"s spoon feeding for new and novice distillers
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
NineInchNails

Post by NineInchNails »

I've heard of some people washing their still using Oxy Clean & water. Just rinse thoroughly using warm to hot water. I might be tempted to load the boiler with enough water and blast steam through it afterward, although maybe not necessary.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Note to self...
"Clown Beer makes still smell funny."
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

PBR is a right of passage and still a Sunday morning sidewalk breakfast. The next run will clean that out but fores and heads I would cut deeper then smell.
HodyMac
Novice

Post by HodyMac »

Thanks, everyone!
Oxycleen helped a bunch. Smells OK now.
Looking forward to a first real run Sunday!