Inline flow meters for CM build

Moderator: Site Moderator

Solo83
Site Donor
Site Donor

Inline flow meters for CM build

Post by Solo83 »

I'm thinking of building a CM system for neutral but looks like a steeper learning curve to dial in cooling flow rates especially in regards to ambient air temps... anyone out there use inline flow rate meters for tracking cooling data? If so where do you place them i.e. inflow or outflow, vapor reflux condenser or product condenser, both? My hope would be to track ambient air temps vs necessary cooling flow rates in relation vapor temps and efficiency.
Something like this
"It is so shocking to find out how many people do not believe that they can learn, and how many more believe learning to be difficult."
"He who controls the shine controls the universe "

-Frank Herbert (sort-of)
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Re: Inline flow meters for CM build

Post by StillerBoy »

Solo83 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:25 pm My hope would be to track ambient air temps vs necessary cooling flow rates in relation vapor temps and efficiency.
Tracking ambient temp and water flow rate serve no purpose in distilling..

Outlet water temp govern the flow rate..

And a CM design is not the best for making neutral with, there are better design for that purpose..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

@ Solo83

A CM rig is excellent for making neutral spirits
Here's an example of a valve and flow meter I used for awhile.
That is, until I forgot to drain the water during freezing weather :oops:

acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Using a flow meter will give no repeatable aid to running a still of any type. All the variables involved will prove that true. If water input temperture changes it is not going to be constant. If ABV of boiler changes it will not stay constant and it does through out the run. Just as heat input changes so the cooling requirements.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

There's many a way to skin a cat.
Some folks might want to do some measuring
Before they start cutting.

Flow meters and thermometers have their places
For example
Two members want to compare or experiment with condenser performance.
Knowing the cooling water flow rate and temp would definitely help.
Just like in electronics, the more measuring done, the better you understand what's happening.

Having said that.
There's times I want to reach through computer screen, and snatch and smash thermometers :twisted:
I'd even reach back through the screen and steal the T off their keyboard.
Let them ask questions about their "heromomeers" :lol:
Last edited by shadylane on Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

I use a flow meter like the one Shadylane linked you too and I really love having it. One nice part about that one is that it includes a needle valve to adjust flow if/when needed. The only negative I have with this style is that the 1/2” threaded input and output on the back did not seem to be tapered and we’re loose in the genial,fittings, so I used a lot of thread tape to keep the thing from leaking.

Mine is in line after the input and after a valve and pressure regulator, and before the manifold I have that feeds multiple items. I would not put it on the output side so I don’t run hot water through it.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Solo83
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Solo83 »

Thanks for the input y'all! I'm sure that some data points i track "serve no purpose " but as I learn more its nice to have data points for reference/mitigate undesirable outcomes. It seems that it'd be nice to know a little more definitively the relationship between outflow temps and coolant flow rate... but perhaps I should just get more hermometers :P
"It is so shocking to find out how many people do not believe that they can learn, and how many more believe learning to be difficult."

-Frank Herbert (sort-of)
Solo83
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Solo83 »

Of course it makes sense that some variables will change and can't be mitigated ahead of time. That being said, sometimes its nice to learn from personal mistakes as long as said mistakes don't lead to catastrophic failure...

-Frank Herbert (sort-of)
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

I’ve always liked the look of those adjustable flow meters .

Several good members swear by them as a quick way to dial in coolant flow ... when they use the same power each time and their coolant water supply is relatively the same temp each time .

At the end of the day , the thing that matters is what the stuff coming out the spout tastes like . .

You can tweak power levels and coolant flow Numbers until the Cows come home , but if the juice taste like shit , it ain't worth drinking .

My point is , concentrate on the taste at the spout ... afterall , thats what your tastebuds experience .

Observations of other statistics is merely a distraction from what is really important .

But as I said at the start , if it helps you quickly dial into the good stuff , it can’t be a bad thing .

Just don't get hung up on the numbers and expect them to change with your circumstances .
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Windy City »

I use Dweyer flow meters on my stills.
I really like the built-in needle valves for control.
The flowmeter for my pc is pretty much set it and forget it.
The flowmeter for the deflag gets me in the ballpark for familiar runs and then I tweak it as I go.
Definitely not a mandatory item but I like it. :D

image.png
image.png (132.46 KiB) Viewed 1976 times
The liver is evil and must be punished
Cranky"s spoon feeding for new and novice distillers
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

As above they are a useful alternative to needle valves......as yummy said just dont worry about the numbers to much.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

I had a simple flow indicator. It just spun when flow was happening. Slow spin slow flow fast spin fast flow. I found it useful in my still because I had to adjust mine so low it was at the edge of no flow. But seeing the flow indicator spinning insured I did have flow. I plan to incorporate flow meters in my latest build. Actual flow meters I can see a measurement on. It’s not really needed. But I want it for testing purposes. Along with inlet and outlet coolant temps. I really think I will be putting temp sensors all over the thing. Along with other test ports like pressure.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
Solo83
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Solo83 »

Whelp been reading a bit more... I know y'all have said it time and time again but hell I'm ornery and stubborn, admittedly not the best combination but don't like to give up easily either :twisted:. Decided on building a VM reflux system : 2in dia. 28in packed reflux column + 6in sight glass extension, TC tee w/ silver brazed temp port topped w/ 3.3m of 1/4in tube coil reflux condenser, 1/2in gate valve off TC tee to a 24in liebig product condenser (I'll try to get pics at some point soon). Easier to wrap my head around calibration of vapor speed rates vs cooling rates based on coolant flow. Also only need one thermometer at the vapor chamber. Column built , condensers built (messed up my 1st coil but was able to salvage some of the tubing for a parrot build!) now just trying to figure out heating elements/control needs for a kettle build. Plan to do a bunch of water and then vinegar trial runs to familiarize myself with it before doing spirits.

-Frank Herbert (sort-of)
heynonny
Swill Maker

Post by heynonny »

I dont worry/care about coolant flow, I have a very sensitive propane regulator, I run pressure at about ¾ ± psi, have to play with it a bit, but have gotten 188 proof a few times with CM, , , , honest!

Oh,look!! Its a hole in the space-time contuum!!
30xs
Swill Maker

Post by 30xs »

I use one similar to the one in the OP to measure water when filling barrels for a wash, or loading a keg to boil enough gallons to bring the final wash temp to pitch temp.
howie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by howie »

Solo83 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:25 pm I'm thinking of building a CM system for neutral but looks like a steeper learning curve to dial in cooling flow rates especially in regards to ambient air temps... anyone out there use inline flow rate meters for tracking cooling data? If so where do you place them i.e. inflow or outflow, vapor reflux condenser or product condenser, both? My hope would be to track ambient air temps vs necessary cooling flow rates in relation vapor temps and efficiency.
Something like this
i bought a flowmeter as i was putting my CM together, but i didn't realise how little water my RC used.
so i have a 100-1000l/m flowmeter spare :roll:
even though i have learnt to drive the still without a flowmeter, those dwyer adjustable types interest me.
i would say though, judging by adjustments i make to the valve on the RC, that no 2 runs are alike.
but if you know your ballpark flows for certain runs, it can't do any harm.
just make sure you get a flowmeter with the correct range.
i think it's more important is to keep your water supply pressure constant and water temperature constant.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

:thumbup: Good post Howie