I did it! I have officially started the journey.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: I did it! I have officially started the journey.

Post by Deplorable »

Mashable wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:51 am
Deplorable wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:41 am Those are fine.
Thanks Deplorable! I usually end up with a little buyers remorse after those late night purchases that are vague in the morning. Thankfully this is not one of those times.
Well, if you want a little remorse, and an easy shotgun build with a lot less work, check out Twisted Brick's Easy Shotgun Build thread and see if you'd like to just get a set of plates and baffles already made to fit your 2" copper.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Mashable
Novice

Post by Mashable »

Deplorable wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:02 am
Mashable wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:51 am
Deplorable wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:41 am Those are fine.
Thanks Deplorable! I usually end up with a little buyers remorse after those late night purchases that are vague in the morning. Thankfully this is not one of those times.
Well, if you want a little remorse, and an easy shotgun build with a lot less work, check out Twisted Brick's Easy Shotgun Build thread and see if you'd like to just get a set of plates and baffles already made to fit your 2" copper.
I did see those, also that thread was what gave me the ideas. I wasn’t sure if being a newb I was overstepping by asking. Safe to assume all is needed is a PM to TB? I’m in Canada, so wasn’t sure how the cross border shipping worked. I’d absolutely love a set of those, the only other thing that stopped me was the 2” I have is HVAC tube, so the ID is not the same as the “L” type he makes them too.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Yep. Just PM him. I think they'll cross the boarder as copper wind chimes?
He was able to make mine to fit M pipe. Not sure what your ID is, but could you shim?
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Mashable wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:40 am
I did see those, also that thread was what gave me the ideas. I wasn’t sure if being a newb I was overstepping by asking. Safe to assume all is needed is a PM to TB? I’m in Canada, so wasn’t sure how the cross border shipping worked. I’d absolutely love a set of those, the only other thing that stopped me was the 2” I have is HVAC tube, so the ID is not the same as the “L” type he makes them too.
Hey Mashable! Your post made me curious, so I looked it up. According to this U.S. chart (a Canadian copper pipe size site I visited displays the same chart) they are the same.

As always, PM's and emails are welcome from everyone.

Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 8.57.22 AM.png
Last edited by Twisted Brick on Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Mashable
Novice

Post by Mashable »

Twisted Brick wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:08 am
Mashable wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:40 am
Hey Mashable! Your post made me curious, so I looked it up. According to this U.S. chart (a Canadian copper pipe size site I visited displays the same chart) they are the same.

PM or email is fine.

Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 8.57.22 AM.png
Thanks Twisted! I went and had a look at the pipe, I can see what appears to be a green K on the pipe, hence the reason the ferrules do not fit without sanding, freezing, heating and convincing.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

You'll need to chamfer the lip of the ferrules with a file, as well as the pipe. Then anneal the pipe for a press fit joint. It'll make a nice tight seal using minimal solder.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Hey Mashable!

Yours is the first request for plates for Type K pipe I've come across, maybe this will help.

On each shotgun I build (and copper spools for a complete pot still) I slightly enlarge the pipe end to easily accept the ferrule without needing the benefit of a BFH (hammer). I use a metal grinding drill head (below), and it takes a good 6-7min to grind out the pipe depth to accept the end plate and ferrule. Your ferrules look to be deep, closer to 28mm (is that correct?).

I figure you could modify your Type K pipe one of several ways: Anneal the end of your pipe and use your BFH to bang in your chamfered ferrule, then grind out just the depth of the endplate flange (1/4") with said metal grinding head. Otherwise, you could grind out the whole depth without having to use the hammer. This would take longer, but you can create a custom fit for your endplates (and ferrules) this way.

A third alternative would be to enlarge your pipe with the ferrule, then install the endplates per the depth of the ferrule. This might cause you to leave a portion of ferrule extending from the pipe, which some distillers don't mind (while others do mind).

I can cut the baffles so they will slip smoothly inside the pipe.

BTW, once you indicated you had Type K pipe, I went out and made a test endplate, and pressed the formed endplate flange with the end of a Type L pipe end that I tinned with some silver solder. After filing and sanding the outside of the flange, I ended up with an OD of 1.978. I can reduce it a bit more, but as is, would require very little grinding if you chose to go this route.
IMG_8388 copy.jpg
Type K test copy.jpg
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
Mashable
Novice

Post by Mashable »

Twisted Brick wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:37 pm Hey Mashable!

Yours is the first request for plates for Type K pipe I've come across, maybe this will help.

On each shotgun I build (and copper spools for a complete pot still) I slightly enlarge the pipe end to easily accept the ferrule without needing the benefit of a BFH (hammer). I use a metal grinding drill head (below), and it takes a good 6-7min to grind out the pipe depth to accept the end plate and ferrule. Your ferrules look to be deep, closer to 28mm (is that correct?).

I figure you could modify your Type K pipe one of several ways: Anneal the end of your pipe and use your BFH to bang in your chamfered ferrule, then grind out just the depth of the endplate flange (1/4") with said metal grinding head. Otherwise, you could grind out the whole depth without having to use the hammer. This would take longer, but you can create a custom fit for your endplates (and ferrules) this way.

A third alternative would be to enlarge your pipe with the ferrule, then install the endplates per the depth of the ferrule. This might cause you to leave a portion of ferrule extending from the pipe, which some distillers don't mind (while others do mind).

I can cut the baffles so they will slip smoothly inside the pipe.

BTW, once you indicated you had Type K pipe, I went out and made a test endplate, and pressed the formed endplate flange with the end of a Type L pipe end that I tinned with some silver solder. After filing and sanding the outside of the flange, I ended up with an OD of 1.978. I can reduce it a bit more, but as is, would require very little grinding if you chose to go this route.
IMG_8388 copy.jpgType K test copy.jpg
Thanks Twisted, I’ll definitely reach out via PM or email. Thanks for the feedback, and inspiration! I think I mentioned several posts back that it was in fact your EZ solder shotgun post that had me change my design plans from a Liebig to a shotgun!:thumbup: :thumbup:
Mashable
Novice

Post by Mashable »

Looking for a little more insight! I have decided to flip the keg and use the original 2” as my drain and go with a 3” column that will be modular compatible. What I’m worried about is the fit up for soldering; I have a 3” hole saw, and I’m worried about the die press stamp making the bit walk and going oblong on me! I’m tempted to just go at it with the 3” knowing full well it will be pooched, and put a 4” ferrule (opening it up with a die grinder) and reduce to 3” for my modular column.
I’m getting into this now as I wait for some wind chimes! 😜

Anyhoo, this is where I’m at right now, also I picked up a 5500 uldw Camco element, which I plan on running with a SCr 10000w 75a 220v controller I ordered from the allibabba. I’ll put together a proper build thread once I gather everything and all the bits and what not are organized. Just thought I’d prod for some pointers or critique.

Cheers all!
9E175DA7-94AB-4053-BC16-4328FA4885E0.jpeg
AA92C93D-ECAE-4AA9-8403-B3A1B1BFE625.jpeg
Mashable
Novice

Post by Mashable »

48D2AC82-B268-437A-9C41-ABE5E2775C19.jpeg
The bits I’ve gathered so far.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Looks like you are well on the way to a proper still there
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
Mashable
Novice

Post by Mashable »

02F4B1F6-ACB4-45AF-B4D6-04F82C16A130.jpeg
Today’s big score! A box with 5 copper tee’s 3”x1-1/2”x3” picked up the whole lot for $100 CAD, I’m sure I can figure a way to incorporate these....
Last edited by Mashable on Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

I'd be interested to see how you use those. I can see a use if the reduced fitting was on the side rather than the top/bottom, then it could go out to a liebig/lyne arm. I'll be following this build for sure.
Mashable
Novice

Post by Mashable »

Double posted, whoops
Last edited by Mashable on Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mashable
Novice

Post by Mashable »

Deplorable wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:18 am I'd be interested to see how you use those. I can see a use if the reduced fitting was on the side rather than the top/bottom, then it could go out to a liebig/lyne arm. I'll be following this build for sure.
My initial thought was to sacrifice the reduced end(chop it off), and silver solder in 3” ferrules on all three ends, using long ferrule on the shortened leg, got to be a way. For $100 I couldn’t refuse, I priced these new and it almost scared me to stainless. Patience, slow and steady, in the end I’ll be happy! I hope.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

With everything you've collected why not add a thump keg to the mix
Mashable
Novice

Post by Mashable »

^already have keg #2 coming for thumping, was trying to wait and post it! You’re too quick.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Mashable wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:26 am
Deplorable wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:18 am I'd be interested to see how you use those. I can see a use if the reduced fitting was on the side rather than the top/bottom, then it could go out to a liebig/lyne arm. I'll be following this build for sure.
My initial thought was to sacrifice the reduced end(chop it off), and silver solder in 3” ferrules on all three ends, using long ferrule on the shortened leg, got to be a way. For $100 I couldn’t refuse, I priced these new and it almost scared me to stainless. Patience, slow and steady, in the end I’ll be happy! I hope.
Well with as many as you have there, using that method you could make a few plated sections...
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

I like it! I would be tempted to make a four-plater using sightglasses from Still Dragon. $20ea for a 3" copper tee is hard to beat.

Note: you haven't even conducted your first mash yet and you already have a copper, um, focus. I've heard there is such a thing as a 12-step program for copper addicts but like most of us, would just deny it.

Oops - missed Deplorable's post...

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Mashable wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:03 pm ^already have keg #2 coming for thumping, was trying to wait and post it! You’re too quick.
I'm gonna follow this build
Mashable
Novice

Post by Mashable »

I’ll say this, “What the blazes is going on!”....

I started out with a mindset that I’d be making a simple pot still with a liebig, for some good “Corn Likker” and now I’m knee deep in a modular build, with sight glass and bubble plate sections, shotgun condensers, re-flux capacitor(doc brown design of course) 4” sections 3” sections 2” sections, thumpers, electric elements, controllers, freaking 220v breaker panels, Holy moly! I’ve found myself quite the hobby, I mean rabbit hole!

Does anyone have the contact info for that fella whom said it’s cheaper to make yer own! I’d like to have a quick chat.

Full blown copper fever, and I’m not even close to producing a drop!

Is this a ridiculous concept/configuration? Or just chop and go with regular plated sections?
008901E5-0992-4E72-98C8-4B410CEBE1D2.jpeg
D7A91324-BD3A-4A37-8342-B5A8A8ADF2C4.jpeg
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Cut them and add ferrules so you have the same size throughout your column I would say
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Whow all them reducers lots of money needto be replaced with straight pipe.
Mashable
Novice

Post by Mashable »

acfixer69 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:40 pm Whow all them reducers lots of money needto be replaced with straight pipe.
That’s the plan, the price was to good to pass for these, $100 for all 5 pieces, original thought was to chop the reducer portion off and solder in ferrules making custom 3x3x3 tee’s, the funky configuration was just a crazy thought, didn’t think it was efficient, just “spitballing”.
Mashable
Novice

Post by Mashable »

Mail man just dropped of a gem! I wasn’t expecting this for a few more weeks!
Guys, please let me know if I need to slow down on the posts, and start a proper build post from start to finish.

I can’t help but post every step I make! If it’s against the norm let me know! And I’ll likely keep posting. :crazy: :lolno:
BFD24BBB-4902-41C0-A805-142B8E337275.jpeg
10000w 220v 75a SCR controller for my Camco 5500w ULDW element.....
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

I think we all like pics of it all keep posting your progress
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Mashable wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:45 pm
acfixer69 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:40 pm Whow all them reducers lots of money needto be replaced with straight pipe.
That’s the plan, the price was to good to pass for these, $100 for all 5 pieces, original thought was to chop the reducer portion off and solder in ferrules making custom 3x3x3 tee’s, the funky configuration was just a crazy thought, didn’t think it was efficient, just “spitballing”.
It's your thread go with it. If it goes off we will try to guide it back.
Mashable
Novice

Post by Mashable »

Just waiting on some “wind chimes” and a bottle of Stay Clean liquid flux, then it’s time to get to work. Stay tuned!
2D60C869-6759-4353-9E6D-E0A13AF6AD48.jpeg
1F249199-3DC2-4DC7-92BD-9BD333552572.jpeg
F133B440-60FD-4949-9B10-5B26D692BADC.jpeg
Mashable
Novice

Post by Mashable »

Wind chimes have arrived, these really are the bee’s knees!
Just a dry fit, nothing measured, I will be breaking down, and surface prepping everything, figure out exact spacing and then solder.
029759DB-3E5A-4A7F-95E7-CB649C57FFE8.jpeg
9EE98B4C-582D-41BD-A727-FD9D0B5C7278.jpeg
548F5657-A3AA-40EB-903D-0505B784E3F9.jpeg
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

When you put the end on, make sure there is a recess into the vapor tubes.
Also, while dry fitting, plan out your output and input water ports close the the ends, and clocked so that you have the vapor tubes at 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock when it's mounted to the column. Drill and install your water ports before you install the vapor tube stack. 😉
Twisted's plates make for an easy build. Even a ham fisted ape like myself can build a shotty!