My first thumper, Maybe. Need opinions plz.

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

Hybrid pot still
Swill Maker

My first thumper, Maybe. Need opinions plz.

Post by Hybrid pot still »

So i want to install a thumper to my pot still. I been reading and i got i think is a gallon and a half SS pot, which was my very first little still, now serving as a thumper... Here are pics, look good to go or a likely fail? Using on my Little Bestie, which is 5 gallon
20210622_234723.jpg
20210622_234741.jpg
20210622_234750.jpg
Hybrid pot still
Swill Maker

Re: My first thumper, Maybe. Need opinions plz.

The top end copper will not be that length, i just haven't cut it yet because im still fitting everything together
Hybrid pot still
Swill Maker

Also my copper pipe is 3/4 in and out
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

1.5 gallon is just shy of the minimum 1/3rd of your boiler size rule of thumb. I would go with something closer to the full size of the boiler if possible. You'll limit the many capabilities of using a thumper with the smaller size.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
Hybrid pot still
Swill Maker

S-Cackalacky wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:20 am 1.5 gallon is just shy of the minimum 1/3rd of your boiler size rule of thumb. I would go with something closer to the full size of the boiler if possible. You'll limit the many capabilities of using a thumper with the smaller size.
I figured it was pushing it.. im just really want to run a thumber on Little Bestie, this is the only pot i have with a lid. and more reading ive done ive learned they fill to some degree, like equilibrium. Is there a way to find where or estimate where this lvl might be in operation? I will not run this pot but, the way i have the V cut on both sides of the outlet pipe to the condenser as close as i can to the lid, just for vapor to have a easy way in instead of only floating to the edge if pipe, the V gives more access area i think? I do the same thing on Little Bestie still head also, is it worth it you think?
Hybrid pot still
Swill Maker

On the thumper inlet i also did the same think and its to the bottom of pot, or what was going to be my thumper, i will find a bigger one.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Sorry, I didn't follow much of that. Notches at the bottom end of the thumper input pipe are to assure that a potential vacuum doesn't collapse the boiler. This could happen when you shut down after a run and the boiler begins cooling down. With the V notches cut into the input pipe, the worst thing that should happen is that all the liquid will be sucked out of the thumper back into the boiler. There are other ways to simply open the boiler to the outside atmosphere.

The point is - if you do not have notches cut into the input pipe and the end of the pipe rests on the botton of the thumper, there's no way for the vacuum in the boiler to be relieved. The boiler will potentially collapse from the external atmospheric pressure.
Hybrid pot still
Swill Maker

S-Cackalacky wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:05 am Sorry, I didn't follow much of that. Notches at the bottom end of the thumper input pipe are to assure that a potential vacuum doesn't collapse the boiler. This could happen when you shut down after a run and the boiler begins cooling down. With the V notches cut into the input pipe, the worst thing that should happen is that all the liquid will be sucked out of the thumper back into the boiler. There are other ways to simply open the boiler to the outside atmosphere.

The point is - if you do not have notches cut into the input pipe and the end of the pipe rests on the botton of the thumper, there's no way for the vacuum in the boiler to be relieved. The boiler will potentially collapse from the external atmospheric pressure.
Oh, ok. I appreciate that info, i definitely dont want no collapsing, i bet that is a hell of a mess. Thanks Cackalacky
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

A thumper of 1.5 gal on a 5 gal boiler should do if you start with an empty thumper. It depends a bit on how you isolate the still.

The V-cut at the end of the input is smart. I also drilled some holes in the end.

And as S-Cackalacky said: as soon as you stop heating the boiler, open the connection between boiler and thumper.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Kareltje wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:13 am A thumper of 1.5 gal on a 5 gal boiler should do if you start with an empty thumper. It depends a bit on how you isolate the still.

The V-cut at the end of the input is smart. I also drilled some holes in the end.

And as S-Cackalacky said: as soon as you stop heating the boiler, open the connection between boiler and thumper.
All good points.

About opening the boiler to the atmosphere after a run - there are several ways to do this. The 2 boilers I have both have fill ports at the top. When I finish a run I immediately remove the fill port plug. Another method is to install a tee fitting somewhere along the vapor path with a ss ball valve installed on the outer leg of the tee. Just open the valve when you shutdown after a run. There are other ways of doing it that don't require human intervention, but you'll need to research that yourself if you're interested.

About the thumper size - yes, it will work, but it's usefulness will be somewhat limited. The reason I like having a large thumper is because it greatly expands what I can accomplish with my pot still. I can use it to increase the amount of wash I process in a single run. I can use it to distill on the grain washes by charging the boiler with clear wash, or even water, and charging the thumper with dirty wash. I can use it to introduce flavor additives - called shooting the thumper. I also use it for gin runs - with plain water in the boiler and my gin maceration in the thumper. These are a few of my uses. I'm sure there are probably others.

I have a small 5 gallon pot still with a 4 gallon thumper. I use it for small batch runs and final gin runs. I also have a 50L keg boiler and have plans to add a bottom fed keg thumper in the future.
Hybrid pot still
Swill Maker

S-Cackalacky wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:36 am
Kareltje wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:13 am A thumper of 1.5 gal on a 5 gal boiler should do if you start with an empty thumper. It depends a bit on how you isolate the still.

All good points.

About opening the boiler to the atmosphere after a run - there are several ways to do this. The 2 boilers I have both have fill ports at the top. When I finish a run I immediately remove the fill port plug. Another method is to install a tee fitting somewhere along the vapor path with a ss ball valve installed on the outer leg of the tee. Just open the valve when you shutdown after a run. There are other ways of doing it that don't require human intervention, but you'll need to research that yourself if you're interested.

About the thumper size - yes, it will work, but it's usefulness will be somewhat limited. The reason I like having a large thumper is because it greatly expands what I can accomplish with my pot still. I can use it to increase the amount of wash I process in a single run. I can use it to distill on the grain washes by charging the boiler with clear wash, or even water, and charging the thumper with dirty wash. I can use it to introduce flavor additives - called shooting the thumper. I also use it for gin runs - with plain water in the boiler and my gin maceration in the thumper. These are a few of my uses. I'm sure there are probably others.

I have a small 5 gallon pot still with a 4 gallon thumper. I use it for small batch runs and final gin runs. I also have a 50L keg boiler and have plans to add a bottom fed keg thumper in the future.
Im going to use my Turkey pot that came with my burner i just got, i forgot about that, and its at least 5 or 6 gallons, but it is aluminum though, what do you think about a aluminum thumper? Probably a no go huh?
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

It's not recommended. It's said that it can degrade over time from the acidic liquids and possibly even develop leaks. There's been some contention about whether or not there's some possibility of entrainment with the distillate leaving the condenser. I choose not to take the chance.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

S-Cackalacky wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:36 am All good points.

Very good.
I have 10-L and 15-L vessels and I can use these both as boiler and as thumper, depending on the job.

About aluminium: I do not like the metal, for several reasons. I used iron for some time, which can rust and start to leak, especially in the neighbourhood of copper, but that is not my main problem, that is just technical. But I do not want to get it in my food. Or my soil. And as it dissolves in both acids and bases, I avoid it as much as possible.