Modifying my claw hammer 10 gallon Pot Still

Moderator: Site Moderator

dgourley
Novice

Modifying my claw hammer 10 gallon Pot Still

Post by dgourley »

Hey Gents,

Been doing this new hobby about 6 months now and already have a dozen or so runs under my belt and loving it! I bought a claw hammer 10g pot still and it runs great but I already am hating the pasting of the joints on the column to the pot. I am wanting to clean things up a bit and add a 4” triclamp to the top of the pot with a 4” to 2” reducer and then simply add a 2” triclamp to my 2” copper column.

Questions to the group as follows:

1) Looking at measurements to the collar I made and the inner diameter of the 4” triclamp ferrule, do you think this is a solid modification that’ll get me where I would like to be?

2) my first plan is to make setup simpler, but the 2” triclamp system allows me to “pack the column” with scrubbers easier if I solder a clamp on the top and bottom of the column and then add one to the arm before it reduces to 1/2”.

3) Just started reading on refluxes and siteglass/bubble plates. Would this get me going towards adding in a proper reflux column at a later date?

Thank you in advance for your excellent help!

D2501D85-65A5-4D3B-B71C-FE42ED927CE1.jpeg
[/sub]
34740F37-77A3-46D9-BAE4-917DC7358782.png
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Modifying my claw hammer 10 gallon Pot Still

Post by rubberduck71 »

I'm running a Digiboil 35L with a 2" column. I just had the opportunity to borrow a buddy's Brewhaus rig w/ a 3" column. He has a thumper & reflux head attachment.

Do yourself a favor & just go for the 3", if you still have the flex to do it. Better all around performance, from what I'm seeing especially if you're going to head for a bubble plate set up.
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
dgourley
Novice

Post by dgourley »

Do you have a link to his setup?
3illmesmart
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 3illmesmart »

Looks like the 4" will fit good, over your collar. You could bend a flange if you need a tighter fit. 4" is big enough for me to squeeze my arm through if I have to, but an adaptor can get pricey. I buy tri clamp flanges and make what I want.