white corn meal conversion

Moderator: Site Moderator

chrisl
Novice

white corn meal conversion

Post by chrisl »

I started on Saturday with 50 lbs of white corn grits, 40 gallons of water. Boiled the water dropped in the corn grits slowly. I simmered the mash for about 2 hours and it was sticky so I through in some malted barley and some gluc to loosen things up. I let it drop to 145 degrees I then added 7 lbs of cracked barley malt and some gluc. I stirred it up good. That was about 7pm last night. I woke up this morning and all I have is about a 1/4 inch of clear liquid on top. I did a iodine test and still dark? What the heck did I do wrong. Do I start over or let it sit longer. Thanks for your help
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: white corn meal conversion

Post by Dnderhead »

what was the malt? ya I know it was barley but base malt is what you want and preferably 6row.
its best if you know the DP as that is what does the work.
Usge
retired

Post by Usge »

Dnder will get you straight on any problems with the malt/conversion process.

Iodine Test: Proper procedure (backtracking, just to be sure) would be to use a spoon, dip a small sample of the undisturbed clear liquid and put a drop of iodine (or tincture of iodine) into it.

Now, as to the reading: the color of iodine "is" dark. But, its more of a reddish/brown color. If the color of the iodine does not turn "darker" than it's natural state...then you have a clear sample (ie., no starches). If the color turns "darker", ie., "black"...then you have starches left. Just to clarify...it doesn't turn "lighter" as part of this test. It just stays the same as it's natural color. Just checking to see whether or not that's simply a misreading of the test..or that you actually have a problem with the conversion or not.
chrisl
Novice

Post by chrisl »

The Malt I used was a 2 row barley from premium malting. I have always used this 2 row for my conversion and never had a problem. The iodine test does turn darker than its original color. What I have always had when the conversion is done is what I call {falling} the grains have separated and fell below the now sugars. I have made a lot of cheese and its looks like curds and whey separation for lack of a bettor description after a successful conversion. What I have now is a 45 gallon pot of like {cream of wheat} with a trace of separation. I do nor know if I need to reheat and start all over? Or invite my whole town over for breakfast Thank you Guys
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

bare with me not with it today...
corn adds about 1/2 of what sugar does,1 lb of sugar makes 7%

so to git 7% with you need about 100lb total grains in a 50 gal ferment.
now if you used corn meal not cracked corn you would have better
conversion,because its "cleaner" that is parts like the germ has been removed.