New to distilling and need some help

Moderator: Site Moderator

Grid
Novice

New to distilling and need some help

Post by Grid »

Hi all,
Let me thank you all for a great site as i have been reading some Q and A and been getting the idea of what i am suppose to be doing.
Okay 3 days ago i finished making my pot still(same idea as Matt76) and not knowing (or reading here what to do) i started my first distilling.
I made 8lt water with 2.5kg of sugar and some turbo yeast.As i say not knowing what i was doing properly i got it at 40c and mixed all the sugar in ,added the yeast and started to boil :oops: :oops:
I now know that i have to let the mash sit in another barrel until it has finished bubbling. :D
On that first run i had no idea of what heat it was to be and it must have close to 100c(i have a electric temp gauge) the liquid coming out the cooler was a very smelly blue colour.What did i do wrong?I think it was the heat to high........am i right?
So yesterday i had some honey wine that was about 2 weeks old and thought i would still that after i read on this site that the temp should be around 78c.
I had it sitting at this temp for about 2hrs and nothing was coming out the cooler.so thinking it was not high enough i put more heat to it(up to about 87c) and left it for another 1 1/2 hours and still nothing.
I gave up disappointed and not happy that both attempts had produced nothing.

Can any one please help.
Grid.
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

dont no your way of cookin. you use lemon juice . did you clean outfit for
you used it .
sound like your mead wont worked off
get you a tester
so im tole
Ricky
Swill Maker

Post by Ricky »

before you can distill etoh you have to make etoh. it doesnt happen over nite. read under tried and true recipes and pick out one and let it ferment a coupla weeks unless you buy a hydrometer and learn to use it. as for the blue you either werent clean,run to hot or something in your wash didnt like the copper. do some more studying and it will come to you. good luck.
Day Late;Dollar Short
Chucker
Swill Maker

Re: New to distilling and need some help

Post by Chucker »

You’ve got a whole lot more reading to do than what you did. From your description you don’t have your head around either basic fermentation practices or basic still operation. You’re gonna need to crawl before you walk and you’re gonna need to look at more than the q&a section.
Start with the required reading section here. Don’t expect it to be quick or easy. There’s a lot to take in before you start anything up. You can get a lot of guidance here but not if you’re unwilling to do some research. Do that and then seek clarification as you proceed.
Best of luck!
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

He’ll figure it out “one of these days real soon” lol

Cheers!
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Sporacle »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:40 pm He’ll figure it out “one of these days real soon” lol

Cheers!
-j
Took me a while to get it :clap:
" you can pick your nose and you can pick your friends; but you can't always wipe your friends off on your saddle" sage advice from Kinky Friedman
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Might have lost interest in learnin, not logged in since Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:06 pm
Chucker
Swill Maker

Post by Chucker »

Good grief! I didn’t even look at the date :clap: