Salvaging UJSSM Gen 4

Moderator: Site Moderator

CypSteel
Novice

Salvaging UJSSM Gen 4

Post by CypSteel »

So it looks like I caught my first infection. I am not sure how it happened. It doesn't smell or taste terrible so I am considering running it, but I have some questions.
  • I would really like to salvage at the minimum backset for gen 5. Or should I just start over at this point?
  • If I should run it, do I just throw out the corn and clean out my fermenter real good to hopefully eliminate this infecting Gen 5?
  • If this is deemed safe to drink after distillation, should I mix it in with Gen 1-3 or keep it separate?
infect.png
Thanks in advance!
Hambone
Rumrunner

Re: Salvaging UJSSM Gen 4

Post by Hambone »

Run it for sure...the other options you mention are for you to experiment with.

Maybe add your backset hot to attempt to kill lacto, and re pitch yeast...
Good judgement is the result of experience.

Experience is usually the result of bad judgement..
Corn Crib
Novice

Post by Corn Crib »

The back set into the next ferment is why Uncle Jesse's Simple Sour Mash is sour but without cooking the corn, seems a lacto infection would be hard to avoid. Your's looks nice and familiar.

Seen many here on super high numbers of UJSSM generations and it amazes be, because after 3 generations I was having a hard time with low pH and lacto infections. Everyone's terroir is different I reckon.
MartinCash
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MartinCash »

Lacto infection should be safe and is actually encouraged by some for extra complexity and esters. It can go through a vomit-smell phase that often lasts a day or two, it's best not to run it while it smells like vomit. Just wait until the smell clears.
4'' SS modular CCVM on gas-fired 50L keg.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Run it and use the backset.....see what happens.
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chauncey »

i would say youre doing it right cuz the lacto infection is encouraged in this case. Ive made some funky infected ferments of UJ type sour mash and never had any problem with it at all. Just watch for butryic infection itll.smell like vomit as was mentioned, but the smell will clear up and then youll get some tropical fruit sort of notes from the esters. Dont run it before the smell clears up when it comes to butryic.
<no stopping to corner anytime [] no parking passenger zone>

When people tell me I'll regret that in the morning, I sleep till noon.
JesseMarques
Bootlegger

Post by JesseMarques »

Tell us your results after distillation, about the smell of backset also, what you decided to do. Because at this point it is clear that you are doing it right