Checking wash

Moderator: Site Moderator

HodyMac
Novice

Checking wash

Post by HodyMac »

Newbie here. I’ve got a batch of Deathwish Wheat Germ fining on day 6. One bucket still bubbling, the other has slowed way down.
I’ve read about checking SG but doesn’t pulling the lid off the bucket off kind of defeat the point of an air lock?

Is that what you do? Pull the lid off and if the SG is still high just put it back on?

Like I said, newbie.

And along the same lines, I’ve read people are fermenting in Brute trash cans. How do you keep the air out? Just the trash can lid?

Thanks!
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Re: Checking wash

Post by Saltbush Bill »

It is fine to take the lid off to take a reading....hell while there dip a finger in and have a taste.
We aint making beer to bottle here.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Exposing your wash to air isn’t a big problem .Keeping flys out that want to convert all your alcohol to vinegar is more of a concern . So long as they can’t get in , your good .
Towards the end of fermentation where you are likely to start wanting to test Gravity or have a taste , there will generally be sufficient alcohol in the wash that will offer a reasonable level of protection against any infection you might introduce hen taking a sample .
Obviously don’t stick things in there that is covered n mould and you’ll be fine
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Hi, as suggested by others there is no problem in lifting the lid for a short time. Those who do not use a bubbler (I had to do it in a fruit ferment due to lack of space) simply let the carbon dioxide escape from the lid which of course is not airtight. The problem may be if you can't distill after fermentation and have to let your yeast sit there for a long time. In this case it is better to use the bubbler. As said by the others you are not brewing so you can be less "delicate".
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

It certainly makes the most sense to follow best practices and airlock your wash in a secondary after AF while it’s clearing or otherwise waiting to be run. Rack off sediment / etc. During active AF it produces significant CO2 which is heavier than air and thus fills the top of the fermenter like a blanket of CO2 and protects against oxidation. It’s true that this isn’t a beer wine or mead ferment so sanitation concerns aren’t as strict and we often enjoy various infections in certain cases. If you’re making a neutral you’ll likely want as clean ferment as possible so no harm in keeping your protocol tidy and controlled so your yeasties have the best environment to do their job.

Cheers!
-jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
HodyMac
Novice

Post by HodyMac »

Thanks, everyone!
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

I ferment in a 70 gal conical tub with just a lid that is not air tight, when the ferment is close to being finished I rack into carboys with airlocks until I'm ready to distill. A bit of air will not kill your ferment.

Stay safe
OVZ