First Rum question

Moderator: Site Moderator

amlsml
Novice

First Rum question

Post by amlsml »

Used a recipe that came with my still. I have mile hi 8 gallon pot still. I used 1 gallon of un sulfured Molasses, 6 lbs of Cane sugar and 5.5 gallons of water. I used a Turbo Rum Yeast . I threw the yeast at 80 degrees, put on a fermenting belt and took an OG of 1.11, after 7 days my gravity reading is 1.20. Should I let it continue to ferment? No bubbles coming out, or can I distill it? from my calculations I am at 13% ABV? Appreciate the advice. When it is ready I will attempt to do a striping run first, then add back the dunder and redistill it slowly. Is there a recommend amount of dunder to use on the second distillation? Appreciate the help. Thanks
howie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: First Rum question

Post by howie »

your gravity reading is probably 1.020 for 13%.
i used to wait until i had the same FG for a few days, then wait a few more days.
i don't take much notice of bubbles anymore, as in, run it when they stop.
i usually leave it for another 7 days after obvious fermentation has finished.
Oatmeal
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oatmeal »

Difficult to take gravity readings with molasses. Stick yer finger in and taste. Sweet? Keep going. Sour? Ready to roll....

(Had to say it to give Saltbush a break)

No harm in letting it sit longer, too, it'll probably be better for it.
Through the magic of alchemy, our spirits live on.
Archee72
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Archee72 »

Once you finish that one have a read of Saltbushes molasses rum recipe in T&T and follow that, can’t go wrong
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Archee72 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:59 pm Once you finish that one have a read of Saltbushes molasses rum recipe in T&T and follow that, can’t go wrong
I’ll second that .

13% ABV is getting towards the upper end of where you want to be fermenting . Starts making too muck yuk .

Best keep it under 10% and closer to 8% especially for Rum .
A lot of folk do do a Molasses/sugar Rum and there are a few recipes in our tried and tested section . Pugi Rum and Hook Rum for example . Even Buccaneer Bob does .

My personal opinion of why this happened is that back 10-15 years ago , there seemed a desire for higher AVB washes . With many coming here from 20% turbos , bringing it down to 15% seemed like a good thing . You’ll never get that from straight Molasses , so Rum fermentations were sugar bumped.

The hobby as a whole has realised that higher ABV washes don’t produce good spirit . All new recipes are targeting closer to 10% for a Nuetral or Vodka but way less , 7-8% for Rums and Whiskies.

Saltys Rum is 100% Molasses. Incidentally , thats what Commercial Rum distilleries that make Rum from Mollasses do . It has a wash typically just under 8% and makes a good Rum .

Regardless , sounds like your Rum is ready for Running .
Enjoy the fun .

As far as adding back Dunder for the spirit run , only tried it once , seemed pointless .
Best to add it back to the next fermentation . Well , use no more that 10% . So if you’re making a 50 liter wash , only add 5litres of Dunder . You can add up to 20% for the first time you add it , but progressively bring it back to 10%
amlsml
Novice

Post by amlsml »

Appreciate it thanks.