How to make an everlasting PTFE gasket, Very Easily...

Moderator: Site Moderator

opus345
Novice

Re: How to make an everlasting PTFE gasket, Very Easily...

Post by opus345 »

Thanks for replies.

I wonder if I could reuse my All Bran cereal box.
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

fwiw, I used PTFE tape on my still. The white part flaked off and it turned clear.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Someone mentioned mat board earlier. That's what I've been using for sealing the lids on my stock pot still and thumper for several years - works well. Mat board can be found in most any art frame shop.

A tip - you can keep them nice and flat by storing then between two pieces of plywood clamped together with spring clamps. It makes them much more manageable when setting up for a run. Otherwise it can be like a monkey screwing a football.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

S-Cackalacky wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:00 pm Someone mentioned mat board earlier. That's what I've been using for sealing the lids on my stock pot still and thumper for several years - works well. Mat board can be found in most any art frame shop.

A tip - you can keep them nice and flat by storing then between two pieces of plywood clamped together with spring clamps. It makes them much more manageable when setting up for a run. Otherwise it can be like a monkey screwing a football.
Do you wrap the mat board with PTFE tape?
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Bushman wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:39 am
S-Cackalacky wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:00 pm Someone mentioned mat board earlier. That's what I've been using for sealing the lids on my stock pot still and thumper for several years - works well. Mat board can be found in most any art frame shop.

Do you wrap the mat board with PTFE tape?
Yes, sorry. I do 3 or 4 wraps.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
River Rat
Swill Maker

Post by River Rat »

Have any of you all noticed a residue left by the PTFE tape on the sealing surfaces? I decided to try one of these gaskets instead of flour paste for sealing my homemade copper cone to the top of a SS keg. It sealed nicely but every time I take it apart to clean up after a run there is an "imprint" of the gasket on top of the keg. It's a discoloration that is the mirror image of the spiral wraps of teflon tape. It is VERY hard to get off the keg. It's not really causing me any problems but it makes me wonder how inert and stable PTFE tape really is.
Plain ole pot rig.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

River Rat wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:31 pm Have any of you all noticed a residue left by the PTFE tape on the sealing surfaces? I decided to try one of these gaskets instead of flour paste for sealing my homemade copper cone to the top of a SS keg. It sealed nicely but every time I take it apart to clean up after a run there is an "imprint" of the gasket on top of the keg. It's a discoloration that is the mirror image of the spiral wraps of teflon tape. It is VERY hard to get off the keg. It's not really causing me any problems but it makes me wonder how inert and stable PTFE tape really is.
No but I only use mine on my. Essential Oil still which is water vapors not alcohol if that would make a difference.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Can’t say I have River Rat .
I usually get a imprint if the flange on my gasket .
Maybe try a different brand of tape incase the one you are using is not good teflon .
River Rat
Swill Maker

Post by River Rat »

I have tried two brands with the same results. I'm sure the residue is probably from condensed vapor trying to seep under the gasket rather than the teflon leaching something onto the stainless. It's just so dang hard to get off.
Plain ole pot rig.
Old Man Bakke
Novice

Post by Old Man Bakke »

Is this what folks are using as a gasket when it comes storing their high abv spirits in glass jars? Looking to replace the rubber one that comes with the glass lids.
"If you look down at me you'll see a fool; if you look up at me you'll see a god; if you look straight at me you'll see yourself"....C.manson
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

River Rat wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:31 pm Have any of you all noticed a residue left by the PTFE tape on the sealing surfaces? I decided to try one of these gaskets instead of flour paste for sealing my homemade copper cone to the top of a SS keg. It sealed nicely but every time I take it apart to clean up after a run there is an "imprint" of the gasket on top of the keg. It's a discoloration that is the mirror image of the spiral wraps of teflon tape. It is VERY hard to get off the keg. It's not really causing me any problems but it makes me wonder how inert and stable PTFE tape really is.
i had issues with the teflon flaking off the tape in tiny white pieces and leaving only a clear material behind. I know it's so safe you can drink it but I don't want to.
RC Al
Swill Maker

Post by RC Al »

Came across some tape marked 100% teflon, I haven't managed to get some yet, but I dare say if the label doesn't say that, then it isn't.

Do some research on the brands available to you and see if they list it as 100% and that the company is standards certified - ANSI, ISO AS/NZ etc - this will imply that they aren't lying.

I tried some generic tape on the plates in my glasser and it turned clear, so ive been putting up with my (internal) plate leak for now, going to track some good tape down soon, I miss my 2% lols