How do you make a car rim burner?

Moderator: Site Moderator

Husker
retired

Re: How do you make a car rim burner?

Post by Husker »

You will NOT regret it blanik. I brazed one up a couple years back, when I had some left over angle iron from a different project. The rim directs the heat pretty well. And best off, you could put a 50 gallon boiler on it. Damn near indestructible.

H.
Hillbilly Rebel: Unless you are one of the people on this site who are legalling distilling, keep a low profile, don't tell, don't sell.
Hack
retired

Post by Hack »

Is there any advantage to building one of these with a burner from a hot water tank? I've got an old gas hot water tank I was going to get rid of and could use the burner from. It's a natural gas tank but I'd have to run propane on it. As long as I use a propane regulator will that be fine?
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Hack wrote:Is there any advantage to building one of these with a burner from a hot water tank? I've got an old gas hot water tank I was going to get rid of and could use the burner from. It's a natural gas tank but I'd have to run propane on it. As long as I use a propane regulator will that be fine?
Orifice size is different on lp and natural gas pressures to operate at are also.Some can be switched easily others cant .Id look at btu rating to see if burner big enough to heat the size boiler your using.If both lp and ng btu ratings are nor listed on tank next time your at store look at ratings on lp model same size . However if ya change orifice size use regulator and hose like off a gas grill ya can make it work.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Barney Fife
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Barney Fife »

Propane has a higher BTU content than NG, so for home use, NEVER swap one for the other, but for one of these burners, it may actually be an advantage. You'll have to adjust the air a bit to get the flame nice and glue, but that should prove easy.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Barney Fife wrote:Propane has a higher BTU content than NG, so for home use, NEVER swap one for the other, but for one of these burners, it may actually be an advantage. You'll have to adjust the air a bit to get the flame nice and glue, but that should prove easy.
Most home cook stoves / dryers can be used for either by adjustments or using changeover kits.Water heaters around here are usually one ore the other.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Barney Fife
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Barney Fife »

Right; the adjustment is via a needle, and the kit changes a jet size. Propane, with its higher BTU content, burns hotter, thus requires a smaller jet. But for for use here, that won't much matter, as we dial 'em up or down as necassary anyhow, where a home water heaters is simply on or off.
Hack
retired

Post by Hack »

Thanks, everyone. It sounds like it's worth a try, when I get the time.
chaos
Novice

Re:

Post by chaos »

new_moonshiner wrote:As requested ,

will this burner heat a 50L keg? looks kinda small for that i have a triple gas burner (about the diameter of a dinner plate) thinking of using this design for that!
Titus-a-fishus
Swill Maker

Post by Titus-a-fishus »

I've done a burner from a 14 inch car rim..... .
The 50 litre keg fits too neatly
Stops the air flow .... so had to add a couple of pieces of angle iron to lift the keg up.

All I did was cut a section out of the rim to fit a three ring burner in and paint it ( the rim) with heat resistant paint

First run everything stank of rubber .... since then.... it's all good

TAF
We haven't got the money so now we have to think
Build it, don't buy it
chaos
Novice

Post by chaos »

thanks can i get the gas usage of that burner pleese as i guide
Titus-a-fishus
Swill Maker

Post by Titus-a-fishus »

Don't really know
Haven't emptied a full gas bottle (9kg) yet
Since making the rim burner it is more economical as the flame is closed in
So uses less gas to keep it running

Always start with the three burners going full bore
then trim back to just the middle one on low

A part used bottle of gas without the rim burner took ..... 18hours or more of use to empty
So I suspect 25hrs or so of use ...... just a guess though

TAF
We haven't got the money so now we have to think
Build it, don't buy it
chaos
Novice

Post by chaos »

thanks didnt need like a full description that a great help thamkyou
O'Mahony
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by O'Mahony »

I really like the utility of the "Car Rim Burner" brilliant idea. I am at the point of trying to figure out a natural gas burner assembly to work off of. I wonder if they can't be improved with larger air holes to better scavange fresh air to the burner ring? Both of those set up's shown, if sitting flat look as if they may be challenged for air if the btu's were cranked up on the burner? Hmmm,.......... :idea: my wife never seems to use her spare tire. Cheers, O'Mahony
chaos
Novice

Post by chaos »

im deferentially going to try playing with this i have some old car rims lying rwd from partners ex and they were going to the tip till i layed clame to them now going to attempt some different ideas see Wat works the best