Connector identification question

Moderator: Site Moderator

Calamity Jane
Novice

Connector identification question

Post by Calamity Jane »

Hi guys. Boyfriend and I are in the process of building a 2 gallon ss thumper to complement 5 gallon ss pot still we already have. BF aquired the 5 gallon with the lid pre-fitted with port to accept tubing. My question is what is the actual name of the connectors shown in my pics? And also, is there rust accumulating at edge because there is another metal being used in there, like brass? I think I read on here somewhere that you need to "pickle" brass then work with it quickly before oxidation sets in? Is that what's happening to the underside piece?

Top of lid:
IMG_20210523_133632_89.jpg
Underside of lid:
IMG_20210523_133647_434.jpg
acfixer69
Global moderator

Re: Connector identification question

Post by acfixer69 »

The copper is a male adapter. The other to pieces are steel made for electrical connection and not suitable for a still. Do not use them.
River Rat
Swill Maker

Post by River Rat »

Yes those rusty nuts gotta go. They are lock nuts for electrical conduit fittings. You'll need to re-work your port with something that's all copper or stainless.
Plain ole pot rig.
Calamity Jane
Novice

Post by Calamity Jane »

Thank you for the heads up. What is the official name for that part, the locking nut? Are there 2 pieces to it, one for each side of lid, sorta acting like a collar? Is there threading or "teeth" to grip better onto the lid?
River Rat
Swill Maker

Post by River Rat »

It's just called a conduit lock nut. You have two of them there, one on the outside and one on the inside. The corners on the lugs are angled so that they bite into the metal and resist backing off.
Plain ole pot rig.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

Read acfixers post again, then study this.http://streamlineproductinfo.muellerstr ... ackedasset
be water my friend
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

Yes they are electrical conduit lock nuts. Remove those, clean the rust off the lid, and solder the copper to the lid with Harris Stay-clean liquid flux and Harris Stay-brite8 solder
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

The nature of your question makes me think you should put together a napkin diagram of what it is you intend to do.
This way the gang can keep you pointed in the right direction.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Here's a stainless steel locknut

Calamity Jane
Novice

Post by Calamity Jane »

LWTCS wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 1:00 pm The nature of your question makes me think you should put together a napkin diagram of what it is you intend to do.
Drawing.jpeg
Here's the best I could come up with. The lid in original pic belongs to 5 gallon mash pot. Looking into Harris Stay Brite.
Calamity Jane
Novice

Post by Calamity Jane »

Tummydoc wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 12:43 pm Yes they are electrical conduit lock nuts. Remove those, clean the rust off the lid, and solder the copper to the lid with Harris Stay-clean liquid flux and Harris Stay-brite8 solder
Thanks, looking into these.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Calamity Jane wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 1:48 pm
LWTCS wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 1:00 pm The nature of your question makes me think you should put together a napkin diagram of what it is you intend to do.
Drawing.jpeg

Here's the best I could come up with. The lid in original pic belongs to 5 gallon mash pot. Looking into Harris Stay Brite.
Ok sure.
Are you up to speed on the piping inside your thumper then?
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

I would (btw) highly recommend that you make your flake stand / worm at least as large as your primary kettle.

Those little tiny worm buckets you see on the internet simply have minimal knock down power for the duration of the run. You'll be an ice jockey in no time.

Certainly you can plumb in a fresh water replacement system.
Hobby Thumper Outfit.png
Calamity Jane
Novice

Post by Calamity Jane »

shadylane wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:08 am Here's a stainless steel locknut

Thanks for this!
Calamity Jane
Novice

Post by Calamity Jane »

LWTCS wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 1:51 pm
Drawing.jpeg

Ok sure.
Yes I think so. Thumper will have long 1/2 in copper tube going to bottom. BF cut end of piece in half about 1/2 inch up then cut off one half to direct steam towards center of charge. Then exit port that will connect to our current condenser.
Calamity Jane
Novice

Post by Calamity Jane »

LWTCS wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 2:38 pm I would (btw) highly recommend that you make your flake stand / worm at least as large as your primary kettle.

Those little tiny worm buckets you see on the internet simply have minimal knock down power for the duration of the run. You'll be an ice jockey in no time.

Certainly you can plumb in a fresh water replacement system.

Hobby Thumper Outfit.png
Current condenser is a 5 gallon plastic Homer bucket with 1/2 in copper coil worm. We went with a 2 gallon thumper to stay at 40% of mash pot.
Calamity Jane
Novice

Post by Calamity Jane »

Calamity Jane wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 4:15 pm
LWTCS wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 1:51 pm
Drawing.jpeg

Ok sure.
Yes I think so. Thumper will have long 1/2 in copper tube going to bottom. BF cut end of piece in half about 1/2 inch up then cut off one half to direct steam towards center of charge. Then exit port that will connect to our current condenser.
Sorta like this:
attachment=0]Drawing-2.sketchpad.png[/attachment]
Attachments
Drawing-2.sketchpad.png
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Yes Miss Jane.
That is what needs done.
A clear view can be seen if you click on my 3D drawing.
Though I did not show the cut end as your beau intends to do.
It's not a bad idea at all btw.
EDP_80
Novice

Post by EDP_80 »

alamity Jane
Novice
Report Quote
Post Sun May 23, 2021 3:33 pm

Thank you for the heads up. What is the official name for that part, the locking nut? Are there 2 pieces to it, one for each side of lid, sorta acting like a collar? Is there threading or "teeth" to grip better onto the lid?

It’s a “Bulk-head fitting” yes they come in brass and copper all types of material but they are used when hydralauic lines have to pass through a compartment wall it secures the point of entry also used on brake systems, air systems things like that!
Calamity Jane
Novice

Post by Calamity Jane »

EDP_80 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:53 pm alamity Jane
Novice
Report Quote
Post Sun May 23, 2021 3:33 pm

It’s a “Bulk-head fitting” yes they come in brass and copper all types of material but they are used when hydralauic lines have to pass through a compartment wall it secures the point of entry also used on brake systems, air systems things like that!
Thank you for info.