Where are you running your still

Moderator: Site Moderator

Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Re: Where are you running your still

Post by Rrmuf »

I looked into the CO2 output and "internet research" suggests that a 20l fermenter would product about 500l/~.8Kg of CO2 (over ~ a 5 day period(?) ) If I got that right, then it amounts to .15Kg/day. By comparision, an average human produces about 1Kg/day. So, on the surface, based on unreliable sources I don't think it is a concern at least for my situation. ... My wife produces more CO2; but I ensure an air outlet regardless because the biggest cause of her CO2 output (and risk to my personal safety) is fermentation odours. :-)

.... If someone had different more reliable numbers, please correct the above.
Last edited by Rrmuf on Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
-- Rrmuf
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

No one's ever died in my basement and I have at times had a "few" active ferments in 20g, 32g, and 55g fermenters going at once without any special ventilation - just your typical unfinished basement. I did rig up an HVAC supply vent that I sometimes open up but no return...

I have had tastings down there with VIP Guests where folks may have ended up on the floor - I try to make sure that no matter how hard they try we just can't drink it all today... Invariably a few have tried and ended up with a few funny foto's lol..

Cheers!
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

.... yes, It's a hobby with certain perils ;-)
-- Rrmuf
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I'm quite sure that everyone who has died from CO2 in their fermentation room 'knew' that what they were doing was safe. :roll:
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

I've never heard of any such case: DO we know anything about those cases? Volumes of fermentations, etc? To this relatively new guy and I bet many newbies, this is a risk I never anticipated, so it would help to quantify it. Above is my admitedly crude attempt at it. A good understanding could be summarized in the safety section.

I also read elsewhere on the forum contradictory information: Under "CO2 Toxicity"

"by Home Distiller » Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:58 pm

triggernum5 wrote:
so assuming ~30lbs of sugar, you're looking at ~4000L/100h or 40L/hour

It's also worth noting that we humans also produce an amount of CO2 anyways, apparently the average adult breath contains 35,000 to 50,000 ppm of CO2, and the average human breaths 30 to 40L per hour, which means 1 to 2 L per hour of CO2...

Based on your calcs, and the amount of sugar I'm using I came out at about 12L/hr of CO2 which is no more then about 5 adults cohabitating..."
-- Rrmuf
zed255
Distiller

Post by zed255 »

I've had fermentations both kill and incapacitate mice in my basement, most assuredly due to CO2 building up on the floor. The layer wasn't thick enough to cause me problems but certainly made me aware it could happen. Interestingly neither cat would spend any time downstairs at the height of fermentation now that I'm thinking of it.

Now when I use my largest fermenters I ensure the HVAC fan runs to turn the air over and periodically open a door to the outside.
----------
Zed

When the Student is ready, the Master will appear.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

zed255 wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:49 am I've had fermentations both kill and incapacitate mice in my basement, most assuredly due to CO2 building up on the floor. The layer wasn't thick enough to cause me problems but certainly made me aware it could happen. Interestingly neither cat would spend any time downstairs at the height of fermentation now that I'm thinking of it.

Now when I use my largest fermenters I ensure the HVAC fan runs to turn the air over and periodically open a door to the outside.
How big are these largest fermenters? Volume-wise, the most I ferment is 45-50l of wash @~9% ABV. Your basement environment probably resembles the same construction as mine, possible exception being mine is a walk-out.

... I was also thinking I could run a plastic hose hook-up from the airlock vent through a window to the outside. The potential gotcha here is it would have to push that (heavier) CO2 an extra meter up before it would slide back down and out....
-- Rrmuf
Fletching
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fletching »

I ferment in the utility room and run still in my garage. I have a large garage and haven’t bothered installing ventilation, but some reflux runs when I spend all day in there, I’ll open a couple of doors and run a fan.

I think we can all agree that a separate 30X40 shop with heating/air dedicated solely to the hobby would be great… one can dream!

Interesting notes about the CO2. Never even thought about it affecting animals in the household.
Here’s to lobster tail and whiskey. Three of my favorite things.

Easy Maceration Boiler https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... 7#p7691427
zed255
Distiller

Post by zed255 »

Rrmuf, my biggest volume I can handle is about 210L in a single fermenter, I also have three Brutes and four 'normal' sized fermenters. Only ever noticed effects of fermentation at the 200L mark, usually a vigorous sugar wash or rum.
----------
Zed

When the Student is ready, the Master will appear.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

Thanks zed! That tells me I *probably* have no need for concern, but I'm not off by an order of magnitude.
-- Rrmuf
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Fletching wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:36 am

Interesting notes about the CO2. Never even thought about it affecting animals in the household.
Or put out the pilot light on a hot water heater.
Corn Cracker
Swill Maker

Post by Corn Cracker »

I ferment in carboys and buckets the guest bath tub, we only have our adult kids coming over and an occasional buddy, they all know what i do anyway.

I do my 15g stripping runs just outside my garage in the driveway over a propane burner, I'm out in the county on a dead end rd , you'd have to to really stop and look to see what i was doing and the dogs and myself would be greeting ya before you could figure out what i was doing.

My spirit runs are done in my 5g alembic on the kitchen stove, for now till i come up with a better set up for it
"To ease the pressures of this world here's the way i got it figured, the thing to do for me and you is to drink lots of good corn liquor"
Buck Owens
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

.... tough running a still outside where I live :-) ... very secluded though.
-- Rrmuf
trashcangin
Novice

Post by trashcangin »

I run in my basement, still is electric obviously. I built a little fume hood to vent any smells/fumes out a disused furnace vent, but that’s overkill.
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

I run my still along an ice cold mountain stream that runs through my property. I use the cold, clear water to make my mashes and run my condensers. I can pass the time catching native trout.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

squigglefunk wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:24 am I run my still along an ice cold mountain stream that runs through my property. I use the cold, clear water to make my mashes and run my condensers. I can pass the time catching native trout.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Yummyrum wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:17 am
squigglefunk wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:24 am I run my still along an ice cold mountain stream that runs through my property. I use the cold, clear water to make my mashes and run my condensers. I can pass the time catching native trout.
+1 keep that kind of glorious sh*t to yourself :moresarcasm:
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

:D :D ooops mayhaps I brag too loudly
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Maybe I’ll put some mountain vista pictures up in the laundry room so I’m not as green, get one of those cheap small water features. :lol:
That’s freaking awesome squigglefunk :thumbup:
One day…
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

squigglefunk wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:24 am
I can pass the time catching native trout.

I hope there's mosquitoes there. Big ones.

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn