charcoal filtering flavored shine

Moderator: Site Moderator

Dalejr68
Novice

charcoal filtering flavored shine

Post by Dalejr68 »

i have read lots on this and still confused
i am using a pot still and doing (playing) with some rum and whiskey flavored shine
i have seen that some ppl filter there product as soon as it comes out of worm

what kind of charcoal would they be using?
what is the process to get the charcoal ready to use for filtering ( ie soak it in water first...???)???
Would this not strip the flavor out of the shine?

i want to filter mine atleast once but dont want to lose all that work and money by stripping my rum or whiskey flavor

i put this under novice because i am still learning but have been doing it a year now and getting some good flavors for a novice.
BUT still not happy with end product....so going to keep trying and tweaking

thanks you for any info....
i do appreciate it all

i will share any recipe i come up with once i am happy with it myself and is worth sharing

3 gallon stainless pot
copper lines
stainless condenser (i use some mash in my thumper)
copper worm
jon1163
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: charcoal filtering flavored shine

Post by jon1163 »

Besides using a coffee filter in my funnel while collecting the only thing I would ever actually filter is a neutral.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Exactly what jon1163 said.
Use a good recipe and yeast and there's no need to charcoal filter.
Make proper cuts and consider doing strip and spirit runs.
Dalejr68
Novice

Post by Dalejr68 »

fizzix wrote:Exactly what jon1163 said.
Use a good recipe and yeast and there's no need to charcoal filter.
Make proper cuts and consider doing strip and spirit runs.
i agree guys
but i just prefer to filter it
i find it really clears it up
take pride in my product
and i am an ex- executive chef :roll: :D ......so...probably says it all lol
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

It's certainly up to you, just be aware you'll be diminishing flavor and really not gaining anything.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

some good reading:

https://homedistiller.org/activated_book1.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

https://www.brewersdirect.com/product/a ... oalcarbon/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

2nd link: that's just an example, and a fairly expensive one. let google be your friend here you find more for less.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

My recent experience: I did a sugar wash using Still Spirits Distillers Yeast (Gin) and then a second ferment using the Turbo Classic 6 yeast (yes, a complete newbie and yes, they came with my still).
For all intents and purposes, the spirit was unusable without carbon filtering (in my opinion). I even held an unfiltered bottle back and asked my friends to smell the difference and the difference between the filtered and unfiltered was remarkable, to quote my friends "That one smells like metho".
My next ferment was a simple sugar wash using baker's yeast, took a LOT longer but the difference in smell from the first run was astounding, really sweet vis-a-vis the other packaged yeast products so I think I have learnt my lesson, but......
I decided to harvest some yeast from all my runs, I am trying to work out if the sharp taste from the Gin Yeast and the Turbo Classic 6 came from the rapid ferment (which I now believe it may have) or from some of the nutrients / additives contained in the yeast packets.
What I am hoping is that the yeast will be good and that this run won't have any bad after tastes.
THanks for listening!
Taking a break while I get a new still completed....
seabass
Rumrunner

Post by seabass »

Keep reading on how to make a product that isn't so bad that you need to remove as much flavor from it as possible. If you make something that is so bad that you can't even fathom drinking it ever, you need to change something in your process. Carbon filtering is a way to remove as much flavor as possible. If you want no flavor, use it. If your product tastes like ass, then it's just a band aid for a bad recipe and process.
malt_gt_milton
Novice

Post by malt_gt_milton »

+1

For a good neutral, hard to go wrong with a Birdwatcher's Tomato Wash. viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5018

Tastes great, and all you need is tomato paste, a bit of lemon juice (optional), table sugar, and regular bakers yeast.

Try it! You'll be glad you did. And you won't need to filter anything.

mgtm
And malt does more than Milton can
To justify God’s ways to man. — A. E. Housman (1859–1936)
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

Thank you malt and seabass,
I did get a reasonable spirit using bakers yeast, forgot to add that I basically mimicked Teddysad's fast vodka ferment but didn't use the bran, am going to try that next.
Getting there I think but again, thank you for your responses!
Taking a break while I get a new still completed....