Tools For The Trade

Moderator: Site Moderator

Tater
Admin

Tools For The Trade

Post by Tater »

Thought a thread of any helpful hints would be handy .A drill powered morter mud mixer Heres what I use to mix my washes I sharpened edges into blades to help when using fruits works great. http://www.contractorsdirect.com/Tile-T ... uick-Mixer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Last edited by Tater on Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
furball
Novice

Post by furball »

Hey Tater, thx for that idea with the mortar mixer. I was using a fruit juicer and what a major pain in the ass. I will have to go back into the shop a make one up out of stainless.

Furball
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

You can wrap white yarn around area before using flour paste on larger gaps and will also help from getting paste in product on any gap.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
possum
Distiller

Post by possum »

I used a ripped up wet white t-shirt impregnated with wet flour paste untill I reduced the gap size betweeen my boiler body and cap.

It took many times of using unsuitable gasket materials before I stumbled onto this method. Joining this forum sooner would have helped speed up the learning process also.
Hey guys!!! Watch this.... OUCH!
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

Post by junkyard dawg »

I've found a low cost grain mill I really like. It's called a Victoria. About 25 bucks from a lot of places. Northern tool carries one. I got mine from Callahans general store. Good solid mill that will do about anything.
Don Ventura
Novice

Post by Don Ventura »

Thought this was kinda nice for those of you that want the best of everything... A nice little grinder review site; gives results, and torque and all the techy info.

http://waltonfeed.com/self/grind3.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

might be a little hard to find the items on the site for good prices but hey its an option I guess.
According to that chart that Victoria grinds like Whoa....!

--------------------------------------------------------------
DAMN NUMBERS!!!
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

Post by junkyard dawg »

Thats a great link... I wish I had found that while I was looking into grinders... but, whoa? how do you quantify that?

It grinds fine for what we do...If you read that chart you'll see that it grinds one cup in 27 seconds. The next best is one cup in 2:13...talk about whoa... I can tell you thats finer than you need for what we're doing so thats really about half the volume you can grind in half a minute. Don't let that 18 pound force intimidate you Don, you can probably use the exercise. I filled two 6.5 gallon buckets a few days ago with it and it's a workout...25 bucks at the gym would do me no better.
knuklehead
Rumrunner

Post by knuklehead »

junkyard dawg wrote:I filled two 6.5 gallon buckets a few days ago with it and it's a workout...25 bucks at the gym would do me no better.
Speaking of which, check this out:
http://www.countrylivinggrainmills.com/country7.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
... I say God bless you, I don't say bless you ... I am not the Lord, I can't do that ...
Dane Cook
Don Ventura
Novice

Post by Don Ventura »

junkyard dawg wrote:...but, whoa? how do you quantify that?
LOL sorry man sometimes I forget that my "ebonics" doesn't come out very well in text. "like whoa!" is more of "Damn thats bad ass!!"

I was saying that becuase it has the highest output rate of all the other grinders, and although it does require more torque to opperate, I'm not against using a fair bit of elbow grease!

Cmon man take everything with a grain of salt. No harm, No foul homie.

------------------------------------------------------------------
DAMN EBONICS!!!
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

Post by junkyard dawg »

whoa!

I can't write to express myself sometimes... :roll:

I wrote all that with a grin... no bad feelings on this side...sorry if it came out defensive or aggresive or just dickheaded... I can be that way sometimes...drives my better half half nuts...

that line was a little funny though... wasn't it?
michaelb
Novice

Post by michaelb »

I use sugar. To mix I use a squirl cage paint mixer. It gets the job done fast.
"Don't let Fear or Common Cents stand in your way"
stillman
Novice

Post by stillman »

I was looking for the tolerance specs on the different types of Tri Clover gaskets.

Found thier website. This should be the link to the distilling part.

http://www.alfalaval.com/ecoreJava/WebO ... guageID=62" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

There is a lot of good reading there.

Cheers
You bring the fair maidens, I'll bring the panty-remover.
Blueraven
Swill Maker

Post by Blueraven »

I'd rec the Valley Grain Mill from Ontario, canada.

http://www.web.ca/~valley/valleymill.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

You can adjust the grind by adjusting the clearance of the wheels and they give ya plan to hook it up to a drill or a belt driven motor.

BR
Bujapat
Swill Maker

Old electric coffee grinder...

Post by Bujapat »

A few days ago, in my mother's cellar, I found an old electric coffee grinder... The date of purchase is still written on the box : 09/11/1974!
Today, I tried to grind barley malt with it and it works pretty good!
It allows me to grind 100 g at a time.
I'm french speaking!

Boiler : 50 L (13 gal) beer keg, gas heated.
Reflux : 104 cm (41 inches) column 54 mm (2 inches) diameter withh SS scrubbers packing.
Potstill : 40 cm (15 inches) column 54 mm (2 inches) diameter without packing.
Safegyde
Novice

Post by Safegyde »

That's pretty cool Bujapat!

Now find you an old copper still to fix up and make some old fashioned stuff to put in some old XXX juggs! :P
Shine on you crazy diamonds!!
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

I use apiece of foam 1/2 pipe insulation slipped inside paper
roil to transport hydrometer
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

these boy i no ben handed down a 3/4 ss pipe they cut to length an whitled peace of oak for stoper in one end wedged tite to stay an they cut a ole felt hat to make plug for other end. aint no tellin how old that tester is an it aint had a easy life. this one got a round end so it can check gal jugs not chug to the brim full . it come from a farmacy for makein
medisines way back when.

so im tole
absinthe
Rumrunner

Re: Tools For The Trade

Post by absinthe »

i just got one of these for $4 from the hardware and its great to clean out the condenser and any other 1/2" copper.. i had to bend the little loop in the end of the brush straight part from that she works a treat

Whiskey, the most popular of the cold cures that don't work (Leonard Rossiter)
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

1974 doesn't make it old. :shock: :shock: :shock:

blanik
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.
StabbyJoe
Swill Maker

Post by StabbyJoe »

suppose it's relative... I'm going to apply the "it's older than I am, and therefore can be referred to as 'old' in general" mentality and say that it IS old... especially for a little doodad like that.
HartShot
Novice

Post by HartShot »

HELP! I am looking for a mixer to chuck up in a cordless to use in a 6 gallong glass carboy. the problem I am encountering is the diameter... been to good old Home D. In the paint department they have this great squirel cage mixer for a drill but the issue is diameter. My carboy has a diameter of about 1 1/8 inch (about 3 cm, seeing as this is a global bunch). I thought about trying a piece of round stock stainless and trying to put a couple of bends/kinks in it, sure would cavitate but not sure of any real mixing getting done? Any ideas?
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

check this out you could make one--- http://pivo.northernbrewer.com/nbstore/ ... r&x=34&y=9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
did not come out for some reason #@@$%
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

http://pivo.northernbrewer.com/nbstore/ ... &x=31&y=12" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
looks like I did it this time????
HartShot
Novice

Post by HartShot »

Thanks Dnderhead, that looks like it will fit the bill..
HartShot
Novice

Post by HartShot »

ok, new issue! Either I have a bad alcoholmeter or I live in the best place! Used my new alcoholmeter for a coupe stripping runs and was about to cut for a spirit run and realize my tap water is 20% ABV! Not sure how a hydrometer goes bad? Any one have any simular problems?
Hawke
retired

Post by Hawke »

Sounds like ya got a bad one. Hold it by the bulb end and flick it like an old fashion thermometer. Bet the scale is moving around.
It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.
Valved Reflux, 3"x54" Bok 'mini', 2 liebig based pots and the 'Blockhead' 60K btu propane heat
Barney Fife
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Barney Fife »

Temperature of water?
HartShot
Novice

Post by HartShot »

Temp of water is 20c. Hawke, tried shaking the hydrometer and i dont see it moving... Guess this is just one of them things... but hey, i got 2 stripping runs outa it! Guess start buying them bulk!
Hawke
retired

Post by Hawke »

It's either too heavy or the scale has slipped down. Would like to find one that is calibrated and etched after it's made.
It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.
Valved Reflux, 3"x54" Bok 'mini', 2 liebig based pots and the 'Blockhead' 60K btu propane heat
snuffy
Swill Maker

Post by snuffy »

http://www.homebrewit.com/aisle/p/5044" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow -- The Corona Mil. These have been around since dirt. I cut the head off a bolt, threaded it in the shaft where the handle-securing bolt goes, added a jam nut and chucked that puppy into my ancient low speed 1/2" drill. 10 lbs of barley in 20 minutes.

the trick with these critters is to fill them up and then loosen the plate screw. Then while turning slowly with the crank, tighten the screw until the plate starts to bind on the grain. Then chuck up the drill, turn it on. The grain will come out uncrushed or only partly crushed. Tighten the screw until you get the right crush -- I go for just cracking the hull. Then tighten the wingnut on the adjusting screw and grind away. The instructions tell you to set the plates before grinding but it's damn near impossible to get it right when it's not turning. Do it while running and bob's yer uncle. this trick works when using the crank, but takes longer to get it dialed in.
Time's a wasting!!!