Pumping Wash Into Still

Moderator: Site Moderator

glasseye
Novice

Pumping Wash Into Still

Post by glasseye »

How are you moving wash into the still? I'm transferring 50L batches from a 55 USG fermenter.

I used one like this for two runs:

https://www.tenaquip.com/product/portab ... IIEALw_wcB

But it has failed. It spins fine and will pump water if the cover plate is loosened, but stalls on wash when properly assembled. I've inspected and cleaned and lubed with olive oil the pump cavity and it seems fine, but it just won't pump wash. It stalls.

Siphoning has proven inefficient, as has moving wash by bucket. :crazy:
tombombadil
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Pumping Wash Into Still

Post by tombombadil »

I've been wondering about this. Is there a special pump that's designed to move mash like material? How do the pros do it?
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

I use a pump like that for a sump in my yard when it needs it. They're not the best, but they're inexpensive. Maybe a flojet pump would be better?
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Tabucowboy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tabucowboy »

Found this:

The range of pumps that can be considered for handling solids laden liquids, slurries and pastes can be narrowed down to rotary lobe, rotary piston, reciprocating positive displacement, progressing cavity, hose, centrifugal and air-operated double diaphragm (AODD) designs.

This is the only one I found for solids on Amazon

This handles up to 3/8 in solid

This handles 1/2 in solids

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Wayne-1-6-H ... /203663848
CM Reflux Still -- Copper mesh 16" ,column 31" tall, dia. 2",temp at boiler,top of column, power - PAC w5500w Element
Pot Still -- Copper mesh 16",column, 23" tall dia. 2", temp at boiler, power - PAC w5500w Element
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Bucket and an auto syphon. 3 x 5g buckets less than 10 minutes in total.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by Crabmanstyle »

OP sounds like you need venting. No reason that pump shouldn't transfer. Have you primed?
Hambone
Rumrunner

Post by Hambone »

I use a Blichmann Riptide and love it. Fast and easy to prime. Handles hot liquids well.
Good judgement is the result of experience.

Experience is usually the result of bad judgement..
seabass
Rumrunner

Post by seabass »

Hambone wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:05 pm I use a Blichmann Riptide and love it. Fast and easy to prime. Handles hot liquids well.
Can it handle solids?
Hambone
Rumrunner

Post by Hambone »

seabass wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:17 pm
Hambone wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:05 pm I use a Blichmann Riptide and love it. Fast and easy to prime. Handles hot liquids well.
Can it handle solids?
I don't think it would. Has a sealed impeller that likely would jam up...but I haven't tried it.

glasseye
Novice

Post by glasseye »

Yes, primed. It'll run for a few seconds and then stall. Strange that it worked perfectly for a while but now, nope.
Hambone
Rumrunner

Post by Hambone »

If hose kinks or grain bed tight the negative pressure can cause theliquid to cavitate around the impeller and vapor lock. Maybe decrease your flow rate, if adjustable?

bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

I used a chugger pump and the trick to make it work was to have a valve on the outlet hose. Pump needed back pressure to keep primed.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
Kansas
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kansas »

bluefish_dist wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:43 pm I used a chugger pump and the trick to make it work was to have a valve on the outlet hose. Pump needed back pressure to keep primed.
With solids? I'd love to find a pump that could move grain slurry (cornmeal-ish) out to the compost pile.
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

Kansas wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:48 am
bluefish_dist wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:43 pm I used a chugger pump and the trick to make it work was to have a valve on the outlet hose. Pump needed back pressure to keep primed.
With solids? I'd love to find a pump that could move grain slurry (cornmeal-ish) out to the compost pile.
Only small amounts. Would not pump a true slurry.

My take away was that the pump needed restriction on the outlet to work. If not it instantly lost prime.
Last edited by bluefish_dist on Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

glasseye wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:52 am How are you moving wash into the still? I'm transferring 50L batches from a 55 USG fermenter.

I used one like this for two runs:

https://www.tenaquip.com/product/portab ... IIEALw_wcB

But it has failed. It spins fine and will pump water if the cover plate is loosened, but stalls on wash when properly assembled. I've inspected and cleaned and lubed with olive oil the pump cavity and it seems fine, but it just won't pump wash. It stalls.

Siphoning has proven inefficient, as has moving wash by bucket. :crazy:
What kind of pump is it ? Could be centrifugal , But Maybe its a flex impeller . If so, I’m pretty sure I read some where that the impellers wear and need periodic replacement . ... but thats unlikely after two uses

But are you saying that the motor stalls . ? ... that doesn’t sound good . How are you determining that its stalling .
glasseye
Novice

Post by glasseye »

Motor/pump stalls in use after a few seconds pumping. Motor disconnected from pump spins perfectly. Impeller and cavity appear normal.
Thanks for your interest.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I use an allinone winepump vacuum pump system to rack from fermenter into carboys for clearing then siphon 1/2 - 3/4 5g bucket to dump into the still. This system works well and I have used it extensively for wine xfers, bottling, bulk aging, and degassing to minimize O2 exposure.

I’d love a simple pump that doesn’t need priming for wash with minimal solids to xfer into the still. Something appropriate for low wines would be awesome too if anyone has any ideas.

Cheers!
-jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Crabmanstyle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Crabmanstyle »

With no solids there really should be no issue as the specs are fine from what I can remember. What's the inlet dia?
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I'm using a tiny 12v DC pump, sometimes pumping from a bucket that the wash is gently siphoning into, or is filtering itself into through the grain bed via the spigot. If I wanted to start earlier, I would get out of bed earlier, or use the spare pump I bought at the same time.

It's only the wash for the first strip that needs to be transferred quickly and that can be done by siphoning the clear off the top.

If you are using a preheater, you should easily be able to gravity filter enough wash through it's own grain bed to cover the preheater coil before the preheater starts to produce.
JC973
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by JC973 »

I use a tiny 110v, cheap, fountain pump, put 5’ of 3/8” clear hose then zip tied the hose to a 3’ stick so I have good control lowering it into the fermenter as it pumps the liquid out, when I hit the grain bed the grill on the front keeps the grain out and builds a natural filter so to speak, you can push it down and make a well in the grain bed and get 90% of the wash, close enough for me, but it will not handle solids. I like it because it pumps the wash with some force into the boiler and I hold the discharge high to knock as much of the CO2 out as it drops in. I know its likely not designed to do it but I pump my hot back set with it when making KSSF generations. I always have a bucket of clean soapy water ready when i get done pumping whatever, I stick it there and let it circulate and clean itself.
If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
glasseye
Novice

Post by glasseye »

Tabucowboy wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:44 pm Found this:

The range of pumps that can be considered for handling solids laden liquids, slurries and pastes can be narrowed down to rotary lobe, rotary piston, reciprocating positive displacement, progressing cavity, hose, centrifugal and air-operated double diaphragm (AODD) designs.

This is the only one I found for solids on Amazon

This handles up to 3/8 in solid

This handles 1/2 in solids

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Wayne-1-6-H ... /203663848
A sump pump makes good sense! Never thought of that. I have one sitting idle in my well. It runs about once a year during spring thaw to empty out the pump house. Since my annual shine run is in summertime, perhaps I can re-purpose it. Thanks!
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Have you thought about a macerator pump like this one?
https://www.amazon.com/Jabsco-18590-209 ... th=1&psc=1
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Kansas
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kansas »

Deplorable wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:25 pm
Have you thought about a macerator pump like this one?
https://www.amazon.com/Jabsco-18590-209 ... th=1&psc=1
I haven't! Have you heard of anyone using them successfully?
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Only for the intended purpose, which is moving waste water with chunks. It’s basically a compact, portable garbage disposal combined with a pump.
I have one made to fit on the end of my RV waste dump gate. It turns sewage solids into a thin slurry that can be pumped through a garden hose into the sanitary sewer clean out across the yard from where I park mr RV.