Brandy and Whisky Distilling

Moderator: Site Moderator

bilge
Novice

Brandy and Whisky Distilling

Post by bilge »

Hello my friends,
I started distilling since 2012 using different equipment. Now I have a new potstill. On the barrel a 40mm diameter and 70cm height st st column.
I read a lot but I am confused with brandy and whisky runs. The first one is at around 13%abv for brandy. But with a whisky beer I start at 8%abv. For whisky what I do is that to do a stripping run first. I go up to 93C and obtain low wines at around 50abv% to 55abv%. I dilute this low wine to 50% if neccesary and then make a spirit run slowly. Lets assume I obtained 5 liters after diluting to 50%abv. In spirit run I throw the first 2% as foreshots. Then throw away the next 5% for heads (or keep for recycling). I keep the next 23% as HEADS. The heads are at around 82%abv. I tried and find these ratios by tasting. After 23% there is definitely tail in the distillate. As a last step I use oak chips to taste (for a minimum 6 months).
One of my friends said that there is a lot of heads in your whisky! It is bitter.
What is your opinion? Is the above ratios are wrong? Thank you very much in advance.

Note: I use copper mesh on the column to strip 3 or 4 times to dilute the tails left from the inital runs. But this is not the subject of the top discussion.
Note2: Long live rye whisky :)
bilge
Novice

Re: Brandy and Whisky Distilling

Post by bilge »

Yesterday, I am diagnosed with herniated disk failure which need 100% surgery. So goodbye to grape baskets to carry. And whisky blends (small batches) are wellcome :)
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

First thing I'd recommend is putting tape over your thermometer. You can't run a still off temperature.
Then, strip your wash down to 5 to 10% off the spout or until you reach 30 to 35% ABV for your total collected volume. Then redistill it collecting in small sample jars. Let them sit out for 24 to 48 hours under a paper towel or coffee filters. Then go back and start from the middle of the run sampling each jar until you find the ones you don't like (diluted to between 35 and 40% of course). Don't make cuts by percentages. Each wash is going to be a little different.
Blend just the jars you selected as keepers, and dilute to 55 to 65% ABV for oaking. Once it's got the flavor profile you like from the oak chips, dilute it further to the drinking strength you prefer.
You'll find you get more to keep and by making cuts by smell, taste, and feel you'll wind up with a more flavorful product.
You have a lot to read. pull up a chair and some snacks, then read all the required reading at the bottom of the page and ask questions in those threads until you understand the information.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
bilge
Novice

Post by bilge »

Thank you very much for the reply. I have a very precise thermocouple at the top of the column. I read a lot the posts on "New Distiller Reading Lounge", "Novice Distillers" but confused due to that my results are not O.K. However, I think I have to fix it by TASTING. I tried to standardize the spirit run. But as you said "Each wash is going to be a little different".
Thank you very much again for the answer.

Bilgehan
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

Good luck with you disc. I went through a pinched nerve in my neck back in April, forcing me to miss my best friend's 50th surprise birthday party. I was really looking forward to it, as I'd filled a 3L barrel & had it engraved to mark the occasion. Luckily, no surgery needed, but I did get 2 spinal shots & several months of physical therapy. It was a NOT FUN process to get back to normal: I could only sleep on my back with pillows under my arm.

+1 to Dep's suggestions. Ignore temp & ABV when it comes to cuts. Use your taste buds!
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Remove a foreshot then ignore abv at the spout, temperatures and volumes and run until you have a 30% or lower low wines collection, or finish above 30%, but hold back some fresh wash to dilute the low wines to around 25-27%. This should get you a heart cut that is quite close to barrel strength and may not need diluting before aging.

This is roughly how I choose my cuts for any flavored product.

Use Kiwistiller's novice guide to cuts to find the jars that are the obvious heart cut and have no faults.

Jars that don't taste great on their own are needed in the blend to capture the flavor of the product, so:

Make up a sample of the obvious heart cut jars and taste it, then alternately add to the sample from jars from each end until you identify the jars that are one too far.
I use a 5ml dipper made out of a bent spoon, take my time, dilute to below 40% for tasting, use a spittoon and rinse with fresh water between tastings.

In my opinion, long airing lets valuable volatile flavors escape so is a trick best used for making neutrals, or for if you have an empty drinks cabinet and are in a hurry to put something in it.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

As they suggested the best way to make the cuts and use your senses ... each ferment will be slightly or very different so the percentages are only indicative. If you use a pot still, my advice is to run it slowly after stripping so as to have an acceptable separation.
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

For brandy I would strip until you are under 10% ABV. Then the second run use your taste buds to determine heads, hearts and tails. With whisky I HATE the taste of tails. So I cut off the strip run at 25% or so ABV, depending on taste. Then run again using only taste to determine cuts.

For apple and plum brandy (the two I make) I find that a lot of flavor is in the heads. So I cut pretty wide on the heads and then give it time on oak to settle down. For whisky I make tighter cuts.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

I'm very interested in a plum brandy. I'm just getting ready to distill my first corn mash ever. It's been fermenting for 2 weeks today. And I'm getting a bubble in airlock every minute or so. A couple more days and hopefully it'll be ready. My son makes his own wine. Is brandy better made from wine or a fermented fruit mash?
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Bradster68 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:22 pm I'm very interested in a plum brandy. I'm just getting ready to distill my first corn mash ever. It's been fermenting for 2 weeks today. And I'm getting a bubble in airlock every minute or so. A couple more days and hopefully it'll be ready. My son makes his own wine. Is brandy better made from wine or a fermented fruit mash?
Mash is made from grains. https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=58100
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

Bradster68 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:22 pm I'm very interested in a plum brandy. I'm just getting ready to distill my first corn mash ever. It's been fermenting for 2 weeks today. And I'm getting a bubble in airlock every minute or so. A couple more days and hopefully it'll be ready. My son makes his own wine. Is brandy better made from wine or a fermented fruit mash?
Depends. I think apple is best made from fresh pressed juice. Plums I ferment on the skins and stones.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Good to know. I have an abundance of pears and plums. I'll give it a try. Thanks
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

NZChris wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:02 pm
Mash is made from grains. https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=58100
Yes. Just saying the mash is the first thing iv done so far. A brandy will be next
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

Bradster68 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:41 pm Good to know. I have an abundance of pears and plums. I'll give it a try. Thanks
Pears I press. Be vigilant with your cleaning, I find pears like to get infected easily.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Good to know. Thanks for the help