Newbie first boiler build

Moderator: Site Moderator

Fastoz
Novice

Post by Fastoz »

boiler.jpg
So finished up the boiler today and it does not leak with water in it. Passed the first test so happy because my welding has much to be desired. But it holds hot water and got a citric acid bath tonight. Electric heating parts are on their way should be doing vinegar run by the weekend. So excited about that. Then I will learn to ferment and do my sacrificial run.
Last edited by Fastoz on Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CopperFiend
Swill Maker

Re: Newbie first boiler build

Post by CopperFiend »

Congratulations! Looks very slick 🙂 what are you putting above it?
Fastoz
Novice

Post by Fastoz »

So I am starting off with a 2” mile hi copper pot still. I figure with it being a basic set up I can add to it. I want to get the hang of this first before I go to crazy. Needed an electric boiler because Im distilling either in basement or garage and needed to weld in electric element fitting and I thought I would cut a few extra holes and i just kept going lol
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

Fastoz wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:18 pm Then I will learn to ferment and do my sacrificial run.

You can always do a sacrificial run with the cheapest store-bought liquor you can find ... provided you're not ashamed at dropping two or three handles of Vladimir vodka in front of the cashier.

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
FLOB
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FLOB »

I don't know if you've already ordered it, but if you can build that boiler, you sure as hell can build a pot still/leibig condenser too.
Fastoz
Novice

Post by Fastoz »

I thought about doing vodka but think I want to just try a sugar wash and work through the fermenting process to see how I do and how my environmental conditions effect it. I figure first fermentation would be a good sacrificial run.
SassyFrass
Distiller
Location: Sittin' on the side of the Mountain sippin' and smilin'

Post by SassyFrass »

FLOB wrote:I don't know if you've already ordered it, but if you can build that boiler, you sure as hell can build a pot still/leibig condenser too.
+1 agreed.
That's a nice boiler. Looks fine from here. You could build yourself a nice little modular system, that can be adjusted to make just about anything you want.
Might be something to contemplate.
SF
Simple Lil' Pot Still, no temp guage, no carbon, no scrubbers, nuthin' fancy. Sometimes use a thumper, sometimes don't.

Real good info for New Folks:
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Good boy. You could also use the same boiler as a fermenter since it also has a tap at the bottom, as long as you don't ferment very solid stuff.
Fastoz
Novice

Post by Fastoz »

FLOB wrote:I don't know if you've already ordered it, but if you can build that boiler, you sure as hell can build a pot still/leibig condenser too.
I did order it and have it already. Boiler turned out better then I could have imagined. I am more confident now. So when I add on I’ll be building it.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Nice looking piece of kit there.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
Fastoz
Novice

Post by Fastoz »

Demy wrote:Good boy. You could also use the same boiler as a fermenter since it also has a tap at the bottom, as long as you don't ferment very solid stuff.
Never though about that. Thanks for the idea. So is a keg tap a #10 rubber plug for airlock?
Fastoz
Novice

Post by Fastoz »

SassyFrass wrote:
+1 agreed.
That's a nice boiler. Looks fine from here. You could build yourself a nice little modular system, that can be adjusted to make just about anything you want.
Might be something to contemplate.
SF
Thanks. That was the plan. Still can grow as I grow as distiller
FLOB
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FLOB »

Fastoz wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:55 am
I did order it and have it already. Boiler turned out better then I could have imagined. I am more confident now. So when I add on I’ll be building it.
Good enough. Enjoy the still.
Fastoz
Novice

Post by Fastoz »

FLOB wrote:
Fastoz wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:55 am
Good enough. Enjoy the still.
Thanks
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Fastoz wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:59 am
Demy wrote:Good boy. You could also use the same boiler as a fermenter since it also has a tap at the bottom, as long as you don't ferment very solid stuff.
Never though about that. Thanks for the idea. So is a keg tap a #10 rubber plug for airlock?
If you want to insert an airlock you can also use the opening where you insert the column (it seems to me to be 2 "), there are rubber food stoppers for demijohns that would be perfect.
Cattura.PNG
Otherwise you could just place an airtight non-cap, you don't need a pure fermentation hermetic as it will be distilled.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Even with a drain. Cleaning out a still boiler that had a ferment going in it isn’t all that easy. It’s still easier to just use a separate fermenter. Just saying.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
Boozewaves
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boozewaves »

Fastoz wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:18 pm boiler.jpgSo finished up the boiler today and it does not leak with water in it. Passed the first test so happy because my welding has much to be desired. But it holds hot water and got a citric acid bath tonight. Electric heating parts are on their way should be doing vinegar run by the weekend. So excited about that. Then I will learn to ferment and do my sacrificial run.
its really nice :D , a filling lid and drain are great additions to a keg , I added them to my keg earlier last year , it cost quite a bit to buy the parts and some trial and error to fit them but beats carrying a heavy hot keg to empty it out and having to remove the column or pot stillhead to fill or empty
Become a distiller : start here viewtopic.php?t=52975
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Excellent job on the boiler - you’re off to a great start.

Enjoy your new rig!

Twisted brick
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Fastoz
Novice

Post by Fastoz »

Thanks for all the compliments. Now just have to make some good liquor
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Nice work on the boiler man
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
Seanjohn19
Novice

Post by Seanjohn19 »

Looks awesome 👍
SnowJeeper
Novice

Post by SnowJeeper »

Nice work! I really like the stand.
Fastoz
Novice

Post by Fastoz »

SnowJeeper wrote:Nice work! I really like the stand.
That was the easiest part. 1x1 aluminum stock cut into 3 equal pieces and 6 stainless steel bolts, nuts, washers and lock washers. They are bolted to the top and bottom rim. Don’t forget 1” rubber table leg ends
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Demy wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:14 am
If you want to insert an airlock you can also use the opening where you insert the column (it seems to me to be 2 "), there are rubber food stoppers for demijohns that would be perfect.Cattura.PNG Otherwise you could just place an airtight non-cap, you don't need a pure fermentation hermetic as it will be distilled.
Demy those stoppers are so far as I know not rubber.
Maybe nylon or something.
Red rubber imparts a stink to the contents of a jar.

Geoff
The Baker
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

The Baker wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:04 am
Demy wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:14 am
If you want to insert an airlock you can also use the opening where you insert the column (it seems to me to be 2 "), there are rubber food stoppers for demijohns that would be perfect.Cattura.PNG Otherwise you could just place an airtight non-cap, you don't need a pure fermentation hermetic as it will be distilled.
Demy those stoppers are so far as I know not rubber.
Maybe nylon or something.
Red rubber imparts a stink to the contents of a jar.

Geoff
That "gum" is for food (and made for fermentation) and it's white not red. They are usually food grade silicone.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Yeah but the word 'rubber' was used...

Geoff
The Baker
Fastoz
Novice

Post by Fastoz »

So I finished the control box today and for the most part, it works great. Glad I used a 5500-watt element it is like a rocket ship. On little problem with control, box forgot to hook up ground to volt amp meter gauge and Poof!!!! If that's the worst that happens it's all good. Did install a fan with thermostat control on SSR fines and it just kicked on its working great Doing another Citric acid bath to get rid of just a little more rust spots from welding and off to vinegar run. Also went shopping and got stuff to do first ferment for a sacrificial run. Using some turbo yeast for that, I got a free bag a brew shop today. I did buy some Red Star for realruns.
control box.jpg
runs
Fastoz
Novice

Post by Fastoz »

So the day has come and I have run 2 stripping runs of birdwatchers through the still and today I'm running the spirit run. This is defiantly a game of patients. Racked still with like 8 gallons at 40% and 7 hours later I have collected 9800 ML and it is still coming out at like 78%. Which is so cool but am I running too slow. I am getting about 23 ML a min by doing some simple math. Does that sound correct?
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Speed it up to about 300ml every 4 to 8 minutes. You want a nice thin, unbroken stream off the spout. Watch your temperature gradient on the liebig. Cold at the bottom and hot at the top.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Fastoz
Novice

Post by Fastoz »

Sounds good. The stream is way more broken than that I can see individual drips with space in between them. Ill turn it up just a little then. Thanks for the reply much appreciated.