Where are they

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

olddog
retired

Where are they

Post by olddog »

What has happened to some of the old faces like Uncle remus, Minime, etc I have not seen them on the forum for ages :?:
OLD DOG LEARNING NEW TRICKS ......
violentblue
Rumrunner

Re: Where are they

Post by violentblue »

minime is elsewhere, not sure about Uncle Remus
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

Like all other hobbies, a lot of people don't hang around forever. Some go away completely (though they may well continue the hobby for themselves). Some fade off into the background, still read the site, but only comment occasionally or not at all. And some find other stilling pastures to graze in.

All part of the choices offered by life's rich and wonderful tapestry. 8)
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

Yairss Hook, pretty well sums it up.

blanik
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Post by goinbroke2 »

I came on here when I first started and was on here daily (hourly) But now that I'm running batch after batch, I only come around when I have a problem or did something cool I want to pass on. (or when I'm loaded...but I won't go there) :roll:

I love the site and can't thank everyone enough, but I won't be on here like I was because I've got it worked out and now it's just rinse, repeat, rinse, repeat, gallon after gallon.

most will come back once in a while I would imagine, just for old times sake even if they aren't stillin'...
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
Fester
Swill Maker

Post by Fester »

goinbroke2 wrote:I came on here when I first started and was on here daily (hourly) But now that I'm running batch after batch, I only come around when I have a problem or did something cool I want to pass on. (or when I'm loaded...but I won't go there) :roll:

I love the site and can't thank everyone enough, but I won't be on here like I was because I've got it worked out and now it's just rinse, repeat, rinse, repeat, gallon after gallon.

most will come back once in a while I would imagine, just for old times sake even if they aren't stillin'...

GB2, you are a sage. So true. Every word. I'd like to be more active here and help the newcomers to stillin but life is just too busy and they all ask the same questions that I asked. All they need to do is search my lame first posts and all of their questions would surely be answered. There is a natural progression, I think:
My turbo is great.
Lots of booze through my simple pot still.
I want something better.
My god, turbos suck.
UJSM.
How much heads and tails?
How tall to build my reflux column?
Built my second reflux column. It works great.
Lots of clean vodka.
Now I want flavor.
All grain madness and back to a pot still.
Fill a barrel.
Fill a bigger one. Another one. Ok, one more. Oh, crap, I found a place to store two more barrels...
Finding something to do that does not involve distilling because I have a lifetime supply of booze and cannot stop making more. Help me, please.

At this point, we tend to ease off the forum and start another hobby. I don't know about you but I'm thinking basket weaving, hair braiding or nuclear physics.
Just gotta keep busy, ya know?

Fester
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

He he
All grain madness
That is about where I am up to.

Glad I still got a few steps to go before I need to seek professional help and start therapeutic basket weaving classes.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
Fester
Swill Maker

Post by Fester »

HookLine wrote:He he
All grain madness
That is about where I am up to.

Glad I still got a few steps to go before I need to seek professional help and start therapeutic basket weaving classes.

Hookline, start with candle making and sausage stuffing... and go up from there. Progress slowly to basket weaving... it is more difficult than distilling as everyone in my asylum ward will readily attest to.

Fester
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

Already got several boxes of candles. So I'll just skip straight to the sausage stuffing, sounds like much more fun. 8)
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
Fester
Swill Maker

Post by Fester »

HookLine wrote:Already got several boxes of candles. So I'll just skip straight to the sausage stuffing, sounds like much more fun. 8)

My shrink says that I'm doing very well with sausage stuffing. i'll put in a good word for you. Maybe that will keep you out of "Level 3" at the mental hospital. I hope so.

Fester
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

They have to catch me first. These super magic powers I have will protect me, along with that nifty tin foil hat I got from the aliens.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
Fester
Swill Maker

Post by Fester »

HookLine wrote:They have to catch me first. These super magic powers I have will protect me, along with that nifty tin foil hat I got from the aliens.
Be warned HookLine, the tin foil hat only works up to "level 2"... trust me on that. All aliens know it. You need "the eye" and not super powers to survive.
Remember: proper cuts, "the eye" and use twice as much yeast as you think you need and you too will reach Level 4 and basket weaving nirvana.
Don't let them give you the red pills.

Fester
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

Don't let them give you the red pills.
Uh oh. Too late.

Heeeeeeeeelllllp.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Fester wrote:Don't let them give you the red pills.

See now, I've been taking the red pills since day one and I feel splendid.

It's been 3 or 4 days now and nothings happened to me.

But coincidendly I've noticed that everyone else does seem a bit off these past few days.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Hack
retired

Post by Hack »

Fester wrote:At this point, we tend to ease off the forum and start another hobby. I don't know about you but I'm thinking basket weaving, hair braiding or nuclear physics.
Just gotta keep busy, ya know?
I've got plans percolating to build an airplane, and a grass landing strip in my field. I might want to learn how to fly in there somewhere too, but I'm not done exploring stilling yet either.
Bujapat
Swill Maker

Post by Bujapat »

Hello,

I come and read you all as frequently as possible... I didn't change of hobby... But my own forum (french speaking) takes a lot of time...

I'll never forget the guys that helped me to do the first steps (I specially think about Uncle Jesse, Tater, Uncle Remus and a few others...)

I also must say that I'm forgettin' my english since I write about distillation in french and not in english !!!

I've in the cellar 50 litters UJSM getting older... Each time I drink it do I think about Homedistiller !!!
I'm french speaking!

Boiler : 50 L (13 gal) beer keg, gas heated.
Reflux : 104 cm (41 inches) column 54 mm (2 inches) diameter withh SS scrubbers packing.
Potstill : 40 cm (15 inches) column 54 mm (2 inches) diameter without packing.
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

Dunno what my next hobby will be..done beer,wine,whiskey,dragracing,stockcar,mudbogging,off roading,gynecology,surfing,model cars,nasel flossing,gynecology again,fishing with a shotgun,burning ants with a propane torch,demo derby's,gynecology until the wife caught me,hunting neighbors cats with a pitchfork,blowing stuff up with c-4,hmmmmm what could I do next??

Stuffing sausage's sounds interesting,...unless the wife caught me..never tried that before...tried a chicken but it flew off...oh wait, what are you talking about stuffing IN the sausages? :oops: AHH! <nevermind>
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
Fester
Swill Maker

Post by Fester »

Impressive resume GB2. Life has very little left to offer you. Once you concur nasel flossing and pitchforking felines it is very difficult to move up in experiences. The thrill of getting the big one (I'm referring to pitchforking and not flossing) everything else is just "unmanly" somehow.
hehe, Fester
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

Although that was all wrote with tongue firmly planted in cheeck (some truth to it) I do have a true story on nasel flossing.

I'm in the army and in my younger gung ho years I had some other hard core airborne friends who did that. they took para cord and would hold their head back and snort it in. When it got to the back of their throat they would snort and gack until they spit it out their mouth. Do the same with the other end of the cord and then when both pieces were hanging out of their mouths, they'd tie them together and put the knot in their mouth.
So, cord would come out one nostral and go back in the other. Really freaked girls out at the bar with a 8" loop of para cord hanging out of their nose. If the knot was small enough, they could continuously pull the cord out one nostral or saw it back and forth "flossing".

The things you do when your young and foolish..or full of piss and vinigar! LOL!
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

goose eye wrote:550
What does that spell Mr. goose eye?
airhill
Swill Maker

Post by airhill »

Paracord :lol:
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Is that an "airborn" term?
theholymackerel
retired

Post by theholymackerel »

Naw, the whole US military calls para cord "550 cord"... and the military version of duct-tape is called "Hundred Mile an Hour Tape".
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

Actually we call duct tape "guntape" because you can wrap rifles in it (or used to) and it's waterproof. Of course ducttape and military grade aren't the same, the string in guntape is quite a bit stronger and hard to rip with your fingers.

Yeah, paracord or 550 cord, same thing...just don't use det cord! :lol:
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

i no some ole boys that use to tape mags an every swingin part on alice to keep her
quite. you want to hear somethin loud let metal hit together at dark thirty setin up surpise party. thank god for pricks if it wont rainin. if you had to run let willey
pete take care of that prick.

so im tole
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

You a military man goose?
Fester
Swill Maker

Post by Fester »

goose eye, i can usually follow along with you but this time I'm gonna wait for the movie.
maybe I'll need to rent the DVD so I can back it up and play it again. maybe in slow-mo.
Expect me to complain to the DVD rental store.

Fester
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

Hack wrote:
I've got plans percolating to build an airplane, and a grass landing strip in my field. I might want to learn how to fly in there somewhere too, but I'm not done exploring stilling yet either.[/quote]

Check out vans.com (that should do it) They make it so easy to build one. I helped a guy build a RV6 which he sold when his son and heir arrived upon the scene and then he built an RV10 four seater. Not as fast or lively as the RV6, but more gentle in turbulance. I hasten to say that I get nothing from Vans, just telling you that my experience with them is all good. Just what you want in a Homebuilt-Experimental aircraft. :lol: :lol: :lol:

blanik
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.
Ayay
Distiller

Post by Ayay »

:twisted: willey pete don't care if it's rainin, she sticks like glu and burns underwater!
cornflakes...stripped and refluxed