Marc Emery arrested for the USA

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

rectifier
Swill Maker

Marc Emery arrested for the USA

Post by rectifier »

Well, it's not distilling related really, but it has a lot in common with our community...

I'm sure many have heard by now, but in case you haven't.
Marc Emery, marijuana activist extraordinare, has been arrested IN CANADA by the RCMP on the orders of an American police force (I can't remember which one). They want to extradite him to the USA for "conspiracy to grow marijuana in America" for selling seeds to growers in the US, and imprison him for life.

I stopped smoking marijuana a long time ago, but I am still angry, angry that another country's police force has resulted in the arrest of a man who is breaking a law that is as unjust as the one against distilling in North America.

Everyone should be worried about this. Could, for example, the people who run Still Spirits be extradited to the USA for shipping their stills there? What about turbo yeast manufacturers? These products are just as guilty as cannabis seeds. Fortunately, there is no "War on Alcohol" going on anymore.

Ok, I'm done speaking my piece. Tell your friends, tell your congressman, tell whoever will listen - Marc Emery belongs in his home country, Canada!
The Chemist
Trainee

Post by The Chemist »

What did they arrest him for? Just because the US said to?
Purposeful motion, for one so insane...
rectifier
Swill Maker

Post by rectifier »

Pretty much. "Conspiracy to grow marijuana" is going to be the official charge I believe.

The Canadian police have pretty much left him and other marijuana smokers/growers alone for 10 years... smoking, growing and seed trading is illegal, but enforcement is usually very weak and focuses only on the large and violent gangs - and now, i guess, on who the USA wants to put in jail.
Fourway
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Fourway »

I'm never able to get too excited about stuff like this.
he had to know he was running a big risk right?
this wasn't a complete shock was it?

the way I figure it... you dont change bad laws by breaking the law, rubbing people's noses in the fact that you are breaking the law, getting arrested both for breaking the law and for being a dick about breaking it and then screaming about it being a bad law and acting like you didn't know what was gonna happen.

you change bad laws by either fighting against the law within the system (for folks with lots of stamina and fortitude) or by ignoring the law and not getting caught... rendering the law unimportant and eventually eroding it to the point where it is no longer recognised.

in 1875 in new york a man could be arrested for indecency and lewness for removing his jacket in a closed carriage with a woman who was not his wife and appearing in a waistcoat and shirtsleeves.
that law is still on the books.
nobody fought it, nobody waved their shirt sleeved arms out the windows at cops and got arrested and protested it.
People just ignored it, times changed, eventually it became irrelevant.
"a woman who drives you to drink is hard to find, most of them will make you drive yourself."
anon--
AkCoyote
Swill Maker

Post by AkCoyote »

Well said Fourway. I too quit smoking pot about 18 years ago after smoking the stuff for about 17 years. Never arrested or even hassled during that time. Reason? Didn't flaunt it or try to draw attention to myself. Same as I do with distilling now.

The 'war on drugs' is and always has been a lost cause and this is some bureacrat's attempt at grabbing a headline. If you don't want to get shot, keep your head in your foxhole.

AkCoyote
Fourway
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Fourway »

I don't mean to get political about it... I'm just submitting that I almost always temper my views with a heaping helping of mistrust as soon as I hear the word "activist".
"a woman who drives you to drink is hard to find, most of them will make you drive yourself."
anon--
Billy Joe Jim Bob
Novice

Busted for pot

Post by Billy Joe Jim Bob »

When it comes to smokin' or drinkin', my vote is for drinkin', but if you want to be smokin' thats fine too. As long as you don't hurt yourself or others, I think you should be able to do as you please.
After readin' up on this feller, it should come as no surprise that he would get busted (again).
Check this link out....http://www.cannabisculture.com/articles/2644.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
It's one thing to be a midnight toker and another to run for mayor on the marijuana platform. I'm with foreway, this guy knew it would come eventually....BJJB
Since I read of the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.
rectifier
Swill Maker

Post by rectifier »

Yeah, I agree with you all that he was asking for it. He's always been more than a bit of a jackass. And I wouldn't be angry if the RCMP had arrested him here in Canada, and put him in jail here.

The thing that pisses me off in this case is the extradition order from the USA, and the fact that we will just hand him over. He's a Canadian citizen, he should be tried in Canada as he has been before. What gives the USA more rights to him than us?

No man should spend his life in jail for smoking/selling cannabis. And if Canada legalises it (we keep trying...), are the DEA going to give him back? I highly doubt it.
Billy Joe Jim Bob
Novice

Extradition

Post by Billy Joe Jim Bob »

Hi Rectifier: I agree that the US shouldn't be reaching out for something so stupid, it's not like the guy blew up a building or anything. I saw in the news yesterday that the US wants a Briton extradited for hacking into the US Military computers and deleting a bunch of stuff. I could see going after him as a national threat, but not a pot seed dealer. I'll get off my soap box now....BJJB
Since I read of the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.
KatoFong
Swill Maker

Post by KatoFong »

No no...do continue. This is the stupidest thing I think I've heard of so far in the "war on drugs".

I like that our wars tend to be on abstractions these days. I personally am declaring a war on Pointalism. You're either with me, or you're with the Pointalists!
level Joe
Swill Maker

Post by level Joe »

KatoFong wrote: I personally am declaring a war on Pointalism. You're either with me, or you're with the Pointalists!
Should I tell him I just read the news paper and looked at a few pictures? I cant say I saw the forest for the trees though. Oh God, I dont know where I stand ?!
Salus populi suprema est lex. [L.] The safety of the people is the highest law.
KatoFong
Swill Maker

Post by KatoFong »

Do you see? These Pointalists hate our way of viewing the world. They hate hard lines that converge in the distance.
Brett
Swill Maker

Post by Brett »

im lost,
Fourway
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Fourway »

They hate our perspective!
anon--
Virginia Gentleman
Rumrunner

Post by Virginia Gentleman »

Just caught up on this thread. If the guy is an "activist" isn't part of his mission to create civil disobedience (in a non-civil manner) to further his cause, even if it means taking it to its farthest end which could be arrest, jail, even death? That's what our stillin' brethern did during the Whiskey Rebellion. Thank God Jefferson had some sense and stepped in. So what's Emery complaining about?

On the other hand, it's total crap that the U.S. is trying to extradite him and has exteneded its meddling arm into the Great White North. Let Canada deal with it how they see fit, which would hopefully be to leave the guy alone (unless he wants to be locked up for the cause).

I have a good friend who made up some great T-shirts that read:

Conceintous Objector to the War on Drugs

Has an american flag on it, and lists about 15 reasons why on the back.
Lord preserve and protect us, we've been drinkin' whiskey 'fore breakfast.
Virginia Gentleman
Rumrunner

Post by Virginia Gentleman »

Could get ugly if the Dadaists and Cubists get invloved. Talk about warped perspectives.

There's an old New Yorker cartoon showing a typical New Yorker pipe & tweed type saying "I am neither for canned preserves, nor against them and I greatly resent the implication that I am."
Lord preserve and protect us, we've been drinkin' whiskey 'fore breakfast.