Stepping down.

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

HookLine
retired

Stepping down.

Post by HookLine »

I am stepping down as mod and going back to just being a regular member in the background.

Reason is my eyes are getting bad. Not going blind, but it's getting increasingly difficult to read much or look at a computer screen for long anymore, or deal with much detail in images and drawings. I am already down to reading less than 10% of new threads and posts. Can't even sit through a movie anymore without a few breaks. I have had problems with my eyes for a long time, but they have got a lot worse in the last few months, even with new glasses. So some things have to give, and being a mod is one of them.

On the good side, I will now have the time to finally get some all grains under my belt. 8)

Thanks for all the help I got, from mods through to newbies. Made the job a lot easier.

See ya round. 8)
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
rubber duck
retired

Re: Stepping down.

Post by rubber duck »

I don't really know what to say. Thank you for being a foundation, thank you for everything you have done for this forum, and home distilling.

Rubber Duck.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
Barney Fife
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Barney Fife »

Sorry to hear of your eyesight issues; hope you can find a fix, or at least prevent worsening.

Thanks for all you've done around here! Much 'preciated.
ScottishBoy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ScottishBoy »

I went to a 27 inch monitor just recently. It works well to ease up the eyestrain.
Sorry to see you step down. I have always appreciated the kindness with which you have addressed folks.
From what I can see and have read, you have made a valiant effort here and Im sure it is much appreciated. I know I am very thankful you were here.

Enjoy your time and please come back and tell us all about the all grains you are playing with.

Respects to you,
ScottishBoy
ScottishBoy
HD Survival in a Nutshell...
Read.Search.Listen.Ask for feedback, you WILL get it. Plastic is always "questionable". Dont hurry. Be Careful. Dont Sell,Tell, or Yell. If you wouldnt serve it to your friends, then it isnt worth keeping.
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kentucky shinner »

I hate hearing this Hook. You have been a great help to me and I know many others. You will be missed. I wish you the best with you problems with your eyes. I am sure the stress of all the reading on here as a mod is not good for them.
Hang in there Hook I Hope for you all the best.
Kentucky Shinner
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

hell boys he just lookin a retirement party with dancein girls an free likker an gifts.

apreciate all you done for me.
rednose
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rednose »

Sorry to hear that HL. :(

We are sitting in the same boat, I abused my eyes in the last years while trading online FX and have to pay the bill now.

I might have an eye operation this year.

Thanks for all your insight and have fun with the "all grains".

Joe
Last edited by rednose on Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Licensed Micro distillery "Bonanza"; fighting the local market
ScottishBoy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ScottishBoy »

goose eye wrote:hell boys he just lookin a retirement party with dancein girls an free likker an gifts.
Hope your eyes can make this out!
Party Gals!
Party Gals!
ScottishBoy
Read.Search.Listen.Ask for feedback, you WILL get it. Plastic is always "questionable". Dont hurry. Be Careful. Dont Sell,Tell, or Yell. If you wouldnt serve it to your friends, then it isnt worth keeping.
still crazy
Rumrunner

Post by still crazy »

Hook
Your input will be missed. I understand your eyesight concerns and I wish you the best of luck with that.

SC
Daddy used, to say " Any landing you can walk away from is a good one"
Calculations don't mean shit when compared to the real world practical experience of many...RAD 9/2010
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Wanna thank you for job well done Hook.Any thing ever change and ya want job back it will be waiting for ya.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Braz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Braz »

Growing old is not for the faint of heart, Hook. Believe me, I am learning that lesson as well.

Though I'm still a new-guy around here I want you to know how much I appreciate all the information you've provided. Since we novices tend to read deep into the archives (or should), your contributions over time are obvious. I trust you are staying with us, just with reduced "duties."

Braz
Braz
Squint
Bootlegger

Post by Squint »

Hi Hook
over the past 2 years I done a lot of reading not much posting on HD and I gotta say that you are one of the best, fair and true,

I can relate to your eye condition as I have been Registered Blind since 1984, and yes it's hard, just treat every problem as a challenge, a guy like you will achieve his goals ( all grains )

if ya get time ya could maybe put together a audio book on distilling,

smell, touch, taste, is all you need

cheers Hook

Squint
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

Thanks for the kind words, folks. Much appreciated. 8)

I have been building up my collection of audio books. Some great stuff out there. A good book read by a good speaker is a fine experience. Also started using text-to-speech, which is not perfect, has its limits, and takes a bit of getting used to, but it helps a lot.
hell boys he just lookin a retirement party with dancein girls an free likker an gifts.
Can't sneak anything past you, goose, you just been around too long. :lol:

And I can see those 4 old women just fine. What's the problem? :mrgreen:
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Thanks and all the best. I'll look forward to still seeing your comments from time to time.
The Baker
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

I'm sure that HookLine will remain a valuable member of the HD community regardless of whether is assists in the everyday maintenance of the forums or not... If anything, it will allow him to spend what precious time he has to devote to the forums in a more visible manner to the community... All in all, not a demotion or bad move by any means from a general membership standpoint...

Hang in there, HookLine...
ScottishBoy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ScottishBoy »

Sometimes its a nice change to let someone else run the circus for a while. If nothing else, it's a source of endless amusement..;)
ScottishBoy
CyberPirate
Novice

Post by CyberPirate »

Sir i havent been here long, and i mostly just read, post somtimes, but i echo others when i say your contributions to this site and hobby as a whole cannot be over stated, thanks for your time and I hope all goes well for you.

CyberPirate
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

Thanks for that, folks. 8)
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
MuleKicker
retired

Post by MuleKicker »

Whew........ its about time....... hook, with a little power under his belt..... just scary. :lol: Naw, wish ya the best. You aint goin anywhere, you love this place too much. 8)
-Control Freak-
AKA MulekickerHDbrownNose
flip
Swill Maker

Post by flip »

Hang in there, HookLine...
Good luck.
Mud Mechanik
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mud Mechanik »

Hookline, I'm kinda new to the forums as well but have read many of your posts and learned much from you, I look foreword to reading more. I also could only see 4 girls.
Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway----John Wayne
adama_bill
Novice

Post by adama_bill »

Thank you for all your help and guidance :o

I hope ScottishBoy gets his two girlfriends to keep us informed on how you're travelling.

Regards
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

Such kind words. I should resign more often. :mrgreen:
MuleKicker wrote:You aint goin anywhere, you love this place too much. 8)
He he. Damn, another man I can't sneak anything past. 8)

Just to be clear, folks: I ain't giving up on HD or stilling, just seriously reducing my forum time.

You ain't getting rid of me that easy. :wink:
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

HookLine wrote:Such kind words. I should resign more often.
Hey Boss. You could blow through here every other day or so for your "farewell tour" and create a cult like following. 8) :D
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
azeo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by azeo »

Enjoy the change of pace Hook, hope we get to hear of the all-grain adventures :) Thanks for the guidance and suggestions, and the incredible amount of work put into helping us all - good luck!
birdwatcher
Swill Maker

Post by birdwatcher »

Many thanks for your contribution. Growing old is a pain in the ass; I'm 72 and I know.

Re your eyes, buying the largest flat screen available is a good suggestion and then there are ways to increase the size of the print on the screen. Talk to a good computer techie; that's not me, for sure.

The last time I went to a real eye doctor for tests, as well as regular glasses, he set me up with real reading glasses. What a difference that makes. No comparison to those things sold in drug stores.

Take care.

G
My sugar wash for ethanol is under the Tried and true recipes forum.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

Iv got it made, far sited in one eye and near in the other. so all I have to do is to close witch ever one is not needed :)
olcarguy
Swill Maker

Post by olcarguy »

Sorry to hear about your eye problem Hook. Maybe you would like to come back for a visit.....
I don't care if you lick windows,
take the special bus
or occasionally pee on yourself..
You hang in there sunshine, you're friggin' special
Whitedog
Swill Maker

Post by Whitedog »

olcarguy wrote:Sorry to hear about your eye problem Hook. Maybe you would like to come back for a visit.....
Sounds like you may have a remedy for..... cataracts? :shock:
myerfire
Swill Maker

Post by myerfire »

Hook,
I would just like to take this opportunity to say "Thanks for all of your insightful posts and particularly to replys to my specific problems". Hopefully you will still be around, maybe posting results on your all grain distilling.
All the best,
myerfire