Don't shake the turbo!!!

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

norcal
Novice

Don't shake the turbo!!!

Post by norcal »

Do not shake the turbo yeast sugar wash on day two before work. It already has pleanty of airation!!! It will make one hell of a mess :roll: . Oops... wifey none too happy :evil: . I'm still laughing about it (on the inside).
rexxxlo
Novice

Post by rexxxlo »

oh i did that well kinda i used a dowel to stir it and couldnt get it out of the carboy before it spewed up to the ceiling and made a huge mess
knuklehead
Rumrunner

Post by knuklehead »

Just out of curiosity, why do you guys want to stir or shake it anyways?
... I say God bless you, I don't say bless you ... I am not the Lord, I can't do that ...
Dane Cook
rectifier
Swill Maker

Post by rectifier »

Hah, reminds me of a time i blew up one of my first rum washes adding 5 lbs extra sugar. I knew it was trouble as soon as i poured it in and saw the wash turn solid white and start churning... i realised in under a second that due to the nucleation on the sugar all the CO2 was going to go and it was going to be a hell of a mess...

i grabbed that carboy and started running for the door but before I got there it shot a jet of wash that hit the ceiling. Hosed me down pretty good... when it all calmed down I had lost a good half of the wash and had to spend a good half a day cleaning up the sugary, molassesy mess.

Since then I always stir a wash before I dump anything in to release the CO2 gently rather than catastrophically. Can't see any reason to bother a turbo until it's done though...
stoker
Distiller

Post by stoker »

that reminds me to a bottle of sugarwash, i thought the yeast was dead due to the high concentration of sugar, i closed it and put it on my desk in my bedroom. a few days later, the bottom exploded and I could find sugar everywhere. what a mess. and the spots I forgot to clean were excellent places for wild yeasts :?

(wouldn't it be a good idea to start a topic about ridiculous errors and funny circonstances?)
-I have too much blood in my alcohol system-
possum
Distiller

Post by possum »

Knucklehead
I sometimes agitate my washes after the yeast has settled out if I am feeding the wash with more sugar products disolved in water. I don't agitate when brewing beer, but for distilled products I try to get the final abv as high as practical.
Adding the sugar slowly reduces catostrophic foaming in the fermenter.
Hey guys!!! Watch this.... OUCH!
stil_chillin
Novice

Post by stil_chillin »

I just spent the day cleaning up some rootbeer i made for the kids. the bottles started exploding while at work :evil: . thankfully they were in the basement, wife would have killed me. no more soda, to dangerous ill stick with rum :lol:
pothead
Rumrunner

Post by pothead »

lol...my first explosive wash hit the ceiling(from the floor) and took about half the volume of the initial wash.
"Be nice to America, or we'll bring democracy to your country."
"The best things in life aren't things."

"Imagination is more important than Knowledge"-Albert Einstein
TheGinz
Novice

Post by TheGinz »

I had two Grolsh bottles of root beer explode in the kicthem a month ago. I wasn't home, but it woke up my wife at about 6 am. She said it sounded like soeone was shooting us through the back french doors. She said the mess was undescribable. I never saw it, because she cleaned it up. Bless her heart.
Still Spirits Super Reflux Still
25 litres
110 volts 60 cycles 1,380 watts
Construction Body: Stainless Steel
head: Enamel copper
Used in pot still configurgation
stoker
Distiller

Post by stoker »

I once had a bottle with a bit of wash wicht exploded (the lid flew came of), my whole room was sticky :(
an other time, it wasn't the lid but the bottom of the bottle that I left at a friends house. :D
and the third time was a large turbo wash which flooded on the wood floor :(
-I have too much blood in my alcohol system-
Conquistidor
Novice

Post by Conquistidor »

i had a bottle of soda explode, it soudned like a gunshot. We found pieces if glass two months later in the opposite corner of the room next to it (20+ feet away).
Conquistidor

P.S. Hey! how do u do that?
hillbilly_john
Novice

Post by hillbilly_john »

We had a beer-bottle explode in the middle of the night once. Sounded remarkably like someone breaking thru the front door. Down the stairs I go with the 12-gauge only to find Ethel the cat imbibing on the spilled lager.

Mental note: No more thin walled bottles!!

johnboy
possum
Distiller

Post by possum »

Ethel drinks Ethel !!!
I have friends with dogs that drink spilled beer, and some that drink whisky( too good for dogs in my opinion)...but I never met a beer drinkin' cat.
Hey guys!!! Watch this.... OUCH!
Thorin
Novice

Post by Thorin »

i know what happens when cats get alchol... they get a bit dizzy (atleast they loose a good deal of accuracy), and fall asleep...

my friends cat drank some beer that was spilled on the floor...
it apparantly slept for a whole day afterwards! :D:D

THorin...
goostie
Novice

Post by goostie »

I usually areate the water really good with a hand mixer before adding the turbo, and it works great.
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

possum:

Ethel drinks Ethel !!!
I have friends with dogs that drink spilled beer, and some that drink whisky( too good for dogs in my opinion)...but I never met a beer drinkin' cat.
My schnawzer does not like whiskey (I have tried), but a rum and coke over the rocks, well, that seems to rock his little world. The wife hates when I let him drink it, but he does not seem to complain, just her :D

H.
rangaz
Swill Maker

Post by rangaz »

I've had bottles explode, sending shards into the shed 10m away while I was mowing the lawn right by them. lucky i was in the opposite direction

There are few things funnier than an intoxicated cat. They try to jump fences, miss completely and do a faceplant/bellyflop
hornedrhodent
Rumrunner

Post by hornedrhodent »

="rangaz
There are few things funnier than an intoxicated cat.

I've seen intoxicated kittens, puppies and a budgie but have never seen them repeat the experience - Good thing too - they'd steal all our booze.
sherriff Buffoerd pusser
Bootlegger

Post by sherriff Buffoerd pusser »

Ive had a potato wash blow up twice in two days wife is one pissed off lady. Sunday walked downstairs just in time to see it blow up all over the kicthen. Wife said NO MORE WASHES IN THE HOUSE moved them out to the pool house guess I maby shook to much walking out but anyway SOB blew all over pool house too.
whats life without a challenge