Snowed In!

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

MuleKicker
retired

Snowed In!

Post by MuleKicker »

Holyshit. Winter hit us like a ton of bricks here today. 16+ inches of snow, and 40+MPH winds. I have about a 4' drift right in front of my door. This whole storm started out with 1/4" of ice, so we lost our power 12 hrs ago. Got a generator to power the TV, wood burner, and the internet. 8) 0 visability, everything is shut down. Now I play the waiting game... :?
-Control Freak-
AKA MulekickerHDbrownNose
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: Snowed In!

Post by blanikdog »

yup, the weather is acting strangely. The tropical weather in central Victoria has cause havoc. Millions of dollars of grain and fruit just destroyed. Gotta be crazy to be a farmer.
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.
Bull Rider
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bull Rider »

Hey MuleKicker, I'm on my way with two gallons of my best, errrrrrrrrrr, wait....

I don't know where you live, sorry! Snowing here too.

You're not behind on your power bill are you?

Bull.
Life is hard, it's harder when you're stupid...
Bayou-Ruler
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bayou-Ruler »

Well it was 71F here today! :esurprised:
Bayou Ethanol
Ethanol Fuel Producer

AFP-LA-15027
http://www.BayouEthanol.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
MuleKicker
retired

Post by MuleKicker »

Shit..... Thats why my power is out :? Naw, it gets worse. They even cancelled the damn football game tomorrow, Airport closed, cant get the visiting team here. What the hell am i supposed to do now! :esurprised: Temp has dropped from 20F to 0 now. On its way down to -15. Hey bull, Im waitin for ya. Good luck, interstate is closed south of here. :lol:
-Control Freak-
olddog
retired

Post by olddog »

You ever thought about moving to a warmer place? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

OD
OLD DOG LEARNING NEW TRICKS ......
MuleKicker
retired

Post by MuleKicker »

no... Im just gonna bitch about it. :lol:
-Control Freak-
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

:) :) :)
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

HEHEHE, we just had a front from Hawaii move in. It's been raining like a cow pissing on a flat rock and it's tee shirt weather.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
rtalbigr
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rtalbigr »

Grew up in Colorado and Wyoming and saw tooooo mant blizzards like MK's.MY brother still lives in Wyoming and has has to go for weeks w/o power! Live in the South now and haven't seen more than a couple inches of snow in years. I like it that way!

Big R
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." William Pitt
MuleKicker
retired

Post by MuleKicker »

Gonna have to wait till I get the bus out of the snow drift Big R. Dont look like Were gonna be there for a while now. :?
-Control Freak-
rtalbigr
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rtalbigr »

Understand MK, been there! As a kid I can remember climbing out a window to get the snow from in front of the door. I'm catchin' part of your storm but down here it's just rain. May get a dustin' later today. So, that stuff will just age a little longer!! That much the better.

Big R
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." William Pitt
Bohunk
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Bohunk »

Hey MK, I thought we had a deal, you would keep the snow up there and leave us poor Huskers alone. I got to go ourside now and blow your snow out of my drive way. Minus about a thousand degrees out there too. Good day to sit inside and sip, and sip, and sip.

The Bohunk
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

Bohunk wrote:Good day to sit inside and sip, and sip, and sip.
Thats my plan. Got a deer left to grind up, and some dishes and clothes, but other than that, it is sippin and relax today. WAY too damn cold to do much outside.

H.
Hillbilly Rebel: Unless you are one of the people on this site who are legalling distilling, keep a low profile, don't tell, don't sell.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

We are also suppose to have a cold winter. Had snow last month but nothing so far. I thought about rewiring my house for a generator but didn't do it. I have a small honda 2000 generator I use on my boat that will not do my whole house but at least I can keep my fish and other frozen items from spoiling. I wanted to buy a snow blower two years ago but my wife didn't think we needed it. Guess who is the one out doing the shoveling!
pumpman
Swill Maker

Post by pumpman »

olddog wrote:You ever thought about moving to a warmer place? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

OD
Hey OD where is he going to go? It's gonna get down to about 30 down here tonite and 26 tomorow. Good thing it only lasts a couple days then warms up a bit before the next blast.
Damn gloable warming!
Likker in the front and poker in the rear
Fastill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fastill »

pumpman wrote:
olddog wrote:You ever thought about moving to a warmer place? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

OD
Hey OD where is he going to go? It's gonna get down to about 30 down here tonite and 26 tomorow. Good thing it only lasts a couple days then warms up a bit before the next blast.
Damn gloable warming!
Don't you know that they changed the name from global warming to "global climate change" Just because it is so hard to prove global warming when national winter temps are colder on average due to the south U.S. getting hammered with cold winters.
It is all Junk science and we are just on the upswing from the last iceage.... Natural global weather patterns....
If you call it global warming and blame cow farts or old air conditioning units then the government can form a "comitee" and divert funding to the comitee so they have another cash cow to justify tax increases. It is just a game to them for more money!!!
A.D.D. and HD don't go together. This hobby takes time and dedication to learn and do it right and safe.
Fill the pool before you jump in head first!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

Bushman wrote:I have a small honda 2000 generator I use on my boat that will not do my whole house but at least I can keep my fish and other frozen items from spoiling. I wanted to buy a snow blower two years ago but my wife didn't think we needed it. Guess who is the one out doing the shoveling!
I got a 6500W and built a couple suicide plugs. If we lose power, I kill the main switch, and flip off about 3/4 of my breakers, then plug in the suicide. I cna run all freezers, fridges, and the furnace (gas, but needs the blower), and the water heater (gas, but is a side vent forced air also). I also have 2 legs that we run a TV/entertainment center off of, and a couple clocks, and some lights.

Had to use it a bit 2 yrs ago. We had just bought 1/2 cow, and put in the freezer. Bought the generator, figured out how to hook it up, and saved about 800 of meat. Now, it is pretty easy to do, since we have done it before.

You can always 'save' freezer food by putting outside, but damn, that was like 380lb of meat. I really did not want to haul it all upstairs (along with at least that much more crap in the freezers). But if you have to, that does work.

H.
Hillbilly Rebel: Unless you are one of the people on this site who are legalling distilling, keep a low profile, don't tell, don't sell.
Mud Mechanik
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mud Mechanik »

Bushman wrote: I wanted to buy a snow blower two years ago but my wife didn't think we needed it. Guess who is the one out doing the shoveling!
You are still shoveling, you can't lie to us :mrgreen:
Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway----John Wayne
MuleKicker
retired

Post by MuleKicker »

Bohunk wrote:Hey MK, I thought we had a deal, you would keep the snow up there and leave us poor Huskers alone. I got to go ourside now and blow your snow out of my drive way. Minus about a thousand degrees out there too. Good day to sit inside and sip, and sip, and sip.

The Bohunk
Sorry.... I couldnt take it anymore.. :oops: Had to share our misery with someone :P Took me 2 1/2 hrs to blow the damn driveway out. On the bright side, we got power back. 8) It isnt as cold as they were forcasting....Yet. The wind is a killer though. Gonna have to blow out the driveway 1 more time today. Maybe tomorrow before work too. I cant blame this on Global Warming, or what ever ya'all wanna call it. Its Minnesota. Its gonna happen once in a while.... Its just been a long time.
bohunk wrote: Good day to sit inside and sip, and sip, and sip.
Got a bottle of the finest here to enjoy :wink:
The frickin football statium collapsed up here this morning. No football game to drink to.... I will find a reason....Ohh, found one.
:D
-Control Freak-
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Husker wrote:I got a 6500W and built a couple suicide plugs. If we lose power, I kill the main switch, and flip off about 3/4 of my breakers, then plug in the suicide. I cna run all freezers, fridges, and the furnace (gas, but needs the blower), and the water heater (gas, but is a side vent forced air also). I also have 2 legs that we run a TV/entertainment center off of, and a couple clocks, and some lights.
Got a 15K with a transfer switch down here. Hurricanes knock the crap outta everything.
During Fran and Jeanne we were out for 2 weeks......never again will I allow my family to go through that cuss again. Thankfully we have the pool so we could get buckets to flush the dern toilets.
Now when the power goes down I strut round my house like a cocky cus rooster. Or the muther cussing king of my jungle.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
MuleKicker
retired

Post by MuleKicker »

Got a 10K here. Didnt have the suicide plug, didnt know how long the power was gonna be out, got plenty of extension cords, and didnt want to butcher one quite yet. So I just hooked up to the important stuff. Heat, TV, and internet. Its all good. 8)
-Control Freak-
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

Done that before also. However, those cords can get pretty damn hot, or if you get ones big enough, they are damn expensive. I simply plug into 2 20 amp legs, and power most of the 'main' crap I need, then put a couple drop lines in specifically for other stuff.

H.
ScottishBoy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ScottishBoy »

moms camp.jpg
This what happened to us last big storm that came through
ScottishBoy
HD Survival in a Nutshell...
Read.Search.Listen.Ask for feedback, you WILL get it. Plastic is always "questionable". Dont hurry. Be Careful. Dont Sell,Tell, or Yell. If you wouldnt serve it to your friends, then it isnt worth keeping.
MuleKicker
retired

Post by MuleKicker »

Husker wrote:Done that before also. However, those cords can get pretty damn hot, or if you get ones big enough, they are damn expensive. I simply plug into 2 20 amp legs, and power most of the 'main' crap I need, then put a couple drop lines in specifically for other stuff.

H.
yes, you really have to pay attention to what you are running with such a setup. Next thing you know, the old lady has curling irons and hair driers and all sorts of crazy shit running off it. :?
-Control Freak-
Mud Mechanik
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mud Mechanik »

ScottishBoy wrote:
This what happened to us last big storm that came through
Dangit SB, didn't hurt the still did it? :wink:

I hope everyone was ok.
Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway----John Wayne
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Mine runs a 7 minute cycle once a week automatically. 600 gallons of propane in the ground.

We figger about two weeks worth of straight running. But the thing is pretty loud and we try to conserve fuel so we run it judiciously if the power is out for more than a day.

Transfer switch came with 6 breakers but I pulled em and re-installed waffers so now I got 12 circuts. All the major utilities and one or two lighting circuts. Dryer,cook top and water heater are propane so that alone free'd up a bunch of capacity.
olddog
retired

Post by olddog »

I really feel for you guys, I grew up in the UK where snow and cold weather was the norm for winter. I came to Australia in the early 70's and have never regretted it, I have only seen one cyclone, which wasn't really that bad, and the only difference between winter and summer is that in summer you wear a T shirt and shorts, in winter you wear long pants and a sweater over your T shirt, Coming here was the best move I could make, I could not go back to snow and ice.

OD
OLD DOG LEARNING NEW TRICKS ......
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

olddog wrote:I could not go back to snow and ice.
Hahe OD.
I wouldn't even know what to do with my self.
I'd freeze, crack apart, and have to be swept away to the trash heep if I had to adjust to that really cold business.

I am a Florida Cracker and don't know squat about coping with truely cold weather.

Weak link here.
rtalbigr
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rtalbigr »

Here in Tennessee it can get pretty cold, gonna be in the teens this week, but I can't remember when I had to shovel snow last. The only time I lose power is when some drunk or druggy takes out a power pole which happens about twice a year. This spring they took one out a block from my place; wires were laying everywhere. That's the worst I got to worry about. My brother wants me to move to Wyoming, the high there today was 9, I believe. I think I'll stay here where it warm.

Big R