Iron Butt Association

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

rtalbigr
Site Donor
Site Donor

Iron Butt Association

Post by rtalbigr »

Was just wondering if there were any contributors to this august forum who were also members of the IBA.

Big R
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." William Pitt
Braz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Iron Butt Association

Post by Braz »

I am. #34272
Braz
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

Braz wrote:I am. #34272
where did ur ride start, ... end ?
Hillbilly Rebel: Unless you are one of the people on this site who are legalling distilling, keep a low profile, don't tell, don't sell.
Braz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Braz »

Husker wrote:
Braz wrote:I am. #34272
where did ur ride start, ... end ?
Denver (more or less) to Indianapolis (more or less) Right at 1100 miles, all Interstate - pretty easy actually. I was 66 years old at the time. I did it on a whim. Woke up in the morning and thought, "why not?" So I made up a witness form and a log sheet, got a waitress to sign it and set off. Wife had forbidden me from trying it, convinced I'd die.

Got home at 3AM but didn't have my house key and knew if I rang the bell I'd be in deep shit. So I went out for breakfast but after eating I was really sleepy. So I went back home in the garage and just laid my head on the tank bag and slept till it got late enough to go in the house.
Braz
rtalbigr
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rtalbigr »

Well I figured I just couldn't be the only one. Im #45121.

Did a SS and BB together going to visit my brother. Went from Knoxville, TN to Sioux Falls, SD (about 1150 mi) the first day. Then went on to Aladdin, WY the next for right at 1515 miles. Made it with two hurs to spare. :D Going across South Dakota was one of the toughest rides I've had. 40 mph steady cross and quartering winds with gusts to about 70 mph and going through underpasses was a real adventure with the wind swirlin'. Gusts would blow me from shoulder to shoulder. Needless to say I kept a long way from the trucks.

Big R
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." William Pitt
still crazy
Rumrunner

Post by still crazy »

Never joined Iron Butt
Did ride from Boston to Sturgis 12 hour stints (3) times, once BOTH ways in POURING rain, but not uphill both ways.
Usually do Rolling thunder ride on odd numbered years due for it this year < got to trade the Fatboy for a Electra glide classic first
Once I get to retire I want to fly to Alaska buy a bike and do the state and then ride the west coast to Texas to Grand Canyon to Denver and then cruise cross mid-country back to Massachusetts take about 3 months I figure.
Daddy used, to say " Any landing you can walk away from is a good one"
Calculations don't mean shit when compared to the real world practical experience of many...RAD 9/2010
myerfire
Swill Maker

Post by myerfire »

I ride every day, FXDWG and a BMW RT1200, about 18K a year, but never did Iron Butt. After 6 or 800 miles, I'm beat and ready for the nearest hotel.
myerfire
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

I have to do IB sometime. I have done 800 miles in just over 13 hours. had a full fairing then, now I simply have a tiny windshield (also had 9 gallon tank, vs a little 3.8 ).

The way my back is, I am not sure I could do IB, or it would be much more painful than 20 yrs ago. about the worse part is the hands. They go numb after 4 to 500.

Just told mrs husker, we are gonna bucket list IB together sometime, lol. She was less than enthusastic.

H.
Hillbilly Rebel: Unless you are one of the people on this site who are legalling distilling, keep a low profile, don't tell, don't sell.
myerfire
Swill Maker

Post by myerfire »

Husker said "She was less than enthusastic." I totally understand. I wouldn't want to share my seat on an IB ride either. I vary my position as far forward, way back, left cheek, right cheek, all trying to find a spot that isn't sore.
myerfire
rtalbigr
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rtalbigr »

I vary my position as far forward, way back, left cheek, right cheek, all trying to find a spot that isn't sore.
myerfire
LOL!
Thot I was pretty tough. Ordered me one of those sheep skin seat cover first thing when I got back.

Big R
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

gotta get some Hank Hill saline butt cheek inserts, lol

H.
Braz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Braz »

myerfire wrote: I vary my position as far forward, way back, left cheek, right cheek, all trying to find a spot that isn't sore.myerfire
Ditto on that. I'm all over the bike when I'm riding a long stint. I think of it as bike yoga. I have a sheepskin and a beadrider and I'll swap them back and forth at fuel stops. Tried an Airhawk but that didn't work for me. When I'm riding solo I try to stop every 100 Mi. but my riding buddies don't stop till the tank is on "E." Then they get all impatient while I power smoke to get me through the next 225 or so.
Braz
rtalbigr
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rtalbigr »

When I'm riding solo I try to stop every 100 Mi. but my riding buddies don't stop till the tank is on "E." Then they get all impatient while I power smoke to get me through the next 225 or so.
Braz, we'ed make good ridin' partners. I'm good for 100 then I'm all over the bike, standin' up, legs stretched out, legs draggin' behind, blah, blah, blah, ya, bike yoga!. 100 miles, stop for a smoke and stretch the legs, 100 more and gas up. I ride a Goldwing, it a "Cadallac" compared to everything else I've been on, Honda's, Yamaha's, Kawasaki's, Harley's, and still after 100 miles I'm ready to stop for a short break.

Big R
JethroBodine
Swill Maker

Post by JethroBodine »

Blown two bikes on Sadle Sore attempts. Yamaha XJ650 and Honda CB750. I need a tougher bike :twisted:
Master Bruce Lee said," The best style, is NO style."
I've had a LOT of practice at having no style.
Hdflhx
Novice

Post by Hdflhx »

I've done several. Got all the paperwork from the last one but have never sent it in. Anyone know what the time limit is on getting the paperwork turned in after a ride?
rtalbigr
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rtalbigr »

Anyone know what the time limit is on getting the paperwork turned in after a ride?
I don't think there is any time limit. Their main concern is that everything be properly documented.

Big R
JethroBodine
Swill Maker

Post by JethroBodine »

I haven't seen a time limit mentioned on the website, and there are conversations about people waiting years before sending them in.
Master Bruce Lee said," The best style, is NO style."
I've had a LOT of practice at having no style.
Hdflhx
Novice

Post by Hdflhx »

Thanks. I've got the documentation from a ride about two years ago I've been aiming to send in.
Braz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Braz »

Hdflhx wrote:Thanks. I've got the documentation from a ride about two years ago I've been aiming to send in.
Send it in. It wouldn't hurt to attach a note to Mike Kneebone giving him some excuse for taking so long. Probably not necessary but it can't hurt.
Braz