Anybody get any good deals lately?

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Anybody get any good deals lately?

Post by Deplorable »

zed255 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:16 am
Bushman wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:36 pm Necessity is the mother of all inventions
I'd be willing to bet laziness has led to more inventions than necessity.
Laziness is the Father of invention. "Behind every inventor, is a nagging, needy wife".
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

zed255 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:16 am
Bushman wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:36 pm Necessity is the mother of all inventions
I'd be willing to bet laziness has led to more inventions than necessity.
:thumbup: But for the lazy person they would prefer the term more efficient! :sarcasm:
zed255
Distiller

Post by zed255 »

I always like 'Smarter, not Harder'.
----------
Zed

When the Student is ready, the Master will appear.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I think my apple picker might be capable of getting those 12 packs without climbing into that dumpster. :problem: If not I do have the technology to modify something accordingly... that is to say if I hadn't already climbed in there and retrieved them :roll:

That's right I felt differently today and reassessed the situation and climbed in and rescued those bottles :D

So now I have 6 gallons of crappy 4.2% beer to add to the list of things to run through the still. Maybe I'll just dump them in a carboy and wait and see if any more beer comes my way, maybe do a big whiskey run from free beer.

I feel I may have made a big mistake not checking that dumpster during the lock down. I imagine a whole lot of beer got thrown out then.
Zeotropic
Rumrunner

Post by Zeotropic »

I traded some work for a keg.
IMG_20210725_215615433.jpg
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

cranky wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:11 pm That's right I felt differently today and reassessed the situation and climbed in and rescued those bottles :D
Made ya feel good to give them a home :thumbup: , just like rescuing stray puppies. :lol:
SmokyMtn
Rumrunner

Post by SmokyMtn »

Scored 52 - 750ml wine bottles varying in color for free off Craigslist. Just have to remove labels

Spoke to a local winery. They're willing to give me all the used wine tasting bottles. Apparently they cannot reuse the bottles. So I'm golden for all my bottling needs for life. :thumbup:
My 9" Shotgun Condenser

This hobby really is not so much about making alcohol. But bottling opportunities to make memories with Friends and Family.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

SmokyMtn wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:29 pm Scored 52 - 750ml wine bottles varying in color for free off Craigslist. Just have to remove labels

Spoke to a local winery. They're willing to give me all the used wine tasting bottles. Apparently they cannot reuse the bottles. So I'm golden for all my bottling needs for life. :thumbup:
Good score, unless your giving them away that is probably more than you will need. I am picky about the bottles I save now for my products. I use Bushmill bottles for whiskey because they are square and stack nice on the shelf. I use round whiskey bottles for my rum so I can tell them apart easily and vodka and gin bottles for my homemade vodka and gin. Fancy bottles are saved for my liqueurs.
SmokyMtn
Rumrunner

Post by SmokyMtn »

Good bit will be gifts. The majority are browns and greens. I prefer clear glass to see the amber color of oaked whiskey. Nevertheless, free is always a great price
My 9" Shotgun Condenser

This hobby really is not so much about making alcohol. But bottling opportunities to make memories with Friends and Family.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Bushman wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:10 pm I am picky about the bottles I save now for my products.
Agree Bushy , its very easy to end up with a mountain of bottles, I got much more fussy as time went on.
River Rat
Swill Maker

Post by River Rat »

Well I got 48 LBS of panela for $1.91/LB shipped for free and actually received panela in the box this time. Not a great deal but still a pretty good price for this year I think. Time to try some lighter rum and see how it compares to an all molasses version. After a year or two of course.
Plain ole pot rig.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Yesterday I was given a Victorio No.200 strainer for free :ebiggrin:
JUICER #1A - C.jpg
The only issue is it doesn't have the smaller berry screen so I'll have to buy one but the guy that gave it to me said it will go through a bucket of blackberries in less than 2 minutes.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

:thumbup: Don’t know how you always seem to find the great things and deals.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Bushman wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:24 pm :thumbup: Don’t know how you always seem to find the great things and deals.
It helps to be a cheap bastard.

It reminds me of a time a long time ago when my son was young. We overheard him and a friend talking. His friend made the statement "Your mom never buys anything unless it's on sale and your dad never buys anything unless it's free!" :lol: Funny but true.

I guess I just have a strange mind and things just sort of work out.

Speaking of things working out today at work I was sitting there minding my own business when someone set a 13 lbs bag of my favorite kind of apples next to me...free apples someone else picked :ebiggrin: The ones I checked are slightly under ripe but still hitting 12 brix. About the only thing they are actually good for is brandy so I may have to clean up the chopping and pressing stuff after all and just get it done. Maybe I'll haul it all into work and just do it there this year.
Zeotropic
Rumrunner

Post by Zeotropic »

I got 8 new gallon jars for $60 and put some of the whiskey I had aging in mason jars in two of them.
I am switching to glass with cork stoppers.
No more mason jars for me.
IMG_20210802_230829465.jpg
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

I just put a lot of sugar wash neutral into 2 litre flagons. Maybe twenty-five of them.
And corked them with champagne corks, over half are the right size.

My family like champagne...

Geoff
The Baker
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

This will replace my SS column. I was able to swindle 12”+ of “L” type 2” pipe from the plumber on site today. It was handed over for free but only after I mentioned my hobby and that it wouldn’t be hard to share a little product for his trouble. It’s only about $20 worth of pipe but it’s hard to find scrap pieces and the local supply house only sells in 10’ lengths. I was hoping to find some “M” but most commercial buildings don’t bid for that. Beggars can’t be choosers though and I believe this will do just fine. :ebiggrin:
488758B3-11F5-4AD4-ACEB-A2C14AF13E3D.jpeg
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Mines all L pipe. I had no issues with the SS ferrules fitting up for solder.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
dunluce
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dunluce »

Kareltje wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:01 pm What is Coors????
Ice cold, it's a great beer for really hot days when you need to get work done and keep your wit's about you.

I hear some people even use water.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Deplorable wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:04 pm Mines all L pipe. I had no issues with the SS ferrules fitting up for solder.
I’m actually really happy I got L instead of M I just like the thicker gauge stuff better. :thumbup: I have copper ferrules and after a little sanding and some dead blows they’re sitting nice and snug inside the pipe
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
River Rat
Swill Maker

Post by River Rat »

Stonecutter wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:50 am I’m actually really happy I got L instead of M I just like the thicker gauge stuff better. :thumbup: I have copper ferrules and after a little sanding and some dead blows they’re sitting nice and snug inside the pipe
Nice! It's extra work but there's nothing like having a tight joint that could support itself, and knowing the solder is just to seal it up. Makes you feel good.
Plain ole pot rig.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Stonecutter wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:50 am
I’m actually really happy I got L instead of M I just like the thicker gauge stuff better.
+1

Type L has been my go to on all the stills I've built and I'm not sure if the heft contributes to vapor temp stability, but it sure seems like it.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Twisted Brick wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:05 pm
Stonecutter wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:50 am
I’m actually really happy I got L instead of M I just like the thicker gauge stuff better.
+1

Type L has been my go to on all the stills I've built and I'm not sure if the heft contributes to vapor temp stability, but it sure seems like it.
Wait, I thought it was opposite. I thought I bought L and you were building with M. All I know is you had to do a little extra work on my baffles. :crazy:
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Almost...! My dies and plates are for type L, but with a little magic, I was able to 'rig' a set of of 'M' plates. And the rest, as they say, is history!
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

River Rat wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:59 pm
Stonecutter wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:50 am I’m actually really happy I got L instead of M I just like the thicker gauge stuff better. :thumbup: I have copper ferrules and after a little sanding and some dead blows they’re sitting nice and snug inside the pipe
Nice! It's extra work but there's nothing like having a tight joint that could support itself, and knowing the solder is just to seal it up. Makes you feel good.
Thank you River Rat! That’s my thinking as well. I didn’t like the idea of fluxing two pieces on top of one another and/or relying on flux as the main support. In my mechanics mind a nice tight fit is desirable. My brother comes into town tomorrow, he’s the flux master so between us and a few beers it should turn out nicely.
-Thomas Paine
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Mrs Cranky made the mistake of letting me go to the hardware store unsupervised again and on the way home I got a free 5 gallon bucket of strawberries today :ebiggrin:
FREE STRAWBERRIES #3A - C.jpg
It also came with a planter full of garlic.

I've been wanting some strawberry plants and just haven't bothered buying them but now I don't have to :D

Mrs Cranky saw them and all she had to say was "Where did those plants come from? You know I hate terracotta planters..." :roll:

I also got a free box fan today
FREE FAN #2A - C.jpg
It's probably destined to be part of a cooling system for my recirc water
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Cranky I have a box fan dedicated to drying my fish after rinsing from the brine. I put the fish on my smoker racks in the smoker and run the fan for several hours before starting the smoker.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Bushman wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:52 pm Cranky I have a box fan dedicated to drying my fish after rinsing from the brine. I put the fish on my smoker racks in the smoker and run the fan for several hours before starting the smoker.
:thumbup: :thumbup:

just got some white king for about 9$ a lbs
king white.jpg
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

White kings freeze longer than the reds. Most people buy the reds but whites are my first choice. Not as many I am lucky if I catch one or two a year.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

And I thought a king was a king.

King salmon are also called chinook. Is there also a red and white chinook, or is a chinook one specific type of king? I’m so confused. I guess I have some reading to do.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels