Anybody get any good deals lately?

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

The Baker
Master of Distillation

Re: Anybody get any good deals lately?

Post by The Baker »

Well it's not still related but I got a new lease on life after a 4 day stay in the hospital and one stent

Definitely a good deal.

Best.

Geoff
The Baker
Sailman
Swill Maker

Post by Sailman »

Thanks for the well wishes and I guess at least in the way I'm thinking I should be drinking more homemade to clean the arteries out. LoL
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

NormandieStill wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:08 am
"I keep thinking I need to make a couple more stops at Cousin It and see if I can snag another 4 or 5 buckets before they all fall off the tree."
"So I stopped by Cousin It and quickly picked a bucket of apples Saturday to help make up what will be missed from the black and the other."
"Then Yesterday I had 10 minutes to spare (It's crazy how little spare time I have these days) I stopped and picked what I could off the other tree in the yard as the black."
"At some point in the past week I also stopped and picked what the church tree had to give."
"Yesterday I stopped and picked a bucket of apples from the black apple tree. They are running 75 to a bucket and today I picked the little tree in my front yard and got another 3/4 bucket which brings the total on hand to just under 5 buckets."
"I stopped at a new tree on my way home today and picked 3 more buckets of apples."
"I stopped once again today and picked one more bucket full."
"I stopped Tuesday on my way home and picked another bucket of apples from Cousin It."
"I also stopped at the black and picked another bucket and a half."
"I got one more bucket of blacks today."
Bushman wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:57 am Cranky you are living my life. When we got married it was a 50/50 partnership but that has changed.
Changed very much in your favour I presume? :wink:
That reminds me, I need to go refill my propane bottles.

There is an apple tree at the propane place that produced a crap load of them this year and still has a couple buckets worth on it,
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

A former member here gifted me a 4" , 10 plate column on an electric boiler , 2 other boilers and a fancy German propane burner . Got to get healed up and smart enough to use the column . I don't have a clue about it .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Wow, TB you may have gotten the best deal on the forum.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

WOW hardly covers it.
be water my friend
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Almost as good as a lotto win that one.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Iff’n you can’t figure it Butch … just say’n …. :D
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

Truckinbutch wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:39 pm A former member here gifted me a 4" , 10 plate column on an electric boiler , 2 other boilers and a fancy German propane burner . Got to get healed up and smart enough to use the column . I don't have a clue about it .
Bliksem! Sorry for the swearing but that column plus boiler is a nice gift. Would like to see a picture.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Setsumi wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:02 am
Truckinbutch wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:39 pm A former member here gifted me a 4" , 10 plate column on an electric boiler , 2 other boilers and a fancy German propane burner . Got to get healed up and smart enough to use the column . I don't have a clue about it .
Bliksem! Sorry for the swearing but that column plus boiler is a nice gift. Would like to see a picture.
Be great if I was smart enough to post pictures . I'm workin on that . It's all copper except the boiler and fabed with 4" triclamps .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

While this isn't a good deal I got it could potentially be a good deal for someone here.

I got this auction notice today.
Thomas Hayward Auctioneers wrote: Auction: Monday, December 20 at 10:00 AM PST
(Santa Clara County)
FEATURING: Wine in Barrels, Tanks, and Winery Related Equipment; Approx. 2,786 Cases of Bottled Wine; Approx. 1,474 Cases of Glass Wine Bottles; Approx. 412 full Barrels of Wine; Approx. 86 Empty Wine Barrels; Approx. 21,011 Gallons of Bulk Wine in Tanks; Forklifts, Chiller, Steamer, Kegs, Stainless Steel Fridge, Winemaking Supplies, Kegerator, Tool Shed, Bottling Supplies, Empty Tanks & Much More!
For Complete Information Call Tom: (888) 255-7633
Please Note: The sale of bulk or bottled wine is restricted to bonded wineries, and bidders for wine goods will be required to show proof of current bond status.

Purchase must be made with cash at time of sale
888-255-7633 Toll Free
Auctioneer Bond #MS1614605
State of California

Thomas Hayward, CAI
510-304-4480 Cell
NOTICE OF LIEN SALE OF WINERY INVENTORY AND EQUIPMENT In accordance with the provisions of California Commercial Code, Sections 7201-7210, there being due and unpaid storage for which The Stomping Ground Custom Crush, LLC holds a lien as a warehouse on the goods hereinafter described and due notice having been given to parties known to own or claim an interest therein and the time specified in such notice for payment on such charges as having expired, notice is hereby given that the goods will be sold at public auction at 6500 Brem Lane, City of Gilroy, County of Santa Clara, California on December 20, 2021 at 10:00 a.m. The following is a brief description of the stored property to be sold: Wine in barrels and tanks, and winery related equipment, supplies and items, including: 1. Approximately 2,786 cases of bottled wine; 2. Approximately 1,474 cases of glass wine bottles; 3. Approximately 412 full barrels of wine; 4. Approximately 86 empty wine barrels; 5. Approximately 21,011 gallons of bulk wine in tanks; 6. Miscellaneous items including forklifts, chiller, steamer, kegs, stainless steel fridge, winemaking supplies, kegerator, tool shed, bottling supplies, empty tanks, and other items as specified on the document entitled "Notice of Termination of Storage, Claim of Lien, and Lien Sale" dated November 11, 2021. The above items are being stored on behalf of Jason Goelz, Janagi Arasu aka Janu Goelz, Silicon Valley Wine Company, Inc., and Alara Cellars, LLC. The sale of wine at the auction shall be a bonded wine transfer. All bidders must show proof that the sale to said bidder will be a sale within bond as a bonded wine transfer. Dated: December 1, 2021 The Stomping Ground Custom Crush, LLC SJMN#6628463; December 1, 8, 2021
This is their facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/ThomasHaywardAuctioneers

I should also note that I am in no way affiliated with this auction and haven't been to one of their auctions in many years so can't be of any kind of assistance should you need it. I didn't even know I was still on their mailing list until today.
ThomasBrewer
Swill Maker

Post by ThomasBrewer »

Local grocer is offering 10lb bags of sugar for $2.65. I bought 5 last trip. Might have to make a few more runs.
hikertrash
Novice

Post by hikertrash »

morebeer has the kegland reflux head on sale for $102. For the time and materials I can't build one for that price.
Corn Crib
Novice

Post by Corn Crib »

Received 9, 4", 16 oz. copper disks for $30. Was searching discs for a shotgun, tried all the normal spots but had never heard of ETSY.

A guy is selling all sizes of discs and other interesting copper pieces that would be of interest here, even threw quite a few copper extras in with my order. Fast shipping and was packed really well. Those discs saved me from having to beat a piece of pipe flat.

Search: 'Copperlab' on ETSY
dunluce
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dunluce »

Wife went thrift shopping today for novels.....look what I snagged. Have the MS Society of Canada logo on them, but hey...decent deal for 6.
Attachments
glencairn.jpg
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

3.99 pesos would have been even more amazing. :lol: :lol:
be water my friend
dunluce
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dunluce »

cob wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:55 pm 3.99 pesos would have been even more amazing. :lol: :lol:
Well, that's exactly what I paid for the entire lot....3.99 Canadian pesos. :lol:
WithOrWithoutU2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WithOrWithoutU2 »

After the holidays, I'm got low on mason jars and PTFE lids for bottling. So on a whim this past weekend I decided to contact a local micro distillery to see if they'd sell me some bottles and corks. The owner said no problem and quoted me $2.00 a bottle with cork bottle tops. I sent a text today to see if I could pick them up after work. He said, he just got a pallet of bottles in today that were mislabeled and the distributor doesn't want them back. So I could have the whole pallet for free and he will just give me the corks.

Now I just have to figure out how to convince the wife to park outside the garage so I can store a pallets worth of bottles.

BTW...If anyone lives near the I-74 bridge in Iowa/IL let me know if you want in on this deal.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Sigh.

Geoff
The Baker
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

WithOrWithoutU2 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:20 pm After the holidays, I'm got low on mason jars and PTFE lids for bottling. So on a whim this past weekend I decided to contact a local micro distillery to see if they'd sell me some bottles and corks. The owner said no problem and quoted me $2.00 a bottle with cork bottle tops. I sent a text today to see if I could pick them up after work. He said, he just got a pallet of bottles in today that were mislabeled and the distributor doesn't want them back. So I could have the whole pallet for free and he will just give me the corks.

Now I just have to figure out how to convince the wife to park outside the garage so I can store a pallets worth of bottles.

BTW...If anyone lives near the I-74 bridge in Iowa/IL let me know if you want in on this deal.
Nice!!!
Can't go wrong with a deal like that :D
WithOrWithoutU2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WithOrWithoutU2 »

cranky wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:39 pm
WithOrWithoutU2 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:20 pm After the holidays, I'm got low on mason jars and PTFE lids for bottling. So on a whim this past weekend I decided to contact a local micro distillery to see if they'd sell me some bottles and corks. The owner said no problem and quoted me $2.00 a bottle with cork bottle tops. I sent a text today to see if I could pick them up after work. He said, he just got a pallet of bottles in today that were mislabeled and the distributor doesn't want them back. So I could have the whole pallet for free and he will just give me the corks.

Nice!!!
Can't go wrong with a deal like that :D
Free is always hard to beat. :thumbup:
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

D284561E-CDDC-4901-84AC-68CDD4D2C9C8.png
9ACC574F-EB93-4417-91CD-5C5C5EE76C9E.png
Today I picked this off of some old equipment we’re upgrading. :thumbup:
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Stonecutter wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:49 pm Today I picked this off of some old equipment we’re upgrading. :thumbup:
Nice :thumbup: any plans for it?
juana_b
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by juana_b »

Looks like Stonecutter needs an impeller for a half-horse motor. Or maybe for grain.
Question: Intended use? VFD to go with it? What controls it?
You can tell we're curious, right?
“Awards are merely the badges of mediocrity.”
― Charles Ives
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

cranky wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:16 pm
Stonecutter wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:49 pm Today I picked this off of some old equipment we’re upgrading. :thumbup:
Nice :thumbup: any plans for it?
Hey Cranky! I’m putting my good vibes out there for you and your family man. Day by day Brother.

Yes, I’m kicking some ideas down the road. I’m thinking an agitator for all corn mashes a’ la pintoshine but I’ve got to find some tubular steel or uni-strut on the cheap for a mount. However, I’ll take any suggestions. :think:

Edit:I could even try to hook it up to a mill…
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I got this nice 14"x16"x7" stainless steel electrical box today for free!!!! :ebiggrin:
CONTROL BOX # - Copy.jpg
CONTROL BOX #2 - C.jpg
I'm thinking of making one of them fancy control box like some of you have...or not :crazy: not really sure what I want to do with it right now but couldn't pass it up :roll:
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

I got an old fridge for free a couple of days ago. Took some measurements and I can fit one of my 32L buckets in it, so I've got a solution for temperature control (at least for single batches). I've already got a heating element so I just need to pick up or make a controller.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

cranky wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:01 pm I got this nice 14"x16"x7" stainless steel electrical box today for free!!!! :ebiggrin:
CONTROL BOX # - Copy.jpg
CONTROL BOX #2 - C.jpg
I'm thinking of making one of them fancy control box like some of you have...or not :crazy: not really sure what I want to do with it right now but couldn't pass it up :roll:
A long time ago, when I was a student and we were interested in music, one of my friends had a box, just like yours. With some controls on it, both knobs and switches and then some markings. Like 1 to 10 or 50 to 100. The box was supposed to be an amplifier for the music.
At times when a friend came along and asked about some feature he said: "I am still working on it. Good point."
And then he glued some extra knob on his box with an appropriate label. So next time he could proudly show his progress.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

When I saw the box my first thought was to make a controller that also houses all my spare contoller stuff like a 2nd switch, SSR, fan...basically 2 controllers in the same box which can be turned on with the flip of a switch... now that I put it in writing that isn't a bad idea, maybe I'll do that afterall.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

I got a free stove... current one oven was dead.

B