Anybody get any good deals lately?

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Anybody get any good deals lately?

Post by pfshine »

Now I don't go looking for scrap but if I see it near me I'll grab it. Someone threw away a water cooler and I decided to grab the copper from it. Turns out it has a SS holding bowl that is a decent size. It's perfect for an inline thumper or gin basket or something like that. I wish I knew that before I built mine, either of them. The hole in the bottom would be perfect to jam a 1" pipe through and solder as is, tight fit. On the last pic it's on 6" pipe.
Attachments
IMG_20180313_51197.jpg
IMG_20180313_36737.jpg
IMG_20180313_271.jpg
IMG_20180313_35674.jpg
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

Wow, that's neat.
Good lil find. :shifty:
*Spend it all, Use it up, Wear it out*
Beware of sheet-sniffers and dime-droppers!
Medstiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Medstiller »

There is a 30 gallon jacketed kettle on sale on CL near Salem/Eugene OR. Would make a great mashtun and boiler for All grain.

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/bfs ... 57784.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

I Just scored 30 to 40 pounds of amber malt extract for FREE. Whoo Hooo! Anyone have an opinion as to whether that would make a good single malt whiskey? If not, what would you do with it?

My brew store is looking out for me. This apparently has grown some mold on it and beer folks don't necessarily like that. :-)

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

I bet it'll make awesome whisky!
From BYO
Amber extract is typically 90 percent to 95 percent pale malt, up to 5 percent crystal malt, and/or up to 3 percent chocolate or black malt.
Which sounds really freaking good.
Expect it to not attenuate as well as an all grain mash, maybe even add enzymes if you care to ferment it dry?

Should make, what, about 15 gallons of wash?
Score!
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

zapata wrote:I bet it'll make awesome whisky!
From BYO
Amber extract is typically 90 percent to 95 percent pale malt, up to 5 percent crystal malt, and/or up to 3 percent chocolate or black malt.
Which sounds really freaking good.
Expect it to not attenuate as well as an all grain mash, maybe even add enzymes if you care to ferment it dry?

Should make, what, about 15 gallons of wash?
Score!
I picked up my free LME today, and it came in a cool 15 gallon food safe plastic barrel. Score again. I think this may become my new cooling reservoir. :-)
Free is a good price for LME
Free is a good price for LME
I was mistaken on the type of LME this is. It is actually a Bavarian Wheat LME that is 65% Wheat and 35% Barley. It's only half of what I need for a full 30 gallon ferment (to fill a 7 liter BadMo barrel), so I bought 12 lbs of peated grains to add to to mix. I'll be using some free "RUM Yeast" for this, so it's going to be a real "stone soup" whiskey. This will be my first stab at a peated whiskey. Can't wait. :-)
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Free is a good price, good luck

OVZ
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I haven't gotten to post anything on this thread in a while but yesterday I got a real bargain on although it's not stilling related it's still something very special.

This
RED RHINO 10 JUN 18 - C.jpg
MCH will recognize this right away, but for those of you who don't, that is a 1969 Jeep Gladiator header panel, rhino grill, pie pans, headlights, including bezels, hood latch. radiator core support and miscellaneous small parts, or in other words, the most valuable and second most sought after part of a Jeep Gladiator. I got this for $200 which is really a hell of a deal. I really like it because it is the same color as the old gladiator I abandoned in Alaska. My plan is to prep and paint the header panel and use it with the headlight buckets and trim rings on my truck, it will actually make me feel like part of my old truck is now on my new one. I plan on hanging the original razor grill and header panel from my truck on a wall in case I ever feel like swapping back. I already have a really good rhino grill and don't need the pie pans because I set mine up with quad headlights so I may sell the grill and pie pans to offset the cost since I used money I was saving for a fuel injector to buy this :roll: or I may just hang onto it in case I ever decide to buy another truck to flip.
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

Cranky, that is rad. Gladiator is my dream truck, no joke.
You got a tornado in there? 327?
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

zapata wrote:Cranky, that is rad. Gladiator is my dream truck, no joke.
You got a tornado in there? 327?
Mine is a '72 which was the major transition year to AMC. It is basically all Kaiser except for the engine which is an AMC 360. It was the last year for the the old kaiser interior with the classic dash and chain side tailgate as well as the last year the Willys name was used. I love my truck and am about to start on the body work and a new paint job. These old Gladiators are actually starting to climb in value if they are in good shape but there are plenty out there that are a bit rough that can be had for as little as a few hundred bucks. Right now there is a '69 in amazing condition coming up for auction in California. It looks like it was just at the end of a full restoration when something behind the dash caught fire. It has a brand new shiny red paint job and everything else looks brand new. It looks like the only real problems it has is the dash and everything behind it has been removed, the wiring is all melted and the windshield is damaged. I figure a $1,000-$1,500 parts truck and someone could easily put it back together and essentially have a brand new 50 year old truck. I'm actually thinking about trying to buy it when it does sell but today we are going to go look at a vintage Mercedes for Mrs Cranky so there may not be any space for me to put 2 more trucks let alone time for yet another project.

MCH has or had a '68 or '69 ( I think) with the Buick 350.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

That’s really a great find, cranky, that complete front section would cost way more buying parts and pieces.
It’s my favorite front end for those old trucks. Good luck with the swap over.
cranky wrote:[quote="zapata"MCH has or had a '68 or '69 ( I think) with the Buick 350.
Your memory is good, I still have my Jeep, I think it’s a 67, and yes the 350 Dauntless motor.
Love that they named the motors, I used to have a 69 with the 327 Vigilante motor.

Truck is in great shape, pretty much no rust, but I have the motor out right now.
Rebuilt it and hope to get it back in and running this summer. Very cool old trucks.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

You two have good taste :) I was about $500 short on an auction for one of the military 5/4 ton Gladiators earlier this year. Way more truck than I would want for a daily driver, but it was in fantastic condition and it didnt seem like the locals were going to bid it up. Oh well, one day....
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:Your memory is good, I still have my Jeep, I think it’s a 67, and yes the 350 Dauntless motor.
Love that they named the motors, I used to have a 69 with the 327 Vigilante motor.

Truck is in great shape, pretty much no rust, but I have the motor out right now.
Rebuilt it and hope to get it back in and running this summer. Very cool old trucks.
My memory isn't all that good :roll: but it seems like that rebuild has been going on for about 3 years now :think: kind of like my front porch :crazy:

I'm really tempted to try to get that one in California but I just got back from buying the wife an old Mercedes that some maniac put a Buick V-6 in :wtf: I suspect it came out of a Jeep which would make the Merc a Meep. It's worth way more to part out than I paid for it but it's going to be an effort to get it back on the road. I'm wondering if I can stuff a Corvette LS-1 under the hood but the Buick looks like a pretty tight fit :problem: maybe a 4.3 V-6... anyway when we get it home we will see where that goes.

She is actually very excited about it, I only hope I can make it the car she wants it to be. When we get it home I expect she will be sitting in it in the driveway going " VROOM-VROOM" We've been looking for years for a car she will love so I'm happy she found one, although I tried to steer her to a Jaguar 420 or a Rolls Royce that I knew I could fit the Corvette engine in but she loves this Mercedes. Now I need to find the time for yet another project to get this one how it needs to be.
WIski
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WIski »

Check this ou

http://www.maxanet.com/cgi-bin/mndetails.cgi?rlust141" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

Yup, almost all the mil trucks ended up as brush trucks with fire departments and have been trickling out via auctions for a while now. I have no idea how hard it would be to keep it running, but those tornado engines just look so dang cool!
Want!
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

There is actually a '65 wagoneer coming up for auction next week just down the road from me with the Tornado engine. I really don't know if it is earned but they don't have very good reputations but they really do look cool. Damn I need more land so I have a place to put some projects.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

cranky wrote:There is actually a '65 wagoneer coming up for auction next week just down the road from me with the Tornado engine. I really don't know if it is earned but they don't have very good reputations but they really do look cool. Damn I need more land so I have a place to put some projects.
I had a '63 wagoner when I was a teenager it was a huge money pit. it was a decent runner when I bought it but

a year later the tornado broke and I rebuilt it, then the clutch exploded (9pieces) + 2 more clutches so 3 in total

the 3 speed top loader twice, transfer case outputs on and on. in '63 they took that tornado 6 and station wagon

body and dropped that power and load on a 1/4 ton m38 chassis every thing on that chassis was undersized for

that much weight and power. I don't know about the '65's you likely know more about them than I do.

all in all I think the only thing on my '63 wagoner that didn't break was the lug nuts. :shock:
be water my friend
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Years ago in Skagway, Alaska I rode in one of the 1936 White motor company National Parks bus. If I ever found one for sale I would buy it.
https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/historyc ... 936bus.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Bushman wrote:Years ago in Skagway, Alaska I rode in one of the 1936 White motor company National Parks bus. If I ever found one for sale I would buy it.
https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/historyc ... 936bus.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
https://northamericanauctioncompany.com ... r-auction/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

:ebiggrin: :ebiggrin: :ebiggrin: :ebiggrin:
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

cob wrote:
cranky wrote:There is actually a '65 wagoneer coming up for auction next week just down the road from me with the Tornado engine. I really don't know if it is earned but they don't have very good reputations but they really do look cool. Damn I need more land so I have a place to put some projects.
I had a '63 wagoner when I was a teenager it was a huge money pit. it was a decent runner when I bought it but

a year later the tornado broke and I rebuilt it, then the clutch exploded (9pieces) + 2 more clutches so 3 in total

the 3 speed top loader twice, transfer case outputs on and on. in '63 they took that tornado 6 and station wagon

body and dropped that power and load on a 1/4 ton m38 chassis every thing on that chassis was undersized for

that much weight and power. I don't know about the '65's you likely know more about them than I do.

all in all I think the only thing on my '63 wagoner that didn't break was the lug nuts. :shock:
'65 was the last year the j-series used the tornado due to some unfortunate issues with the early engine mounts that caused oil leaks. A version of the tornado with improved engine mounts lived on in the M715 and M725 and was produced by Renault for the south American market until something like 1982. So this Wagoneer coming up would be one of the last ones to use one as far as Wagoneers go. Personally I think this one is probably best suited for a resto-mod. There are a couple people producing engine and transmission mounts to put Chevrolet LS engines in them which is a really nice upgrade.
rubelstrudel
Rumrunner

Post by rubelstrudel »

Stopped by a hardware store the other day. Found a Pioneer 2-din DAB+ car radio in the low price bin with a sticker price of $23.590 (original price $299) - obviously someone put the decimal point in the wrong place. But I brought the car radio to the cashier and asked if she would sell it to me for the price on the sticker.

-- Well, she said. Maybe there is an error here. But the sticker says 23.59, and the box is slightly damaged. So we just have to trust the people putting on the sticker. That will be 23.59 sir.

Everything was in the box. And the radio fit right into the wife's Subaru. So now she has radio again after they closed down FM in my parts in january.
Always impatient. But learning.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Went to an estate sale today and managed to pick up 161.1 grams (5.179 tr oz) of sterling silver for $29 :ebiggrin: Current silver spot is $16.45. The refiner I sell to pays 90% on silver, sterling is 92.5% so that would come to $13.96 an ounce meaning I could ship it off and make $70.92 for my $29. Several of the pieces are worth quite a bit more than scrap price though so one or two pieces will likely get sold to pay for the rest and the rest will get buried in the yard until silver hits $40 an ounce again :D
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Got a free 55lb bag of rye malt!!!!
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

bitter wrote:Got a free 55lb bag of rye malt!!!!
Wow, couple years ago Jaybird at NorCal brewing solutions competed me 14 lbs of malted rye. That's not cheap, great get bitter.
cdd
Novice

Post by cdd »

100 Euros worth of parts form aliexpress. Worth every cent for a lazy person :D Its a slightly innovative and an experimental project to make a kitchen distilling easier.
Attachments
Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I got a nice 3/4 HP motor for free today.
.75 HP MOTOR 07 JUL 18 #1 - C.jpg
Hoosier Shine9
Swill Maker

Post by Hoosier Shine9 »

I was talking to a buddy of mine the other day. He asked me if I needed any SS 15.5 gallon Kegs. The company he works for bought a walk in cooler at auction and 3 kegs & the pony were in it.
of course I said YES. :thumbup:
20180713_122441 mod.jpg
Well I ended up getting4 Kegs (2 of them full) and a Pony Keg (thinking about making this into a thumper) when I make my pot still head.
The top one in the photo already has a 1.5 inch TriClamp Ferrule welded on real close to the bottom. Going to utilize this for a drain. Think I am going to have 2 inch TriClamp Ferrule welded on at 90 degrees to this one for my electric element. Allowing me to do the Shine On Crazy Diamond’s "Easy Large batch method”. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=65703 The spear had been removed from this one.

I already had 1 that I had gotten from another buddy that I couldn't decide what to do with. so 5 I have 15.5 gallon Kegs & a Pony "extra".

I had never removed a spear before so I had 5 to do.
I started with the Pony Keg that was basically empty.
Tipped the keg away from me and used the Large screwdriver to release pressure. A short hiss then nothing. Turned the keg up used small screwdriver to start removing the retaining ring, then again made sure no pressure, removed ring then the Spear. Easy as pie. Turned over and dumped about 2 cups of beer out on the ground. :clap:
I repeated same procedure on the other 3 basically empty kegs with same result. :D

Now for one of the full kegs.
I followed the same protocol that I had been using but keg was so full that merely tipping did not get the spear tip out of the beer. Soo ended up getting covered in stale 2+year old (use by April 2016) Fat Tire Beer. :shock: Other than that everything went fine.
Now onto the 2nd full keg…..with similar results and getting splattered by Bud Light this time. :oops:
Any way….I now have multiple options in the future. :D
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

And of course you kept the stale beer to distil later, just to see what happens??

That's over a hundred litres at under five per cent alcohol is under FIVE LITRES OF PURE ALCOHOL and that is a lot.

Geoff
The Baker
Hoosier Shine9
Swill Maker

Post by Hoosier Shine9 »

The Baker wrote:And of course you kept the stale beer to distil later, just to see what happens??

That's over a hundred litres at under five per cent alcohol is under FIVE LITRES OF PURE ALCOHOL and that is a lot.

Geoff

well.....
no I did not for a couple of reasons:
1} didn't even think about it.
2} I have read that hops leave a mess in the still.
3} I am an idiot.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Lol Love it Hoosier 8)