Anybody get any good deals lately?

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Durhommer
Distiller

Re: Anybody get any good deals lately?

Post by Durhommer »

I'm gonna do the water soak on it tonight
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Durhommer wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:02 pm I'm gonna do the water soak on it tonight
I have never needed to soak a Gibbs barrel overnight, you would lose some of that oaky goodness to that water. In my five gal barrels Iput about a half gal of hot water in seal the bung and just slosh it around looking for any leeks, if any they do quickly swell and stop. the hot water will create a little pressure inside the sealed barrel.

Stay safe and enjoy that new barrel
OVZ
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Oldvine Zin wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:54 pm
Durhommer wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:02 pm I'm gonna do the water soak on it tonight
I have never needed to soak a Gibbs barrel overnight, you would lose some of that oaky goodness to that water. In my five gal barrels Iput about a half gal of hot water in seal the bung and just slosh it around looking for any leeks, if any they do quickly swell and stop. the hot water will create a little pressure inside the sealed barrel.

OVZ
That's exactly what I did within 15 minutes it was sealed up and is holding MY product proudly
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Durhommer wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:03 am

OVZ
That's exactly what I did within 15 minutes it was sealed up and is holding MY product proudly
Not to take the thread off topic, but just to say that nothing needs to be lost with swell water. Save it and for use when you bring down the proof of the spirit when you empty the barrel.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Expat wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:13 am
Durhommer wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:03 am

OVZ
Not to take the thread off topic, but just to say that nothing needs to be lost with swell water. Save it and for use when you bring down the proof of the spirit when you empty the barrel.
Expat, are you a Scot by any chance? :D
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
silverbean
Novice
Location: Downunder If you don't like the weather, wait 10 minutes.

Post by silverbean »

Scored a 1 meter length of 2" copper today. BIL found it under 20 years of junk during a recent cleanup. I'm thinking it might make a nice Boka.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Expat wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:13 am Not to take the thread off topic, but just to say that nothing needs to be lost with swell water. Save it and for use when you bring down the proof of the spirit when you empty the barrel.
That's a great idea. Deplorable scoped out a 2x used bourbon barrel for me that smells utterly fantastic inside. (Made me want to shrink to fit inside, float on my back in a sea of goodness and just turn my head to the side whenever I got thirsty).

From the build quality, I don't see a single drop leaking, so was not gonna swell/rinse or anything, just fill it. Do you think this approach is unwise?
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

silverbean wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:59 am Scored a 1 meter length of 2" copper today. BIL found it under 20 years of junk during a recent cleanup. I'm thinking it might make a nice Boka.
Build a shotgun!
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Twisted Brick wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:27 am
Expat wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:13 am Not to take the thread off topic, but just to say that nothing needs to be lost with swell water. Save it and for use when you bring down the proof of the spirit when you empty the barrel.
That's a great idea. Deplorable scoped out a 2x used bourbon barrel for me that smells utterly fantastic inside. (Made me want to shrink to fit inside, float on my back in a sea of goodness and just turn my head to the side whenever I got thirsty).

From the build quality, I don't see a single drop leaking, so was not gonna swell/rinse or anything, just fill it. Do you think this approach is unwise?
I can only speak from my experience, none of my barrels have ever leaked significantly however there was some seepage; given the blood sweat and tears which go into every drop I recommend swelling with water. Also, it may not be significant in the long run, but i'd prefer the wood take my water and not my precious grain juice. :)

Cross flow condenser

Post by Twisted Brick »

Expat wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:56 am Also, it may not be significant in the long run, but i'd prefer the wood take my water and not my precious grain juice. :)
I was thinking the same thing. Guess I'll haul out a spare empty handle and keep my swell water in it. Thanks for the input.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Twisted Brick wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:15 am
Expat wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:56 am Also, it may not be significant in the long run, but i'd prefer the wood take my water and not my precious grain juice. :)
I was thinking the same thing. Guess I'll haul out a spare empty handle and keep my swell water in it. Thanks for the input.
Someday I hope have enough barrels to be using the current swell, for the previous years proofing.

Cross flow condenser
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Expat wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:59 am
Someday I hope have enough barrels to be using the current swell, for the previous years proofing.
I was thinking three 5 gallon barrels ought to be right for such a rotation. Each about a year apart on the shelf. When you empty one, promptly refill it. When the next barrel is about to come of age, start another batch for it, and so on...
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Deplorable wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:08 pm
Expat wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:59 am
I was thinking three 5 gallon barrels ought to be right for such a rotation. Each about a year apart on the shelf. When you empty one, promptly refill it. When the next barrel is about to come of age, start another batch for it, and so on...
Yup, now I just need a good deal on barrels :)

Cross flow condenser
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

When I used to make a lot of beer, this system worked well with corny kegs. But the neighbors seemed to be drinking a lot of my beer, and I got tired of brewing all the time.
silverbean
Novice
Location: Downunder If you don't like the weather, wait 10 minutes.

Post by silverbean »

Deplorable wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:38 am Build a shotgun!
That was 1 idea when I thought he had a lot longer piece but I am currently only running a 1300W element in a 8.5L boiler so my Liebig is ample. Maybe a small CCVM. I will do more research and then create a seperate post with my plans.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

7BE74237-3AF5-48D7-9FCE-719A81EEA7D4.jpeg
My son in law works commercial construction and they are building a large building and could not use some of the clear grain yellow cedar so I got it for free and he said he can get me a lot more.
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Bushman wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:17 am 7BE74237-3AF5-48D7-9FCE-719A81EEA7D4.jpegMy son in law works commercial construction and they are building a large building and could not use some of the clear grain yellow cedar so I got it for free and he said he can get me a lot more.
Awesome score even in regular times, doubly so with the covid lumber effect!

Cross flow condenser

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Time to build that strip canoe, Bushman!
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

MichiganCornhusker wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:38 am Time to build that strip canoe, Bushman!
He said I can more than double the lumber if I want it. I am looking at several projects like picnic tables, Adirondack chairs, will take any suggestions from the forum of winter projects.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

I love the idea of Adirondack chairs, but to cut such beautiful, long lengths such as you have would be.... painful.

Yellow cedar dining table. Seats 10
Yellow cedar dining table. Seats 10
623D8B7C-AE44-4FFD-A11A-FDAA08E694A6.jpeg (21.41 KiB) Viewed 2242 times

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
Windswept
Swill Maker

Post by Windswept »

Twisted Brick wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:27 am I love the idea of Adirondack chairs, but to cut such beautiful, long lengths such as you have would be.... painful.

623D8B7C-AE44-4FFD-A11A-FDAA08E694A6.jpeg
I agree, I'd canoe that up!
If I didn't learn the hard way, I wouldn't learn at all!
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I have a 20” industrial planer but not sure I want to cut them down either. Nice looking table Twisted did you build it?
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Bushman wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:15 am I have a 20” industrial planer but not sure I want to cut them down either. Nice looking table Twisted did you build it?
No. (I wish) I did a search for yellow cedar projects and it showed up.

Don't ask me why, but after a recruiting trip for my daughter, we had lunch at a Westwood restaurant at a table I fell in love with. The table exudes warmth and just begs for a large group to gather at it and eat. The table I pictured reminded me of it.
Le Pain Quotidien
Le Pain Quotidien

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

This is the table in the wine cellar of the hotel/restaurant that my son is the manager of. You can reserve it for special events.
B1B4EA0D-239A-43A7-8E54-370A7265FF01.jpeg
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Magnificent setting, Bushman. Thanks for sharing.

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Post by goinbroke2 »

Local superstore had bags of sugar on for $1.50 (for 2kg bag, 4.4 lbs)
Bought 60 bags and put on a 50L sugar wash using turbo. ( I know but I wanted to try it)
Fermented in 4 days, stirred the co2 out and let it sit over night.
Still milky but I ran it anyway, got about 18l of low wines, started at 76 and took it to 25% but forgot to check to total Abv.

Starting a second batch tomorrow.
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

A good price I know but, sixty bags of sugar!

My wife complains bitterly when I add ONE bag (three kilos) to the weekly shopping.

Geoff
The Baker
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

If you got room to store it that is a great price. I buy 25lb bags and my wife is always stealing from my containers. Good find on the sugar.
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Post by goinbroke2 »

I always restock the pallet of bags to get to the heavy brown shipping paper. There is ten bags per brown wrapper, three fit in a shopping cart standing up. Just have to bring one single bag for the cashier to scan. They always say "can you open that so I can scan one of the bags"? And I say "no, that's why I buy them like this, easier to carry" then give her the single bag.

Wife is pretty much good with anything I buy for making likker, hell she stopped drinking when they invented the funnel!
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

#20 golden promise for 15 bucks at the brew shop...dude was overwhelmed with customers and I helped a few find stuff so he gave me a deal