Anybody get any good deals lately?

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Anybody get any good deals lately?

Post by Stonecutter »

Nice pick Sailman! $25 is a screaming deal. :thumbup:
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

At 25 cents they might as well just given them to you.
Sailman
Swill Maker

Post by Sailman »

Bushman wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 4:48 pm At 25 cents they might as well just given them to you.
I wish
bcook608
Rumrunner

Post by bcook608 »

Scored this little rig for $350 from a guy that's going legit and needed space to store his new 500 gallon column (drool).

She aint purdy yet, but I expect she'll shine up nice (pun intended)

It has a 26 gallon boiler (2x13 gallon kegs welded together) with a 2kw and 1.5kw element (no controller so I will be plugging the element ports and running it on propane until I have a better understanding of electric stills), reflux column with internal coil (VM I believe), and a 3/4" inside 1" leibig condenser. Former owner said he had the bottom (2kw) element plugged in 100% with no controller and used an inkbird with the probe at the top of the column to operate the upper (1.5kw) element to keep temps where he wanted them. I'm not sure if that's the route I want to go, but please let me know what you guys think.

I will likely rebuild the column with T/C fittings to make it more modular and make some slight adjustments to the design. I intend to run this as a simple pot still but I couldn't pass on the package deal so I'll keep the existing pieces for any future projects once I get some experience under my belt. I think I'll keep my eye out for a 1/2 barrel keg to convert into a thumper, but that will probably be down the road a ways.

20220212_113436.jpg
juana_b
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by juana_b »

That's sweet.
Were the bottoms cut off both, so there's a tri-clamp on bottom also?
“Awards are merely the badges of mediocrity.”
― Charles Ives
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

bcook608 wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:27 pm Former owner said he had the bottom (2kw) element plugged in 100% with no controller and used an inkbird with the probe at the top of the column to operate the upper (1.5kw) element to keep temps where he wanted them. I'm not sure if that's the route I want to go, but please let me know what you guys think.
That seems like a great way to get smearing to happen. By cycling an element on and off in response to a temp at the top of the column you'll be pushing tails up the column. A simple eBay SCR style controller should happily take care of one element (personally I wouldn't put more than 2.5kW onto one of the supposed 10000W units!). I would run the 2kW one as the controlled element (because it's at the bottom) and use the 1.5kW one as a heat-up boost.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
bcook608
Rumrunner

Post by bcook608 »

I thought that sounded kind of weird too. Plus the fact that I hadn't seen anything CLOSE to that on here led me to believe that it probably wasn't the best option for running. I might step the 2kw down to a 1.5kw as I don't have a 20a circuit in my garage (I don't think, I'll have to double check.)

I was thinking about switching to a controller
I just get intimidated by electricity because most of my research and attention has been focused on remembering the tips and info relating to running a propane boiler. Guess I'll have to go back through and see what I can find on internal heating.
juana_b
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by juana_b »

Stonecutter wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:23 pm Ask and you shall receive! I’ve been trying to piece together parts for a CCVM build but the cost of copper is ridiculous. Low and behold the plumbers needed some material ran up and down the vator today and the Foreman was kind enough to toss me this scrap for my troubles. It’s 8’ of 2” type “L” and about 10’ of line set!!! The clouds have opened up and the angels are singing!

E703C9B1-4363-4561-B1D3-80864DEED56C.png
I love those jobs!
Make 10,000 friends and not one enemy and the squeaky wheel gets the oil. If you were on a job of mine, told me what you wanted to do, AND helped us, I'd have an apprentice drive to the shop to gather your list for you.
Might not have everything, but it'd get you a start minus odd components.
“Awards are merely the badges of mediocrity.”
― Charles Ives
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Haha! Yeah, ya seem to catch more fly’s with honey.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
bcook608
Rumrunner

Post by bcook608 »

Even more with good quality booze!
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Free 50l sanke keg
bcook608
Rumrunner

Post by bcook608 »

SCORE!
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

bitter wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:42 pm Free 50l sanke keg
Nice, years ago I bought two for $15 at a garage sale. They were pretty old kegs.
Zeotropic
Rumrunner

Post by Zeotropic »

I got around 6' of old scrap 1 1/2" copper drain pipe from a job for free. Its old and nasty but I couldn't bear to throw it out. I don't know what I will use it for just yet.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Bushman wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:16 pm
bitter wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:42 pm Free 50l sanke keg
Nice, years ago I bought two for $15 at a garage sale. They were pretty old kegs.
A local brewery was giving them away as they have spear issues. I will be removing the spear anyways. It just not worth the cost of repairing them vs getting new these days they say. 1 spoiled keg of beer and it costs them more. I should have asked for 2

B
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Going to pick up two of these tomorrow. I only need one right now but it’s to good a deal to not get a couple
8F0D803A-8A85-434A-A484-82DB8CA93FE4.png
Edit: they are old essential oil containers. They’ll need a soak, hopefully I can pick my way through to a couple that stand out to me.
-Thomas Paine
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Stonecutter wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:23 pm Ask and you shall receive! I’ve been trying to piece together parts for a CCVM build but the cost of copper is ridiculous. Low and behold the plumbers needed some material ran up and down the vator today and the Foreman was kind enough to toss me this scrap for my troubles. It’s 8’ of 2” type “L” and about 10’ of line set!!! The clouds have opened up and the angels are singing!

E703C9B1-4363-4561-B1D3-80864DEED56C.png
Thats enough copper to build a hell of a modular CCVM.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Stonecutter wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:09 pm Going to pick up two of these tomorrow. I only need one right now but it’s to good a deal to not get a couple

8F0D803A-8A85-434A-A484-82DB8CA93FE4.png

Edit: they are old essential oil containers. They’ll need a soak, hopefully I can pick my way through to a couple that stand out to me.
I'm holding out for an open top 55G, unless I can get a real clean closed top for under $20 and less than a 10 minute drive. Then I'd just cut the top off below the joint so I could still use it as a cover. There doesn't seem to be anyone really close to me selling a stash of barrels. They're all a 2 to 3 hour drive each way.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

An open top would be great! I’ll definitely check around for one. If the picture is accurate there should be plenty of shit to choose from. It just so happens the job site is near this place otherwise it’d be an hour drive for the whole trip, so it’s worth checking out.
-Thomas Paine
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I got an open top 55 gallon some years ago and only ever used it once :roll: It's currently being used to catch rainwater. I'm not a fan of 55 gallon ferments in a single container.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

cranky wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:14 am I got an open top 55 gallon some years ago and only ever used it once :roll: It's currently being used to catch rainwater. I'm not a fan of 55 gallon ferments in a single container.
It is a lot to lose if a ferment gets an infection.
DSM Loki
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DSM Loki »

Deplorable wrote:
cranky wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:14 am I got an open top 55 gallon some years ago and only ever used it once :roll: It's currently being used to catch rainwater. I'm not a fan of 55 gallon ferments in a single container.
You're not wrong. I had two of my 60 gallon ferments turn to vinegar on me.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Deplorable wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:43 am
That's the problem I have with using it. I had 10 gallons of apple cider turn vinegar on me once, I sure don't want 50 gallons of vinegar.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Horses for course’s
55gal are perfect for a big Nuetral Sugar wash or Rum washes . :thumbup:

But I’d take Cranky’s advise any day regarding suitability for Fruit ferments… (insert salute Imogen)
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Yummyrum wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:15 am Horses for course’s
55gal are perfect for a big Nuetral Sugar wash or Rum washes . :thumbup:

But I’d take Cranky’s advise any day regarding suitability for Fruit ferments… (insert salute Imogen)
That’s what I had in mind for them :thumbup: thanks for your input I was getting a little hesitant
I didn’t go yesterday.
Hopefully I get some time today.
-Thomas Paine
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I found some 2” copper pipe at the junkyard for $5 a pound. Not sure if that’s a good deal or not.
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

$64.96 for 5' of 2" type M copper pipe is the cheapest I can find locally and the website says it is 6.8 lbs. That's $12.99 per pound if that weight is correct. Google says the going price for copper is $3.00-$3.85 per pound, but I'd consider $5 per pound to be a good deal.
RC Al
Swill Maker

Post by RC Al »

Our buy price over here would be close to that google price, up about 20% in the past 2 years.

A few bucks extra aint bad if you can get something made though.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Salt Must Flow wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:23 pm $64.96 for 5' of 2" type M copper pipe is the cheapest I can find locally and the website says it is 6.8 lbs. That's $12.99 per pound if that weight is correct. Google says the going price for copper is $3.00-$3.85 per pound, but I'd consider $5 per pound to be a good deal.
I am pricing it at a scrap yard so the difference is probably used over new. But the used price is less than 1/2 new. I will check to see if I can find it at your per pound price. I am guessing shipping would make it more expensive.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

Out the door price for scrap copper on this side of the hill. $2.30 today. long drive though. (for you not me)
be water my friend