Anybody get any good deals lately?

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

cranky
Master of Distillation

Re: Anybody get any good deals lately?

Post by cranky »

Deplorable wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:01 pm lol my wife would shit if I unloaded all that. 31 gallons of apple juice. That's a nice bit of apple brandy right there. The cranberry cocktail, Im not sure what I'd do with it. Reflux into neutral?
I expected my wife to not approve but she knows it was a hell of a deal and I can't pass up that sort of thing. as far as the cranberry, I was planning to make neutral out of it but NZChris says it might make a nice sparkling hard "cider" so I'm going to ferment it and see what I think before deciding anything further.
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

This is an appropriate place but I really hope I get a quick response.
On Facebook so I'm concerened.
Does anyone have any experience with Thompson Barrell?
They are having a online discount sale - a 2 L Personalized Barrell for $38.00 shipping included.
I've been burned once on a Facebook advertiser so being very cautious.
Anyone know about them?
Thompson.jpg
Thompson.jpg (26.59 KiB) Viewed 1938 times
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

TDick wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:08 pm This is an appropriate place but I really hope I get a quick response.
On Facebook so I'm concerened.
Does anyone have any experience with Thompson Barrell?
They are having a online discount sale - a 2 L Personalized Barrell for $38.00 shipping included.
I've been burned once on a Facebook advertiser so being very cautious.
Anyone know about them?

Thompson.jpg
$40 sounds like you might get burned again, but it might turn out okay. Flip a coin.
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

I wouldn't trust it that's too cheap a price
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Today I got a few more cans of free apple juice
APPLE JUICE 27 MAR 21 #2A - C.jpg
At least as far as Mrs Cranky knows :shh: In reality It's actually 576 cans :roll: which is 51 gallons of apple juice.
Zeotropic
Rumrunner

Post by Zeotropic »

cranky wrote:Today I got a few more cans of free apple juice
At least as far as Mrs Cranky knows :shh: In reality It's actually 576 cans :roll: which is 51 gallons of apple juice.
Have fun opening cans. I foresee sore fingers.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Switching from apples from trees to cans of juice from the factory?
Quite a different way of working: you will need a can shredder. But I guess you can build one yourself.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

I bought 5 records for my dad for 75 bucks
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

cranky wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:26 pm Today I got a few more cans of free apple juice
I'm kinda envious. That's a nice haul. I'd be forced to learn to make apple brandy if I came across that much free juice.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Zeotropic wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:11 pm Have fun opening cans. I foresee sore fingers.
Mrs Cranky has that down pat, a short butter knife or church key is all it takes and no sore fingers. She opened 320 Thursday and another 110 Friday with no problems.
Kareltje wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:14 pm Switching from apples from trees to cans of juice from the factory?
Quite a different way of working: you will need a can shredder. But I guess you can build one yourself.
I know! It's very different for me. I know from past experience it won't be as good as fresh pressed but I am on opportunist and am not about to pass up 80 gallons of free juice.
Deplorable wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:39 pm I'm kinda envious. That's a nice haul. I'd be forced to learn to make apple brandy if I came across that much free juice.
Thank you, it was just too good to pass up.
Zeotropic
Rumrunner

Post by Zeotropic »

cranky wrote:
Zeotropic wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:11 pm Have fun opening cans. I foresee sore fingers.
Mrs Cranky has that down pat, a short butter knife or church key is all it takes and no sore fingers. She opened 320 Thursday and another 110 Friday with no problems.
Kareltje wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:14 pm Switching from apples from trees to cans of juice from the factory?
I know! It's very different for me. I know from past experience it won't be as good as fresh pressed but I am on opportunist and am not about to pass up 80 gallons of free juice.
Deplorable wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:39 pm I'm kinda envious. That's a nice haul. I'd be forced to learn to make apple brandy if I came across that much free juice.
Thank you, it was just too good to pass up.
Man she's good.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Zeotropic wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:09 pm Man she's good.
She is :thumbup:

I'm kind of surprised she isn't complaining but she is taking this thing well even after she found out what my definition of "a few more cans" is.

I'm actually interested to see how close I can make this brandy taste to fresh pressed, although I will likely be turning it into Scumble in the long run, which is entirely different.
Zeotropic
Rumrunner

Post by Zeotropic »

IMG_20210327_210415191.jpg
I got corks from the hardware store. I bought one of each of the bigger sizes so that I can figure out what sizes I need.
I don't know if it was a good deal but I was happy to finally remember to get them.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

I picked up a nice clean, gently used 30 gallon barrel for a new fermenter. $30 on Craig's list. Previous guy was storing bird seed in it. He asked what I planned to use it for, I said "temporary grain storage".
Calamity Jane approves.
20210403_121318.jpg
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Deplorable wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:30 pm I picked up a nice clean, gently used 30 gallon barrel for a new fermenter. $30 on Craig's list. Previous guy was storing bird seed in it. He asked what I planned to use it for, I said "temporary grain storage".
Calamity Jane approves.

20210403_121318.jpg
Nice score there deplorable and I bet you will be filling it up soon
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Durhommer wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:58 pm
Deplorable wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:30 pm I picked up a nice clean, gently used 30 gallon barrel for a new fermenter. $30 on Craig's list. Previous guy was storing bird seed in it. He asked what I planned to use it for, I said "temporary grain storage".
Calamity Jane approves.

20210403_121318.jpg
Nice score there deplorable and I bet you will be filling it up soon
It got a good hot bath and a Star-San rinse. I'm thinking about a sugar head off my bourbon grains that are currently fermenting in my Brute, but I'm running out of available weekends to distill. We've got a few pleasure trips coming up, and I need to get the 5th wheel dewinterized and ready, and get the lawn back in shape. Winter was hard on the yard this year.
Mashable
Novice

Post by Mashable »

201D8911-86B0-4686-83D1-485F4E2D104D.jpeg
Kijiji find $100 CAD for all 5 tee’s 3x1-1/2x3!!!!

Seller asked if I was a plumber! I said no, there for an art project my wife has on the go!
Last edited by Mashable on Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
tiramisu
Swill Maker

Post by tiramisu »

pretty copper
Winnipeg204
Novice

Post by Winnipeg204 »

Got this for $80, came with extra stuff I didnt see in the kijiji ad and all the parts on the left to make the sneaky thumper connection (the reducer fits inside the 2"), he offered to deliver and then gave me about 15lb of used scrap 1/2" copper too cause he didnt want to deal with it. Oh well, $4.25 a lb ill go get $60 back from the scrap. I'll try soldering a ferrule to that 3kw element for some extra power.
20210415_182546.jpg
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

TempletonRye.jpg
I went to the grocery store to get burger buns and fries for dinner.
Saw this box with a bottle of Templeton Rye on sale.
Normally $56 but it's one of the packs they put out at Christmas with the two glasses in it.
On sale for $30.
Grab it, go to self check and it won't scan.
Kid comes to help me, won't scan for him too... 😉 so he goes over to his workstation, nothing works.
Says "Do you remember the price?" honestly I say $29.99.
He rings it up as Grocery for $25.
No 21% WA state tax and no Liter fee.
I was tempted to go back and see if I could find more but figured I'd just take the win and get out of there.
This is 95% rye, what I want to know is how do they mash 95% rye without going out of their minds?
Also - this really tastes great, I've been gaining a lot of respect for rye whiskey.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

nerdybrewer wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:07 pm
This is 95% rye, what I want to know is how do they mash 95% rye without going out of their minds?
Also - this really tastes great, I've been gaining a lot of respect for rye whiskey.
Nice get, Nerdy!

This is a 'good deals' thread, but in short, even raw (unmalted) rye can be tamed with several rests on the way up and glucanase on the way down. Here are some links to some commercial guys that have their processes down.

https://adiforums.com/topic/9233-rye-mash/

https://adiforums.com/topic/9233-rye-mash/
Last edited by Twisted Brick on Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

nerdybrewer wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:07 pm
Nice one :thumbup: :thumbup:

Stay safe
OVZ
quite4
Novice

Post by quite4 »

My father came over for a beer tonight.
Says his neighbour has 57 plum trees and don't know what to do with them, he is too old to pick the trees himself. old man mentioned him and I bulit a 30l keg still recently. He's willing to give us all the fruit if we drink some booze with him once it's done. Gonna be a fun weekend.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

nerdybrewer wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:07 pm TempletonRye.jpgI went to the grocery store to get burger buns and fries for dinner.
Saw this box with a bottle of Templeton Rye on sale.
Normally $56 but it's one of the packs they put out at Christmas with the two glasses in it.
On sale for $30.
Grab it, go to self check and it won't scan.
Kid comes to help me, won't scan for him too... 😉 so he goes over to his workstation, nothing works.
Says "Do you remember the price?" honestly I say $29.99.
I was tempted to go back and see if I could find more but figured I'd just take the win and get out of there.
No better deal than sticking it to the governor!
RC Al
Swill Maker

Post by RC Al »

I occasionally randomly search things I will need in the future to see how prices are going, so I type in brazing rod, get a hit back from repco (auto parts supplier here in oz) in their clearance section. Packs of 2x 45% silver fluxed 1.6mm brazing rods $10, getting excited I type in 10 packs, nope.. turns out they only had 6 packs, shame... no postage, they send it to the store of choice for free.. googled the product number - $60+ a pack elsewhere woot! passing on a couple of packs to one of the local guys here, I can share lols.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

1DA585C4-9425-4C5C-8026-53709ED21858.png
Guess what I am doing this weekend. Just got this crate of apples for free.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Nice!!!
Need some help with those??

Stay safe
OVZ
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Bushman wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:00 pm 1DA585C4-9425-4C5C-8026-53709ED21858.pngGuess what I am doing this weekend. Just got this crate of apples for free.
Someone cleaning out the cellar to make room for a new crop this year?
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Bushman wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:00 pm 1DA585C4-9425-4C5C-8026-53709ED21858.pngGuess what I am doing this weekend. Just got this crate of apples for free.
Nice Bushman :thumbup: I'm jealous.

I'd like to know how long it takes your new grinder to go through them.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Will take some videos and do some timed runs.