Anybody get any good deals lately?

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bushman
Admin

Anybody get any good deals lately?

Post by Bushman »

I just got a 5 gallon glass carboy at a garage sale in excellent shape for $3.00!
Prairiepiss
retired

Re: Anybody get any good deals lately?

Post by Prairiepiss »

$3 is a nice price. I would by them all day for that. :clap:
I got a 2" stainless ball valve and a 15 gal blue foodgrade drum for $0 last week. Does that qualify? :lol:
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
staggerlee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by staggerlee »

Two 50 bottle wooden wine racks at a garage sale for $1.50 each. They came out of a liquor store so the quality was pretty decent.
bentstick
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bentstick »

Yes but is was not me sent a piece of 4ft 2" copper out just charged shipping still waiting for payment sent 3 e-mails no answer so I figure someone got a heel of a deal, shame on me for trusting I guess I could of put this in the thief thread. what ya think :thumbdown:
It is what you make it
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

bentstick wrote:Yes but is was not me sent a piece of 4ft 2" copper out just charged shipping still waiting for payment sent 3 e-mails no answer so I figure someone got a heel of a deal, shame on me for trusting I guess I could of put this in the thief thread. what ya think :thumbdown:
Man that is really a bummer, hope it wasn't another one of our members?
bentstick
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bentstick »

At one time but probably changed handle has not been on in a about a week and 1/2 go figure
It is what you make it
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

That really sucks, bentstick... I couldn't trust anyone that much, for obvious reasons...

What would be worse is if this person was to use that copper to build a still and then sell it to yet another member...
bentstick
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bentstick »

Yea well karma will bite em in the ass when they least expect it when they get pissed cause someone steals from them and then purposely steal from someone else ya kind of sit back and think what kind of person are they really. Yes Rad I should of known better but I felt good helping someone out I had the means and No I don't do stuff like this much because of human nature just trying to help.
It is what you make it
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I just got around 30 feet of 1/4" refrigeration copper tubing stamped ARC for $1.00 at a garage sale. Still has the caps on the end!
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

OK, this hobby has turned me into a Garage Sale Junky. Just got 5' of type L 3/4" and 5' of type L 1/2" copper pipe for $1.00 along with a half dozen square jars that hold 200 ml with metal lids to use for collecting!
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

12' of 2" DWV for $50. Retail, with taxes would cost $140. Plus about a day of travel. Not a bad deal. Think I'll have to go retail for the fittings.
I do all my own stunts
mash rookie
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by mash rookie »

When running my shop errands Tuesday in the industrial part of town I stopped in a plastic retailer where I have purchased acrylic before. I need to make gaskets for my site glasses.

I told him I was helping a friend build a beer boiler and needed some food grade virgin Teflon sheet to make a couple of gaskets. I told him maybe a half a square foot.

He grabbed a roll and scissors and started to cut off a piece. It bothered him that he was making a ugly cut. When I said it would be fine, he walked away into the back room and cut off a foot long piece of a four foot roll and came back and gave it to me free.
Ten times more than I need. For free.
frozenthunderbolt
Distiller

Post by frozenthunderbolt »

Two micro barrels 1-2L (not 100% sure yet) for $58 (inc shipping) which is about 6-8 times cheaper than if i had to buy them both new. I know small aint great, but its a start!
Where has all the rum gone? . . .

Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
bentstick
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bentstick »

Hvac guys were putting AC condensers in today at work, Asked what ya have in your hand to solder the tubes together ( silver). I asked have any extra, yes here ya go gave me about 12 sticks 16 inches long. Friend of bosses so I will take him some sf thats been Oaked for awhile told him I know somebody.
It is what you make it
Bearcat
Novice

Post by Bearcat »

I got another 7 foot piece of two inch from my plumber buddy. (boka!) Scored five 8 gallon plastic hdpe buckets with air tight seals from the local bakery for free for mashing my upcoming mashes. Things are moving along on the cheap side lately and am thankful.
OlympicMtDoo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by OlympicMtDoo »

I just got one hell of a deal.....a pretty good buzz off a couple of cocktails of my own hooch, didn't really keep track of the actual cost in dollars to make it but the fun of makin it was free. Now that right there is a bargin anyone agree?
Sometimes I wonder why is that Frisbee getting bigger......and then it hits me.
Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

Got 5 rolls of lead free solder at a car boot(trunk) sale for £1 ($1.50US) each... £19.99 in the store...
Box of assorted copper fittings (about 80) all in their poly bags for £2.00...

Great bargains... :thumbup:
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

Beginners should visit The New Distillers Reading Lounge and the Safety and Related Issues among others...
james123
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: Sat in front of my computer somewhere in Cornwall, near England..

Post by james123 »

Bought on ebay for £12.50: 3x 25l fermentation barrels, 25l fermentation bucket (all with taps), 3x air locks+bungs, hundreds of bottle corks and plastic covers, corking machine, new hydrometer and measuring tube, filter kit, syphon and loads of other brewing bits! Was collection only and the bloke lived less than a mile away from me. :thumbup:
Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

Great find James, that would have cost a fortune from the homebrew shop. Nice one.

I was picking my daughter up from horse riding lessons today and called into my local Boot (Trunk) sale as I had an hour to spare.

Found 5 of these baby's...
HD-Bottle.jpg
Brain started to work overtime, 'What used to be in them, What used to be in them'...
"They are 2gal earthenware bottles that were used to make ginger beer", the guy told me, "Now they're just taking up space".
I bought the 5 of them for £1.00 ($1.50US) each.
They are in pristine condition and with blackberry and plumb season nearly on us again, I figure that I'll have enough storage for some wine and brandy...

Never used to be a fan of boot sales, but last week I bought:
  • a 6" bench vice (£3)
  • a welders leather apron (£1)
  • a 20Kg Anvil (£8)
  • a 1Kg bag of copper nails (£1.50) (I'll use these for copper rivets (2mm Dia)
  • and 2 x 250g tubs of Power Flux (£2)
Going back next week... If this keeps up, I'm gonna need a bigger shed... :wave:
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

Beginners should visit The New Distillers Reading Lounge and the Safety and Related Issues among others...
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Just got back from a garage sale and they had 2 Anheuser Busch 15.5 gallon kegs, I asked how much they wanted and since it was the end of the sale they said how about 5 dollars each. I picked out the best one and said I would take it, the wife said how about a two for one special so I got both kegs in great shape for $5.00. The husband said when you fill them we will be over, I just smiled and drove away!
james123
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: Sat in front of my computer somewhere in Cornwall, near England..

Post by james123 »

I really miss going to car boot/trunk sales, when I lived further up country it used to be a regular thing and they had hundreds of sellers. In Cornwall the last one I went to had 2 cars selling...waste of time! After seeing what you got Samohon I might start driving over to Devon on the look out :D
Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

My sister lives in Buckinghamshire, she said that theres loads there...

Next time I talk to her I'll get some details for ya... :thumbup:

PS:Nice score Bushman... Now all you gotta do is fill them... (Shhh, thats the easy part)
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

I just snagged a nice wine kit with 2 glass carboys and a floor corker for 25 bucks. I don't think any of the equipment has ever been used.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

Nice score RD... :thumbup:
I doubt you could buy one glass carboy for that. There about £25.00 ($38US) here... Really nice find... :thumbup:
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Samohon wrote:My sister lives in Buckinghamshire, she said that theres loads there...

Next time I talk to her I'll get some details for ya... :thumbup:

PS:Nice score Bushman... Now all you gotta do is fill them... (Shhh, thats the easy part)
I like your get as well, we have some of those old moonshine jugs but I never know what was in them and not being able to see inside I worry if I really get them clean. But I do think they are neat and yours look like they are in great shape!
Mr.Brown
Swill Maker

Post by Mr.Brown »

got a line on two beer kegs from an aquaintance. He just wants them out of his garage. Can't call it a deal until i get my hands on them but hope to pick them up this week.
Anything i do or say here is purely hypothetical and for information gathering and sharing purposes only.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Not a real good deal but. I found cut up wine barrel staves to put in your smoker on the clearance rack. Ace hardware has them clearanced at $6 normally $12.50. It looks like each package has 1.5 staves in it. Cut in 1" wide strips 12" long 6 per bundle. I bought 3 packs of the most even ones they had. I have been looking for a half barrel I could use. And the only place I found one was $80. I'm not paying that much. So I think these will get me by till I find one cheaper.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Prairiepiss wrote:Not a real good deal but. I found cut up wine barrel staves to put in your smoker on the clearance rack. Ace hardware has them clearanced at $6 normally $12.50. It looks like each package has 1.5 staves in it. Cut in 1" wide strips 12" long 6 per bundle. I bought 3 packs of the most even ones they had. I have been looking for a half barrel I could use. And the only place I found one was $80. I'm not paying that much. So I think these will get me by till I find one cheaper.
If there is a winery close, see if you can get a few damaged staves...
The Baker
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

The Baker wrote:If there is a winery close, see if you can get a few damaged staves...
all the local winerys here (my area, U.S.) are using french oak barrels.

yesterday aquired a tekk 250ml. graduated cylinder for $1 at a farm sale, recolored the graduation etchings and good to go. cob
be water my friend
losthog
Novice

Post by losthog »

I found this really great site with lots of info on a subject I am interested in learning more about...Its free.
Still looking for my first build and run...