Anybody get any good deals lately?

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

User avatar
pope
Site Donor
Site Donor
Posts: 1335
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:56 pm
Location: Tinseltown

Re: Anybody get any good deals lately?

Post by pope » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:03 pm

I bought a set of 'precision' chinese ones that I liked because they were slim and tiny so they worked in my parrot without the flow pressure raising the hydrometer. Turns out when I finally compared they were not very precise. Now they just take up room in the back of a drawer since I don't have the heart to trash them.
"A little learning is a dang'rous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, And drinking largely sobers us again." - Alexander Pope

User avatar
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Posts: 3702
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:16 pm
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Re: Anybody get any good deals lately?

Post by jedneck » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:14 pm

8 300lb butcher hogs for case of miller lite each. Ilike having hog farmer friends
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder

User avatar
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Site Mod
Posts: 2867
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:14 pm
Location: Look Up

Re: Anybody get any good deals lately?

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:20 pm

I like having a butcher friend....
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."

StillerBoy
Site Donor
Site Donor
Posts: 2263
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:27 pm
Location: Ontario

Re: Anybody get any good deals lately?

Post by StillerBoy » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:21 pm

jedneck wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:14 pm
8 300lb butcher hogs for case of miller lite each. Ilike having hog farmer friends
That is a very good deal.. those are prime size hogs, the best there is..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my ideas "

– Albert Einstein

User avatar
Hambone
Swill Maker
Posts: 217
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:24 am
Location: MO, just around the bend...

Re: Anybody get any good deals lately?

Post by Hambone » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:42 pm

I got a free hog from a buddy who's son had a 4H project that grew out of control. Was 650 lbs at slaughter. Still good, but wow. The bacon I cured was wider than my hand. I called it "Fred Flintstone" bacon...
IMG_0083.JPG
Good judgement is the result of experience.

Experience is usually the result of bad judgement..

User avatar
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Posts: 3702
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:16 pm
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Re: Anybody get any good deals lately?

Post by jedneck » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:48 pm

Thats a nice meaty bacon. I had customer with 3 hogs that had 130# of bacon off the 3 of them
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder

User avatar
NZChris
Master Distiller
Posts: 8572
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:42 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Anybody get any good deals lately?

Post by NZChris » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:48 pm

Beautiful looking bacon Hambone. I've never been lucky enough to score belly that thick. :thumbup:

User avatar
cranky
Site Donor
Site Donor
Posts: 5739
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:18 pm
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: Anybody get any good deals lately?

Post by cranky » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:40 am

HomerD wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:48 am
It doesn’t say anything about shipping or not on the auction page. It said there is supposed to be a link for each auction beside the name that gives that info, and I don’t see anything.

Homer
There may be something as the auction time gets close. You can always call the company and see if they will work with you.

One thing to know about these auctions is there is what appears to be a set closing time but every time a bid is made on any item the closing time is extended on all items so it can turn into a real endurance auction and you have to keep a close eye on what you want.

User avatar
cranky
Site Donor
Site Donor
Posts: 5739
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:18 pm
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: Anybody get any good deals lately?

Post by cranky » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:48 am

I just noticed this one as well
https://www.cyberauctions.com/PreviewAu ... directed=1

This is the spirit auction to go with the equipment auction.

Some items like the full barrels of whiskey say "To be Purchased by Active Permit Holders Only" I don't know what kind of permit is required but I know I don't have one or I would sure be bidding on some of those barrels.

I might be bidding on some of the brandys and liquors but looking at the plastic containers full of spirits that appear to have been stored in them since as early as 2011 I'm not so sure I want anything.

User avatar
HomerD
Site Donor
Site Donor
Posts: 177
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:00 am
Location: USA

Re: Anybody get any good deals lately?

Post by HomerD » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:50 am

cranky wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:40 am
HomerD wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:48 am
It doesn’t say anything about shipping or not on the auction page. It said there is supposed to be a link for each auction beside the name that gives that info, and I don’t see anything.

Homer
There may be something as the auction time gets close. You can always call the company and see if they will work with you.

One thing to know about these auctions is there is what appears to be a set closing time but every time a bid is made on any item the closing time is extended on all items so it can turn into a real endurance auction and you have to keep a close eye on what you want.
Thanks, cranky. I’ll keep an eye on it and give them a call if I need to.

Homer
[align=][/align]Stay strapped or get clapped.
15.5 gallon boiler, 5 gallon thumper, shotgun condenser, 57” spiraled liebig,
mash steam cooker head, 5.5 kW element with SCR controller
All modular

User avatar
cranky
Site Donor
Site Donor
Posts: 5739
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:18 pm
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: Anybody get any good deals lately?

Post by cranky » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:21 am

I don't know if this is a local thing or nation wide but when I loaded my weekly digital coupons to my Safeway card they have one for 64oz Signature select 100% apple juice for 99 cents (limit 3) which is a pretty good deal if you don't mind Chinese apple juice. That's only $3 for a gallon and a half and if you had 20 or so burner emails and Safeway cards to go with them you could get 30 gallons of apple juice for only $60 :ebiggrin:

User avatar
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor
Posts: 2024
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:16 pm
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: Anybody get any good deals lately?

Post by Oldvine Zin » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:31 pm

cranky wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:21 am
I don't know if this is a local thing or nation wide but when I loaded my weekly digital coupons to my Safeway card they have one for 64oz Signature select 100% apple juice for 99 cents (limit 3) which is a pretty good deal if you don't mind Chinese apple juice. That's only $3 for a gallon and a half and if you had 20 or so burner emails and Safeway cards to go with them you could get 30 gallons of apple juice for only $60 :ebiggrin:
Yea but still nothing I would want to ferment for own my enjoyment. I'll stick with paying a bit more for Washington state juice.

Stay safe
OVZ

User avatar
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor
Posts: 659
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:05 pm

Re: Anybody get any good deals lately?

Post by Tummydoc » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:43 pm

Got an airstill for $25 off Craigslist. Had to replace the bimetal sensor disc under the pot ($3.23 including shipping for 5 discs on ebay). I'll just use it to distill Odin's easy gin after maceration. Less hassle than my smallest boiler (5 gallon clawhammer), and old school because Odin posted he started with an airstill!

The Baker
Master Distiller
Posts: 3157
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:48 am
Location: Northern Victoria, Australia

Re: Anybody get any good deals lately?

Post by The Baker » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:11 am

Dunno how it works; but if that bimetal disc turns the element off and on you are better without it.
Stills don't like off-and-on.

Geoff
The Baker

User avatar
Durhommer
Distiller
Posts: 1638
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:23 am

Re: Anybody get any good deals lately?

Post by Durhommer » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:05 am

2 kegs for 30 dollars. The 15.5 kegs but ones cut in half
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....

User avatar
Durhommer
Distiller
Posts: 1638
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:23 am

Re: Anybody get any good deals lately?

Post by Durhommer » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:11 pm

So one keg it in half cool no problem but a full keg was a suprising thing to wrestle in my car
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....

User avatar
cranky
Site Donor
Site Donor
Posts: 5739
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:18 pm
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: Anybody get any good deals lately?

Post by cranky » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:41 am

Oldvine Zin wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:31 pm
cranky wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:21 am
I don't know if this is a local thing or nation wide but when I loaded my weekly digital coupons to my Safeway card they have one for 64oz Signature select 100% apple juice for 99 cents (limit 3) which is a pretty good deal if you don't mind Chinese apple juice. That's only $3 for a gallon and a half and if you had 20 or so burner emails and Safeway cards to go with them you could get 30 gallons of apple juice for only $60 :ebiggrin:
Yea but still nothing I would want to ferment for own my enjoyment. I'll stick with paying a bit more for Washington state juice.

Stay safe
OVZ
Me too but some people don't have a problem with Chinese juice.

User avatar
DSmith78
Swill Maker
Posts: 403
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:33 am

Re: Anybody get any good deals lately?

Post by DSmith78 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:16 am

Got this step drill bit set for £3.99.
IMG_20200825_111355_copy_600x800.jpg
There are three types of people in this world - those who can do maths and those who cannot.

JesseMarques
Novice
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:52 pm
Location: Brasil

Re: Anybody get any good deals lately?

Post by JesseMarques » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:36 am

120kg of molasses for U$50,00, including buckets and shipping

User avatar
DSmith78
Swill Maker
Posts: 403
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:33 am

Re: Anybody get any good deals lately?

Post by DSmith78 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:18 pm

:shock:
JesseMarques wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:36 am
120kg of molasses for U$50,00, including buckets and shipping
There are three types of people in this world - those who can do maths and those who cannot.

JesseMarques
Novice
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:52 pm
Location: Brasil

Re: Anybody get any good deals lately?

Post by JesseMarques » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:36 pm

DSmith78 wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:18 pm
:shock:
JesseMarques wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:36 am
120kg of molasses for U$50,00, including buckets and shipping
Brazil, dude hehe

User avatar
NZChris
Master Distiller
Posts: 8572
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:42 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Anybody get any good deals lately?

Post by NZChris » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:29 am

A second hand 3l copper alembic at a good price.

I'm cleaning off all the sticky tape that the previous owner used to seal it for making essential oils. It should be ready for a quicky gin run tomorrow.

I bet she got bugger all oils out of a still this size.

SaltyStaves
Rumrunner
Posts: 747
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:18 pm
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Re: Anybody get any good deals lately?

Post by SaltyStaves » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:36 am

Nice score!

User avatar
NZChris
Master Distiller
Posts: 8572
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:42 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Anybody get any good deals lately?

Post by NZChris » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:42 am

It'll be ideal for running feijoa gin on the table to entertain visitors Salty :wink:

Windswept
Swill Maker
Posts: 265
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:32 pm

Re: Anybody get any good deals lately?

Post by Windswept » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:51 am

NZChris wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:42 am
It'll be ideal for running feijoa gin on the table to entertain visitors Salty :wink:
That's a great idea!
If I didn't learn the hard way, I wouldn't learn at all!

SaltyStaves
Rumrunner
Posts: 747
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:18 pm
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Re: Anybody get any good deals lately?

Post by SaltyStaves » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:41 pm

NZChris wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:42 am
It'll be ideal for running feijoa gin on the table to entertain visitors Salty :wink:
Hehe. If they manage to get their mouths around the spout, there is a small chance they might taste some Feijoa. :lolno:

User avatar
NZChris
Master Distiller
Posts: 8572
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:42 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Anybody get any good deals lately?

Post by NZChris » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:53 pm

Almost. I have made a very nice feijoa flavored gin and we had a couple of feijoa G&Ts that evening :D, but the flavor was gone 24 hours later :(

User avatar
NZChris
Master Distiller
Posts: 8572
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:42 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Anybody get any good deals lately?

Post by NZChris » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:51 pm

I've managed to remove all of the sticky from the tape that the previous owner had used to seal it.

It wasn't easy.

I'll do vinegar and sacrificial runs tomorrow to clean up anything internal that I've missed.

Windswept
Swill Maker
Posts: 265
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:32 pm

Re: Anybody get any good deals lately?

Post by Windswept » Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:09 am

Just picked up some honey! Cost me the price of the barrels!
19040430-2601-4A5D-8716-CE6888124193.jpeg
If I didn't learn the hard way, I wouldn't learn at all!

cob
Distiller
Posts: 2045
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:38 pm
Location: little puffs of dust where my feet used to be

Re: Anybody get any good deals lately?

Post by cob » Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:18 pm

I got a triple scale hydrometer at the goodwill store for $1.99. but it committed

suicide in the back seat with a half gallon of milk before we made it home :wtf:
be water my friend

Post Reply