Anybody get any good deals lately?

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bushman
Admin

Re: Anybody get any good deals lately?

Post by Bushman »

What a bummer cob, I would have been so disappointed.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

bushman I said a few words over it as I was tipping it into the trash. the question that remains is

was it to much pressure to join my 4 original hydrometers in their drill box case and pool noodle

covers. I've never broken one, and this one didn't even make it to my front door. So does this count

against my unbroken record? :econfused:
be water my friend
seabass
Rumrunner

Post by seabass »

Didn't make it inside. Doesn't count.
DSmith78
Swill Maker

Post by DSmith78 »

Picked up a full 15kg butane bottle for £30.
There are three types of people in this world - those who can do maths and those who cannot.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Loaded up on Roses Lime Juice as it was two dollars off per bottle in my store. My wife loves her gin gimlets.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

A neighbor and good friend gifted me close to 90 LBS of ripe plums, he said that it was from the low branch that broke and was almost touching the ground. He also stated that there was at least 5 times that on the upper branches and could be mine if I wanted them -- hell yea!!
Free plums.JPG
Stay safe
OVZ
Acrylic
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Acrylic »

That is a beautiful sight oldvine :D
Good judgement comes from experience... And experience? Well, that comes from poor judgement
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

I was gifted a #50 sack of organic malted barley today. Just need to drive 25 miles each way to pick it up. He'll even run it through his mill for me while I drink his beer. I guess that's a pretty good deal.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Tabucowboy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tabucowboy »

I would be in the car already.
CM Reflux Still -- Copper mesh 16" ,column 31" tall, dia. 2",temp at boiler,top of column, power - PAC w5500w Element
Pot Still -- Copper mesh 16",column, 23" tall dia. 2", temp at boiler, power - PAC w5500w Element
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Deplorable wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:39 pm I was gifted a #50 sack of organic malted barley today. Just need to drive 25 miles each way to pick it up. He'll even run it through his mill for me while I drink his beer. I guess that's a pretty good deal.
we are doing good in the pnw

stay safe
ovz
seabass
Rumrunner

Post by seabass »

Deplorable wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:39 pm I was gifted a #50 sack of organic malted barley today. Just need to drive 25 miles each way to pick it up. He'll even run it through his mill for me while I drink his beer. I guess that's a pretty good deal.
Nice! I'm rarely gifted sacks of grain, but I get my pick of local malts at cost and I get free beer when I pick it up.

I'll be picking up some mecca grade Vienna style malted rye in a few days for a 100% rye whiskey.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Oldvine Zin wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:17 pm A neighbor and good friend gifted me close to 90 LBS of ripe plums, he said that it was from the low branch that broke and was almost touching the ground. He also stated that there was at least 5 times that on the upper branches and could be mine if I wanted them -- hell yea!!Free plums.JPG

Stay safe
OVZ
Hell yea! I'd be jumping at that offer!
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Well, my gifted 50# of Barley wasn't malted. Its Breiss roasted 2 row. Not sure what to do with it now...
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
seabass
Rumrunner

Post by seabass »

Time to make a shit ton of stout!
DSmith78
Swill Maker

Post by DSmith78 »

Picked up a 2000w angle grinder for £34.99 and a paint stirrer for £2.99.
There are three types of people in this world - those who can do maths and those who cannot.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

seabass wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:35 am Time to make a shit ton of stout!
Right? I sent an IM to a friend that owns a local micro brewery. Im going to see if he has any interst in it as even a partial trade for a bag of malted barley.
Otherwise, yeah, a hell of a lot of stout.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Today I stopped at a garage sale and got this old decanter for a dollar :ebiggrin:
[/attachment]
DECANTER 11 AUG 20 #1A - C.jpg
It's actually really nice, the neck is cut and the lower part is etched.
DECANTER 11 AUG 20 #3A - C.jpg
That pink/purple tinge it seems to have is likely due to the smoke in the air from the wildfires right now but I will check again when we don't have so much smoke. If glass turns that color from sunlight exposure it's usually an indication that it is not lead crystal but I find that unlikely given it is cut but you never know. I will also have to see about checking it with a black light but I currently don't have one.

I also got 100#s of apples for free today
APPLES 11 AUG 20 #2A.jpg
But that is nothing new :roll:
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

For a while I was collecting decanters, now they just sit inside glass cases. Still love them but am too lazy to pull them out and use them.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

nice looking jug cranky. and for a whole dollar :thumbup:

It's amazing you are able to get a picture at all with all this smoke. :crazy:

visibility is less than 3 blocks here now. :wtf:
be water my friend
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Bushman wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:13 pm For a while I was collecting decanters, now they just sit inside glass cases. Still love them but am too lazy to pull them out and use them.
I'm the same, I'd like to use them but would have to sort the lead from the non-lead and just haven't. My wife has been wanting me to thin down the collection which makes sense but I can't choose which to keep and which to sell.
cob wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:17 pm nice looking jug cranky. and for a whole dollar :thumbup:
Thank you. I actually wasn't going to buy it, I was just looking around but I always pick up stuff like that and look for marks out of habit and when I picked it up the lady there said "a dollar" without me even asking, I had my quick draw wallet out almost instantly.

Since I had $6 cash I also asked about a big wooden dough bowl they had which she sold me for $4. Mrs, Cranky likes big wooden dough bowls and this is the 2nd one I have found cheap at a garage sale.
cob wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:17 pm It's amazing you are able to get a picture at all with all this smoke. :crazy:

visibility is less than 3 blocks here now. :wtf:
Ours isn't nearly that bad but I did manage to take this picture this afternoon that kind of shows how thick it is.
SMOKE 11 SEP 20 #3A - C.jpg
The sun wasn't nearly as bright as it looks in this picture but just the fact that I could take a picture of the sun with no filter is really something.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

I didn't get to see the sun today, no joke.

back on topic I picked up a 2.5 qt. cast iron dutch oven Monday for $5 new never used.

it's porcelain and I prefer naked cast iron but I will use it and have other

porcelains and more cast iron than any one horse can carry.
be water my friend
Mash master
Novice

Post by Mash master »

I got this for £26! 200L brand new, so good I’ve ordered another 👍
F9D0730C-796C-4E88-A32E-52D842CA760D.jpeg
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

We also have an antique dough bowl we picked up in Texas. I get free wood from the WDOT so I just finished carving my own dough bowl.
D5C8EC3C-6DF7-49C9-8341-1BE31731CC68.jpeg
DSmith78
Swill Maker

Post by DSmith78 »

Mash master wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:02 pm I got this for £26! 200L brand new, so good I’ve ordered another 👍

F9D0730C-796C-4E88-A32E-52D842CA760D.jpeg
Whoa!
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

cob wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:17 pm I didn't get to see the sun today, no joke.
Today the sun didn't show here either :( visibility was also down to less than half a mile due to all the smoke.
cob wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:17 pm back on topic I picked up a 2.5 qt. cast iron dutch oven Monday for $5 new never used.

it's porcelain and I prefer naked cast iron but I will use it and have other

porcelains and more cast iron than any one horse can carry.
Nice. I like cast iron but my wife doesn't like how heavy it is so currently we only have the one vintage chicken fryer that I use constantly.
Mash master wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:02 pm I got this for £26! 200L brand new, so good I’ve ordered another
That's a nice deal, I could use a couple of those myself :thumbup:
Bushman wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:29 am We also have an antique dough bowl we picked up in Texas. I get free wood from the WDOT so I just finished carving my own dough bowl.
Wow, nice work Bushman my wife would really like some of those...but then I'd have to find a place to put them :roll:
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Bushman wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:29 am We also have an antique dough bowl we picked up in Texas. I get free wood from the WDOT so I just finished carving my own dough bowl.
Wow that's beautiful

Stay safe
OVZ
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

D5C8EC3C-6DF7-49C9-8341-1BE31731CC68.jpeg
You are a man of many talents!
Awesome woodwork, beautiful bowl!
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I am just south of you and I do know the Canadian anthem as we had to sing it every Thursday at our Kiwanis meetings as our clubs district included lower BC so we had exchanges often.
seabass
Rumrunner

Post by seabass »

It'll be nice when I can go outside again. This smoke is worse than the usual seasonal depression from the endless drizzle. It's like 70F out and I can't go for a damned hike.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Bushman wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:32 pm I am just south of you and I do know the Canadian anthem as we had to sing it every Thursday at our Kiwanis meetings as our clubs district included lower BC so we had exchanges often.
Think you posted this in the wrong thread bushy. :?