Feeling happy :)

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Husker
retired

Feeling happy :)

Post by Husker »

Been out sampling today. One of the local distilleries (one of OUR members BoHunk), had his Coopers Chase vodka on sample at one of the local groceries. Needless to say, I am feeling mighty fine, lol :)

He wants to use my alembic still as a center piece on his display table at an upcoming distillery conference in town. Scored myself a ticket to that conf, so will try to rub some elbows with some of the distillery folk from around the US. Last year, he had Fred Noe, from jim beam at the table next to him. Quite nice company, if I do say so. Should be a good day of sampling 12 year old bourbon, eating some nice chow, and rubbing elbows with the 'real' distillers. I have done it before, and really enjoy doing it. I just say I have my own self run distillery, and forget to mention the name, when chatting with folk like this, lol.

Well, I was pretty impressed with Bohunk's stuff. It placed 4th in the country recently in NYC, when they tested 80 domestic Vodka's. I read the review there, and I tasted pretty much exactly how it was described in the review. I nice vodka, which Bohunk kept filling up my sample glass with (I did not complain, lol). He gave me a defective cup anyway. It had a big damn hole in it, and the vodka kept running out of it. But he was nice, and kept filling it up, even though it kept running out that big hole.

H.
Hillbilly Rebel: Unless you are one of the people on this site who are legalling distilling, keep a low profile, don't tell, don't sell.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Re: Feeling happy :)

Post by LWTCS »

Oh yeah,,,,,,that sounds like a big ole time......Nice.

Good for you. :thumbup:

And don't forget tah mind yer manners :moresarcasm:
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

LWTCS wrote:And don't forget tah mind yer manners :moresarcasm:
I can do 'anything', as long as I know it will only be for a short amount of time. I do know what manners are, so for a few hours, even I can fake it.
Hillbilly Rebel: Unless you are one of the people on this site who are legalling distilling, keep a low profile, don't tell, don't sell.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

a well deserved break after pouring sweat over a broken web site. :clap: cob
be water my friend
banter_king
Swill Maker

Post by banter_king »

sounds fantastic. I can't say that im not jealous.
Knee deep in the cool and soothing waters of ol' Cripple Creek
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Nice post, Husker... Glad to hear that BoHunk is scoring well with his Vodka... I truly believe that a fair number of members are capable of producing competition grade spirits... It is unfortunate, however, that those spirits can only be enjoyed in the shadows of society - for now...
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

Only for now, things are a changing.

It's good to know that some of our fraternity are cranking out award wining booze. I'm going to have to get a bottle of his stuff for my collection.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

Good on BoHunk for branching out. Just goes to show that our members can do the legal side correctly.
Big + for HD and its members...

At least you wont wake up with a hangover H... :lol:

Wonder if he's ship a bottle over to me..?
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

Beginners should visit The New Distillers Reading Lounge and the Safety and Related Issues among others...
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I love reading these posts as I enjoy visiting the small micro-distilleries with thoughts still in the back of my mind.... This leads me to a question for our members. I am leaving the end of August for two months in Europe travelling. I would like suggestions on any distilleries I should try to take in along the way. The countries I will be visiting are: Norway (3 weeks will be with relatives), Turkey (will be flying to different parts, 2 weeks), Germany (from Frankfurt through the Bavarian parts of the country 2 weeks and will have a car), and Iceland (about a week).
Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

Pity your not scheduled for a stop in Scotland Bushman. I could have recommended at least 5 I've been to. But the best one has to be the Ben Nevis Distillery in Fort William... :thumbup:

We could even have met up, oh well, next time maybe... :(
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

Beginners should visit The New Distillers Reading Lounge and the Safety and Related Issues among others...
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Sounds like a lot of fun. Maybe one of these days I will get to rub elbows with someone who is in the business. Not likely but I can dream can't I.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
MuleKicker
retired

Post by MuleKicker »

I have had a bottle of bohunks vodka. It is very good stuff. Have to say, his UJSM is pretty damn good too. :wink:
-Control Freak-
AKA MulekickerHDbrownNose
WalkingWolf
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by WalkingWolf »

Nice to here ya went out and had a grand time Husker. Great to here someone from the board is out on a successful venture.
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

MuleKicker wrote:I have had a bottle of bohunks vodka. It is very good stuff. Have to say, his UJSM is pretty damn good too. :wink:
He said u had a couple bottles, and were not disappointed. Neither was I. I thought it was a damn fine vodka. Far from a tasteless 'neutral', it was a fine full bodied vodka, a little sweet, a little peppery, but all in all, a very nice full mouthful vodka.

I have also had some of his UJSM last year at the 'pre-opening' tour of another local distillery. It was damn fine. Better than what the other micro distillery that were in this tour had brought along, and much better than the hosting distillery.

I really hope he can make a good go of it. He is living the gypsy life each weekend. Hauling his product around to local liquor stores / groceries, etc. I really hope the fires lite up, and he has so much biz, that there are problems keeping up. That is a good problem to have.

H.
Bohunk
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Bohunk »

Oh - golly jee ( my face is turning red) We have all come a long way in the last eight ten years, I’ll bet every one of us is making better booze today than way back then. I got so many tips from this site, would never be able to count how much help you all have been over the years, bless you all for your support and help. Opening a legal joint is probably the dream of everybody, but let me tell you folks they are closing down a record pace. Going up against the big names is very tough, they can out advertise you all day long. You can make a product much better, but their name is still on everyone’s mind, and it takes some doing to change that. Husker, thanks for your kind words, you are, and have been a big help to me. Mulekicker, I bless you each and every time I use my 240 volt controller. Keep on shining guys, some times I think it was better when I did.

The Bohunk
Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

Great footsteps for the beginner to follow Bohunk... :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

MuleKicker
retired

Post by MuleKicker »

Ya know, running around giving samples of product is great. The problem is most folks dont know what the hell there tasting. You could give them a shot of beam and they would say that tastes great. All they look at is the name, and that is sad. You are fighting a uphill battle bohunk, and I hope you win. You ought to. The big name labels got this country so brainwashed into what good taste is. The general public has no idea what good booze really is.
-Control Freak-
bentstick
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bentstick »

As a beginner I read this post and only hope one day to have someone the caliber of guys such as yourselves to be able to tell me that is a fine yaduh yaduh you made there, but for now the wife, brother, and parents seem to enjoy and say it is getting better. Have not had any hiccups that I could not figure out by reading but I am still at a crawl here. I think it is great some of the members are going legit off the site, but damn it must take some hardcore fortitude to deal with all the bs to get licensed and such. I raise a toast to you good luck and prosper. Just hope as the small distiller is able to make a product that rivals the big company, word will get out and the public will see small distillers mean business and support ya fellers. I know I do when I find yas. THANK YOU
It is what you make it
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

Hey Bohunk, I wish you the very best with your project. The only way to beat those big boys is by pounding the pavement and building your brand from the boots up. It's kinda like how those Indy rock bands started. Little venues, small fan base. They built their base to the point where the mainstream couldn't ignore them anymore and then everybody else caught up. Unless you have scads of money, it's the only way. Sounds like that's what yer doing. Again, good luck.
I do all my own stunts
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Samohon wrote:Pity your not scheduled for a stop in Scotland Bushman. I could have recommended at least 5 I've been to. But the best one has to be the Ben Nevis Distillery in Fort William... :thumbup:

We could even have met up, oh well, next time maybe... :(
I would love to visit the distilleries in Scotland, my fishing partner only drank Bushmill until he had some of my off scotch (with my blends it really tastes more like a single malt whiskey. He doesn't like scotch but loved mine and said it was the best drink he ever had. So I had to stop calling it scotch and I made him proud by calling it by his first name "Jacks Irish Whiskey". It is the drink of choice on our boating trip.

Getting back to this thread, I would love to try some of your vodka Bohunk, as I tasted the vodka from Dry Fly Distillery that was ranked number one it would be great to do a comparison as I have some here at home. I'm sure yours is great!
Bohunk
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Bohunk »

I’ll share some things that I have learned over the past three or four years. First I vowed never to borrow money, I put up the start up cash out of my pocket, this may limit my growth, but not owing anyone, I can never get shut down because of debt. Second, I wanted to hold down the retail price of the product, this is two fold, give the customer a good product at a good price, and with a low price more folks would buy from me. Here in my state, we have a three-tiered system, distiller sells to a distributor, he sells to a retailer, who in turn sells to the customer. I have no control of the price after it leaves my place. Now, the distributor has as many as 500 items in his portfolio, so when he walks into a store, he may not even remember to mention my product. The store manager makes his money on a percentage of mark up, so he wants to sell the highest priced bottle, he cares not what is in the bottle, just the profit he is making. So, how to compete? Every one has good advise, but I’m trying to reach as many end users as I can. Over the past two years, I and my wife work the big stores, pouring samples, and spreading our story. It’s slow and painful, but when you can’t make a million dollar advertising campaign, it’s all that is left. When I started this venture I was sure by now I would be sitting pretty, but I’m still struggling along. Like I have said before, every one who starts out, I wish the best of luck, and would help with advise, but it’s a tough road, baby.

The Bohunk
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Bohunk wrote:I’ll share some things that I have learned over the past three or four years. First I vowed never to borrow money, I put up the start up cash out of my pocket, this may limit my growth, but not owing anyone, I can never get shut down because of debt. Second, I wanted to hold down the retail price of the product, this is two fold, give the customer a good product at a good price, and with a low price more folks would buy from me. Here in my state, we have a three-tiered system, distiller sells to a distributor, he sells to a retailer, who in turn sells to the customer. I have no control of the price after it leaves my place. Now, the distributor has as many as 500 items in his portfolio, so when he walks into a store, he may not even remember to mention my product. The store manager makes his money on a percentage of mark up, so he wants to sell the highest priced bottle, he cares not what is in the bottle, just the profit he is making. So, how to compete? Every one has good advise, but I’m trying to reach as many end users as I can. Over the past two years, I and my wife work the big stores, pouring samples, and spreading our story. It’s slow and painful, but when you can’t make a million dollar advertising campaign, it’s all that is left. When I started this venture I was sure by now I would be sitting pretty, but I’m still struggling along. Like I have said before, every one who starts out, I wish the best of luck, and would help with advise, but it’s a tough road, baby.

The Bohunk
Thanks for the info Bohunk, in my state pricing is all regulated by the State Liquor Board and if you don't sell directly from your distillery (limited on how much you can sell from your distillery) it is sold through the State Liquor Stores. We are close to changing the laws hence we do have more micro distilleries here in Washington. My question for you is in training. Did you do any formal training say at a school or distillery or ae you self taught? Also the business end, how did you prepare to start up this adventure. Sounds like it has been a tough go but you are doing everything right I only hope the best for you!
MuleKicker
retired

Post by MuleKicker »

One thing I would say ( it took me a while to learn, and am still figgering it out) Dont sell yourself short either. You have a good product. People may also overlook it because it is priced cheap. You know " its only $xxx, it cant be good. If it is good, people will recognize the value.
-Control Freak-
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

Ok so where can I buy a bottle? Are there any online outlets?
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
Bohunk
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Bohunk »

Bushman, I got my learnin in the shed, and reading home distiller. It took me a while to get good at it but the end results are worth it. I have no online sales rubber duck, I did send a bottle to mule kicker once. Took it down to UPS, had it pack real good so that you couldn’t hear the liquid, when they asked what was in the box I said “clothing”. Next day I got a call from UPS “there is liquor in that box”, damm how did that get in there?? Anyway it was real embarrassing to go down there and pick up the box. I finally went to another town and got it sent from there, but I don’t want to send any more.

The Bohunk
MuleKicker
retired

Post by MuleKicker »

Bohunk wrote:Anyway it was real embarrassing to go down there and pick up the box.
The Bohunk
I could think of having a lot worse things in the box to explain........ :shock:
-Control Freak-
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

MuleKicker wrote:
Bohunk wrote:Anyway it was real embarrassing to go down there and pick up the box.
The Bohunk
I could think of having a lot worse things in the box to explain........ :shock:
Yeah like Ducks ostrige........

Bohunk, can you talk about tasting room exceptions within your states statutes?
wildrover
Swill Maker

Post by wildrover »

I have a few tips, but you can decide how much it's worth :-)

From what I've seen online with this review (http://www.spiritsreview.com/reviews-vodka-chase.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow) the price was mentioned as $15.95. Now there is keeping prices low, and then there's misrepresenting what quality you're giving people. I would shoot for the $25/750ml price range. I know you don't control the end price with the three tier system, but you do have a bit of control with what your starting price is.
You are hand crafting a kick butt premium vodka (haven't tasted it, just from the reputation you've developed and what I've read) and by selling for $25 you ARE cutting your customers a deal, and the price of $25 says you're on the affordable end of the premium market. I think all hand crafted spirits meet the definition of premium.

Second of all, you do have a nice label. I hadn't zoomed in on it much before but this morning I was looking at the nice nod to Nebraska and such, but it still looks like 1 notch above a well done home made label, and maybe because of the bottle. I would have a designer and marketer look at the label and see how to take it to the next level. People are so frickin fickle, even ones that don't admit it. So you have a good start in making people proud of Nebraska made products, but there needs to be just a little more. Whether a distinct bottle, whether a little booklet tied around the neck telling your story, something a little more. You can spiff up the image of the bottle and label without looking ridiculous like these "clubbing" vodkas try to do.

Anyways, another perspective from someone that is trying to start a distillery, but doesn't have the experience yet you do.

-Wildrover
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Yeah,,,,really good review. And no BS fluffy discriptors either.
gotta find some.
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

I can auction off a post tax bottle, proceeds going to the site, if there is enough interest. I have no problems mailing liquor. Once tax is paid on it, the govt does not care either (as long as it is not going to some 15 yr old)

For another review: http://www.thefiftybest.com/spirits/domestic_vodka/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow