How mad was your SOH when you bought/built your first still

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Pesty
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: How mad was your wife when you bought/built your first s

Post by Pesty »

Truckinbutch wrote:
Pesty wrote:This thread is ripe with victims of the “happy wife happy life” mentality..

She DGAF what I do for hobbies so long as they don’t include her and they keep me outa the house.
I feel sorry for you with that kind of relationship . I married my best friend and she was happy when I embarked on a hobby that kept me from hitting the local pubs at 'happy hour' every day .
Many $ that would have gone through their cash registers have been redirected to our enjoyment and a couple of pretty damned nice parties for some special friends here .
Guess that marrying your best friend is the critical ingredient .
Feel sorry.. go ahead. We been together 19 years now and life is better than an 18 yr old single malt. We let each other do their own thing for hobbies as we realize our own time is a just as important as our time.
Soft batch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Soft batch »

At first my wife freaked out - because after the first trip to the brew store (buying all legit, easily explainable stuff - bottles, fermenting bucket, airlock, etc.) we weren't a 1/2 mile away and the bank called for suspicious activity on the CC. She became paranoid - making me pay cash for anything that could be remotely construed as distilling equipment (not a bad idea).
Many years later, she's all in - as long as I keep her supplied in "Quilting Juice" (She is a quilter), all is good.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

The ex wife and I hadn't spoken for five years.. It was a bitter divorce and we both deserved it for different reasons. A series of events led her into my basement one evening where I also make wine and I happened to be doing my first sac run with a couple boxes of cheap box wine... long story short - we ended up making out and drinking wine all night ha ha! I've been running and re-running some feints over and over through the pot still for some wodka she likes and got tired of that so I just ordered parts for the CCVM to run neutrals and got a small alembic on the way too for gins and other infusions.... That was six seven months ago and we've been inseparable since. wtf?
/over
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Couldn’t say, I guess I never asked her.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

jonnys_spirit wrote:The ex wife and I hadn't spoken for five years.. It was a bitter divorce and we both deserved it for different reasons. A series of events led her into my basement one evening where I also make wine and I happened to be doing my first sac run with a couple boxes of cheap box wine... long story short - we ended up making out and drinking wine all night ha ha! I've been running and re-running some feints over and over through the pot still for some wodka she likes and got tired of that so I just ordered parts for the CCVM to run neutrals and got a small alembic on the way too for gins and other infusions.... That was six seven months ago and we've been inseparable since. wtf?
/over
-j
Alright, this one wins the thread.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

raketemensch wrote:
jonnys_spirit wrote:The ex wife and I hadn't spoken for five years.. It was a bitter divorce and we both deserved it for different reasons. A series of events led her into my basement one evening where I also make wine and I happened to be doing my first sac run with a couple boxes of cheap box wine... long story short - we ended up making out and drinking wine all night ha ha! I've been running and re-running some feints over and over through the pot still for some wodka she likes and got tired of that so I just ordered parts for the CCVM to run neutrals and got a small alembic on the way too for gins and other infusions.... That was six seven months ago and we've been inseparable since. wtf?
/over
-j

Tried to put in a picture of a big bunch of flowers but it didn't work. So you will just have to imagine it.

Geoff
The Baker
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

She was not mad at all because it was after we discovered her mother had a still!
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
opinions are free and everybody has them, experience costs you time
jog666
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jog666 »

Given Im still in the planning stages, when I told my wife what I was going to do, she had that same look as if Im buying another gun or truck. Overall its not an issue. Neither of us mess ith the others hobbies & I dont spend so much to worry about the bills. She did have some concerns about the legal side of it but I think that was mostly from over hearing the moonshiners tv show. Which I CLEARLY told her was a tv show.
zed255
Distiller

Post by zed255 »

My wife was skeptical, but she generally doesn't stand in the way of things I want to do, so she was pretty tolerant.

Once she actually got to see the rig come together and watch me learn the process she became more interested. Now she regularly participates in preparing to ferment a wash and assists with a run. She doesn't feel comfortable setting things up but is happy to take a shift minding it during a run.

She has taking a liking to the product, so I'm sure that helps!
----------
Zed

When the Student is ready, the Master will appear.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

raketemensch wrote:
/over
-j
Thank you ! :) - we're takin it low and slow one 200ml jar at a time, sippin not slurpin...

I am however attempting to be sneaky with a couple bottles of 80 proof panty dropper...

Cheers!
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
DBob
Novice

Post by DBob »

After 40 years of marriage, it's "meh" another hobby.

DB
Never ask what else can go wrong......because it usually will.
moonmom
Site Donor
Site Donor

How mad was your man when you started stilling?

Post by moonmom »

I just read through the top of "How mad was your wife when you decided..."?
So, I decided to find out about the other side.
My husband is use to me delving head first into new projects all the time.
However, I do think this one took him by surprise, because I often complain about his love of vodka.
Personally, I do not like vodka, but I love shine and whiskey.

My husband is supportive with all my purchases, but when I create a awesome run...he doesn't have anything nice to say except, "it's too hot", "I don't see how anyone can drink that crap"! And then, I find it missing! Is it a form of jealousy? Maybe I need a man to help me with that one?!
I do know that what I've been cooking is good, because I have honest feedback from men and women that I trust.
They know me and they know that's how I am, honesty all the way.

Any input on why my husband thinks my recipes are crap, but then drinks it behind my back would be appreciated.
I do think I know why, but validation is sometimes a nice thing to have.

Thanks for taking the time to respond,
MoonMom
The Baldwin Sisters made me do it!
http://www.the-waltons.com/baldsty.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2616
https://homedistiller.org/wiki/index.ph ... ash_Method" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Re: How mad was your man when you started stilling?

Post by StillerBoy »

Congratulation on your endeavor as a stiller, nice to see a lady in the hobby..

As to your husband.. make good shine and just don't let him have any for a while, and see his reaction..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

He obviously is suffering from Wife's Hobby Is Perfectly Phenomenally Enjoyable Disorder -or W.H.I.P.P.E.D.
Sufferers don't want to admit their spouse's hobby is better than theirs, often disposing of said spouse's hobby's products.
Once W.H.I.P.P.E.D. sets in, it's incurable.
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Control freak asshole that always wants credit but can't give it where due because of hidden insecurities stemming from some form of sexual repression possibly exacerbated by a drinking problem. Just kidding.
I just made all that up. I'm a shiner not a psychiatrist. Can't help with relationship problems.
But as a shiner with a teenager I can help you out with him swiping your liquor.
Leave a few jars of heads around for him to drink. Hide the good shit. Pretend to sip out of the jar of heads and tell him how good it is then put it up. Teach him the hard way what hot really means and the hangover that goes with it too.
Pineapple juice and chunks and sugar covers the smell and some of the taste but leaves all the burn and hangover.
Personally,I'd be delighted to be with a woman who can run a still , that would be fun.
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

yup. i'm going with morbid alcoholic. sez it's hot so you'll keep trying harder to prove him wrong...all the while slurping up your (not) mistakes.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

Maybe he's having trouble admitting that you're making good booze for some reason?

We need more women in the hobby.
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

Start hiding the hearts and only leave out the heads and tails for him to test :D I guess not having a man around to criticize my work is a good thing,but if you have good results and everyone else likes your product don't worry and keep doing what you are doing. Remember you are doing what most consider a man's hobby, some guys just can't handle that.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Remember you are doing what most consider a man's hobby, some guys just can't handle that.
Sad, I thought we had come a long way but this last year has really proven me wrong. Please don't make this comment into a political statement.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Why? Why ask why? Hide your good stuff until it’s appreciated.
corene1 wrote:...don't worry and keep doing what you are doing.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
moonmom
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moonmom »

Never thought of hiding the good stuff and offering up the tails! I need to seriously find a good hiding spot.
I appreciate the male perspective very much. I do believe your insight helps me understand my husbands demeanor. You have all been very kind and helpful.
I was just wondering if it is just me, or if this was common behavior.
I am very fortunate that I'm not an alcoholic. I can take it or leave it. Perhaps I'm creating a temptation?
Here nor there, it's all good and no one is unhappy. I have been perplexed so thought I would ask since men have done the same in regard to their wives.

This is not a man vs woman question. We are all in this imperfect world together. We are on the same team!

Happy Philly won the Super Bowl,
MoonMom
http://www.the-waltons.com/baldsty.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

https://homedistiller.org/wiki/index.ph ... ash_Method" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

moonmom wrote:Never thought of hiding the good stuff and offering up the tails! I need to seriously find a good hiding spot.
I appreciate the male perspective very much. I do believe your insight helps me understand my husbands demeanor. You have all been very kind and helpful.
I was just wondering if it is just me, or if this was common behavior.
I am very fortunate that I'm not an alcoholic. I can take it or leave it. Perhaps I'm creating a temptation?
Here nor there, it's all good and no one is unhappy. I have been perplexed so thought I would ask since men have done the same in regard to their wives.

This is not a man vs woman question. We are all in this imperfect world together. We are on the same team!

Happy Philly won the Super Bowl,
MoonMom
Sounds like he's a little jealous you've found an awesome hobby your good at. Wish my wife had an interest in it. We don't share a hobby, our quality time is a date night or a movie on the couch, which is fine by me. But id love for her to be involved in distilling with me.
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Curious if he thinks the same way about your cooking? I'm thinking that's it's more of a macho thing :)

OVZ
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

moonmom wrote:I just read through the top of "How mad was your wife when you decided..."?
So, I decided to find out about the other side.
My husband is use to me delving head first into new projects all the time.
However, I do think this one took him by surprise, because I often complain about his love of vodka.
Personally, I do not like vodka, but I love shine and whiskey.
Any input on why my husband thinks my recipes are crap, but then drinks it behind my back would be appreciated.
I do think I know why, but validation is sometimes a nice thing to have.
Thanks for taking the time to respond,
MoonMom
Hi Moon!
LMAO. I'm sitting here watching "That Show" and at this moment, Chico is raising hell with his wife because she was telling him to slow down in the truck.
Instead he knew what he was doing and their still cover went flying off the trailer. And it's her fault.
I would NOT make a guess about your husband. After 28 years of marriage (THIS time) there are WAY too many factors involved to make a guess.
However, when you say "love of vodka", bells & whistles go off from alcoholic friends and family members. I hope that's not the case.
FWIW my wife didn't raise hell, she just gave me that "you dumbass" look & left me to my hobby. Occasionally I'll turn on recorded episodes of "that show" when I come to bed and she pays a bit of attention.
Don't make it a big deal and his curiosity will get the better of him.

Best of luck!
Attachments
smoke em.gif
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

There are some people who hardly ever have praise for anything, If I painted the house, my ex would find the one place I had touched a light switch and point it out. It can be very wearing - is he one of those ?

I don't know how much things have changed nowadays but traditionally, "Northern men" (Lancashire is "northern") in Uk were vey much "The man of the house" and it's possible he could be having some inner conflict along those lines.

On the other hand he might be the only one actually telling you the truth - it is possible your mates are just being kind ?

I suggest you don't try to "punish him" - perhaps explain that "hot" is likely to mean too much heads and get him involved in the "cuts stage" as in tasting each jar and helping to decide which are "keepers" and which go back in the pot to be cooked again. So if you ask for his help to improve it, you may find he is more than willing to get involved alongside you.

Do you thiink that could work ?
Samyguy
Bootlegger

Post by Samyguy »

Good Post
moonmom
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moonmom »

OldVine Zin,

Ha! I can honestly say, my husband loves my cooking. In fact, I'm an amazing cook, thus one of my reasons for venturing down the distill path.
Thanks for the question!

MoonMom

Cu29er
Bootlegger

Post by Cu29er »

Haha. Good turn on the project.

If it's 'too hot' then a few ice cubes or a bit of water will knock the heat down and so it disappears. You've got a typical drinker telling you some market insight. Get more consistent with proofing and aim for the heat people find in store-bought.

History of beer making is that women made all the beer in the beginning -- and I suspect at least a team effort when the first distillation processes were tested out.

Get your husband to help out and make a double or triple run for vodka to match what he likes. Aim for a blind taste test of his regular vodka and then for what brand he aspires to. You'll quickly have a fan.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

everyone has a different palate. DW (DaWife) hasn't got much of a sniffer (or she is very polite when off odours suddenly appear) but she has a great palate.
If she like the hootch, everyone like the hootch. Iff she turns her nose up that means pour it back into the feints jar and try for some vodka later.
me, i'm easy. if it's got likker in it generally ima like it.
needless to say she important on cuts day.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sltm1 »

Sounds like jealousy to me, plain and simple and not attractive on a man or a woman.
A Paraphrase of a Joe Walsh Album Title, "The Drinkier I get, The Smokier I Play!!"
Every new member should read this before doing anything else: