How mad was your SOH when you bought/built your first still

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

E85andtonic
Site Donor
Site Donor

How mad was your SOH when you bought/built your first still

Post by E85andtonic »

Anyone else had an issue with their better half getting mad about your first still? After the cold shoulder and silent treatment (lasted 10 days) my wife said she would feel better if I had bought a motorcycle instead of a still because they are a lot safer. I should have taken advantage of that... I've always wanted a motorcycle. Anyway, we are past all that now, but it was a tough couple a days. I'm thinking the ultimate revenge will be making a likker so good she asks me to make more.

What's your story?
Stay tuned... I'll post something clever in my signature at any moment.
Samohon
retired

Re: How mad was your wife when you bought/built your first s

Post by Samohon »

Mrs Sam is Ukrainian, when she heard I was making vodka better than shop bought she lent a hand...

She has now graduated to the stillers apprentice, great to have her onboard...

Keep her supplied with her favourite tipple and you'll be good to go.. :thumbup:
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

Beginners should visit The New Distillers Reading Lounge and the Safety and Related Issues among others...
Washashore
Distiller

Post by Washashore »

I wear the pants in the relationship (but she tells me which ones :cry: )
"It's hard to argue with the government. Remember, they run the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, so they must know a thing or two about satisfying women." --- Scott Adams
Large Sarge
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Large Sarge »

Had a little griping till I got her tanked up.
If you look like food, don't be surprised when you get eaten.
RumBrewer
Rumrunner

Post by RumBrewer »

Freaken PISSED! Cause I used her pressure cooker.
But then I bought her a shiny new one, and she just gets a little irritated when I leave things in the kitchen.
Everything I do or say may or may not have really happened... or it may or may not be all bull shit!
Turning money into steam and likker 10 gallons at a time!
I just want Uncle Sam to be more like Uncle Jessy!
USACelt
Bootlegger

Post by USACelt »

well she was skeptical at first but in view of other "hobbies"(usally involving big $$$$)I had in the past she payed never mind to this.
That is till it got cold and I tried to still in the house. That's a NO GO here guys!!
But she really likes the vodka I make and will let Me still IF I can hide it from her. :clap:
I'm fine with that.
Ní uasal aon uasal ach sinne bheith íseal: Éirímis.(Séamas Ó Lorcáin)

The great appear great because we are on our knees: Let us rise.(Big Jim Larkin)
bentstick
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bentstick »

A little skeptical at first, with you are f£€king nuts following. But now its do you need more sugar, yeast, and when is that there going to be ready? Or what ya trying next? Its all good now.
It is what you make it
Texas Jim
Swill Maker

Post by Texas Jim »

My wife is trying to get me to retire out to our land and still full time. She even asked how much I'd need to go legal.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

It's like fishin, if I catch it, clean it, and cook it no problems.
Titus-a-fishus
Swill Maker

Post by Titus-a-fishus »

My Missus is happy enough so long as I don't spend every weekend stillin.
Keeps me at home and busy :D :D

TAF :D
We haven't got the money so now we have to think
Build it, don't buy it
jus teasin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jus teasin »

I told my wife 40 yrs ago I was going to build a still. So she had lots of time to get used to the idea. But there is no way she will let me cook in the house.

JT
lrandall000
Novice

Post by lrandall000 »

What wife?
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

I got my own cave :mrgreen:
I do all my own stunts
johnny108
Bootlegger

Post by johnny108 »

I simply told my wife she can choose which of my hobbies I can keep: Either distilling, or explosives.....
No fight, except when I use all the counter space, and she wants to cook.
just-a-sip
Rumrunner

Post by just-a-sip »

wellllllll... im kind of a jerk (admittedly) and i definitely run the household, so when she said she didn't like the idea, i just turned the cold shoulder and did it anyway. When she said she didn't like it in the house, i found her some fun stuff to go do outside for most of the day. She really didn't like me saying i was building a flute, so i ordered all the material and the build starts in the next short period. hmmmm now that you mention it im surprised im still married after all these years. Ah well...
Just-A-Sip
rgarry
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgarry »

She wasn't happy at first but as time went on and my skills improved, she has changed. For christmas, she bought me a flute. She either wants me to produce more products or wants me to go to the pen.
Washashore
Distiller

Post by Washashore »

rgarry wrote:She wasn't happy at first but as time went on and my skills improved, she has changed. For christmas, she bought me a flute. She either wants me to produce more products or wants me to go to the pen.
You lucky SOB!
"It's hard to argue with the government. Remember, they run the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, so they must know a thing or two about satisfying women." --- Scott Adams
rgarry
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgarry »

Yeah, I'm lucky. Have 10 gallons of wineos wash distilling as I write this. The flute has made my job so much easier.
heartcut
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by heartcut »

My wife was OK with my first build and happier with the newer, faster model. She makes wine and I make beer and spirits. She mainly gets pissed when I distill and ignore the honeydos. Hell, she's a football fan, too.
heartcut

We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know.

W. H. Auden
waylyn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by waylyn »

Mine just gave me the "you must be joking look" you know the one, but when the produce started coming, and kept coming all was good :D
rtalbigr
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rtalbigr »

Having been divorced for a number of years this wasn't a problem I had to worry about. However, I still maintain contact with my ex, we're not enemies, so when she found out she said, well, it figures, it appeals to that libertarian, anti-gov't rebel in you, doesn't it.

Big R
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." William Pitt
BrewVegas
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BrewVegas »

She was ok with it as she saw me become an experienced all grain brewer and now appreciates a fine beer. The problem is that I am still working out the kinks and my first few runs have been over 12 hours with my hot plate :evil: . It seems to be cycling on/off. Once I get that fixed and don't spend an entire day doing this, she will be better. :thumbup:
Braz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Braz »

Mine was pretty skeptical at first, especially when I kept coming home with $$ worth of copper stuff and the Big Brown Truck kept pulling up with "necessary equipment." She expressed some considerable doubt that the payback point would ever be reached.

Now that she no longer has to spend money in the liquor aisle she is fully on board. On stillin' days she makes me lunch, all prettied up on a tea tray, and brings it out to the Man Cave for me.
Braz
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Mines getting better.

She was amused for the first run as she thought it was a one shot deal apparently....Went very far down hill after that....Then she found out I butcher'd her good pot and an slowly started hoggin up the pantry with glass and panela,,,,,errr and likker.
More recently I cut a hole in the ceiling of my garage and a course i got fermenting buckets loaded with dunder every where...

She seems to tolerate it better and also my internet likker geekin with all you hard heads.......

She still rather drink smirnoff though,,,,recon my likker sucks.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
RumBrewer
Rumrunner

Post by RumBrewer »

LWTCS wrote:Mines getting better.

She was amused for the first run as she thought it was a one shot deal apparently....Went very far down hill after that....Then she found out I butcher'd her good pot and an slowly started hoggin up the pantry with glass and panela,,,,,errr and likker.
More recently I cut a hole in the ceiling of my garage and a course i got fermenting buckets loaded with dunder every where...

She seems to tolerate it better and also my internet likker geekin with all you hard heads.......

Is it possible we are brothers?
My wife "Tolerates" me.... and my dozen or so high dollar hobbies, but that's about it.
Everything I do or say may or may not have really happened... or it may or may not be all bull shit!
Turning money into steam and likker 10 gallons at a time!
I just want Uncle Sam to be more like Uncle Jessy!
Swede
Novice

Post by Swede »

As long as she has her wine and vodka is ready when she wants it, she's my biggest fan. At first, I'm sure she thought it was a novelty that would wear off, but alas she was mistaken. It took alot of rough booze to get where I am now, but it's all been worth it.

The biggest step forward for our relationship with stilling has been the construction of my bubble tray column. The 8-12hr vm runs were really tying up my time on the weekends (read, family time) and the double potstill/thump runs weren't that much better. The new bubble tray allows me to knock off a run of uj in 4 hrs flat. From cracking open the drain valve on the fermenter, to shutting down and pouring the sugar/backset in the the fermenter.

I told her it would be worth it, she doubted it while i spent countless hours researching and building it, but all those bad memories are long gone now that it takes such a short time to produce a good product. And if she wants to have her vodka, all I need to do is double run it in the big ol pipe.

Moral of the story, if you want your wife to be okay with your distilling, BUILD A TRAY COLUMN. It's faster, and it's the one time that she'll be happy you can say that :P
Braz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Braz »

Gosh. I'd be insulted. Especially since you went to all that trouble to modify the ceiling and everything.
Braz
WalkingWolf
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by WalkingWolf »

Mine never got too mad -- she basically gave me the, 'I think you're crazy' look. She wasn't a drinker and now enjoys a cocktail in the evenings with me. :thumbup: She is having a bigger problem with all of the shit I have been collecting for "some day".
fullhouse
Rumrunner

Post by fullhouse »

mines pretty kewl with the whole idea...alotted me 1500 bucks of unk sams return to fund the new hobby...she says if i can make what i drink we will pay for it in the first year of not going to the package store lol...she has helped me get a sugar stock up and picks up odds n ends that i need/want...she is begining to wonder where my still is that i ordered lil over a week ago...and why i started my washes this week and have no still lol..all in good time i tell her...so i guess i got a kepper with her...shes a pretty good ol lady
3' Essential Extractor PSII High Capacity (Brewhaus) on gas,recirculating 60 gal olive barrel for cooling
Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others have labored hard for ~ Socrates
FortyNiner
Novice

Post by FortyNiner »

Mrs. Niner wasn't really mad about the still as much as she was that I was starting a new project without getting rid of the half-finished project car that's dominating the garage. The car has been a sore point for awhile (seemed like a great idea at the time, but wrenching on a tempermental 42 year old car got old and expensive). That eventually passed, kinda, and turned into a "whatever-why don't you just buy it at the liquor store" attitude. Then she found out that home distilling doesn't enjoy the same legal status as home brewing and got pretty upset. That lasted until a customer at her work brought in some very nice home stilled 50abv apple pie for everyone to try. Everyone was eager to try it, but because of me, Mrs. Niner was able to talk a little 'stillin with Mr. Customer and got her own jar to take home and share with me (no one else got jar, just a few belts). Since then, everything's been cool. Actually there is a bit of pressure for me to make some apple pie. Haven't even mastered the Boka yet, but I guess I have to build a flute soon.....
Niner