Coffee roasting

Moderator: Site Moderator

Washashore
Distiller

Re: Coffee roasting

Post by Washashore »

I was thinking the same thing Mr. P!
"It's hard to argue with the government. Remember, they run the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, so they must know a thing or two about satisfying women." --- Scott Adams
maheel
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by maheel »

lol this will take u a few hours of your time...

have a look at

coffeesnobs.com.au
coffeegeek.com
homeroasters.org

and plenty more...
qball
Swill Maker

Post by qball »

http://www.sweetmarias.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow has a good forum, good supplies, and good beans!
rtalbigr
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rtalbigr »

Prairiepiss wrote:I've been avoiding this thread like the plague. And I just read it. I hate you guys. Like I need another hobby. :moresarcasm:
My thoughts exactly PP. :crazy:

Big R
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." William Pitt
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by JellybeanCorncob »

Old post, I know. I've been studying coffee roasting for a couple of months now and during that time I've been searching the thrift stores for a turbo oven and a Stir Crazy popcorn popper. I finally found a Turbo oven. $20 US and popcorn popper $8. Here is a video that I modeled my roaster after.
https://youtu.be/KtX4UN5R4jw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
I just had my first cup of my roasted coffee. I still have a learning curve ahead but it’s very smooth and flavorful. Lots of caffeine also. :thumbup: I live in the mountains and getting to a Starbucks or Peet’s coffee is quite a drive for a fix. And what I just made is better the coffee beans I buy when I’m in town. Like my spirits my coffee will get better the more I practice. Are any of you all currently roasting your own coffee? It’s kind of fun and is very rewarding.
JBC
JBC
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

JBC I've been roasting green coffee beans for the past 20+ years.
When it became available I bought a Fresh Roast coffee roaster, it does a pretty good job but doing a little search I see they have made some improvements to the design.
I used to get my beans from specialty mail order places like Sweet Maria's but recently found Amazon has loads for sale.
I've been buying the Direct Trade stuff lately because hopefully the farmer gets a better deal.

The varieties available are just amazing, I've been buying them in 2 and 3 Lb shipments and showed my 20 year old son all I know about roasting.
I have created yet another PNW coffee snob, now he looks down on all prepackaged pre-roasted coffee.

The smoke that the roasting process makes does require it be done outside, and that gets a bit more difficult in the colder months.
Since the heat is generated by pulling in outside air and blowing it past resistive coils it takes longer to get the coffee done.
I still keep some commercial beans at work for my daily cup at my desk but the fresh roasted is what I prefer.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

I looked at the fresh roast coffee roaster. They have several models. They look cool. The higher the number on the unit the more expensive they are. Before I splerge on one of those or anyother store bought brand I’m going to play around with what I’ve got. My local home brew store has many types of green beans for sale. Priced a little more than half the price of roasted beans. So if I can dial in a roast I like and it costs less. It’s a win win. Also, I love the espresso laced vodka in tried and true. It would be nice to say I made it from scratch, even the coffee! :D
JBC
JBC
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I have gone to the trouble of picking the fruits and shucking the flesh off them to make a very nice coffee berry liqueur while drying and roasting the beans. The liqueur has nice color and very pleasant and unique aromas and flavors.
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

NZChris wrote:I have gone to the trouble of picking the fruits and shucking the flesh off them to make a very nice coffee berry liqueur while drying and roasting the beans. The liqueur has nice color and very pleasant and unique aromas and flavors.
Wow. Is coffee berry liqueur similar to Kahlúa? Well, obviously better but I’m looking for a reference point.
Thanks
JBC
JBC
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Another avenue I really don’t have time to invest in but I have to admit while in Poland a year ago I stayed in a place that had a roaster and did everything fresh that day. I loved the quality and would like to have a small roaster. With the holidays coming up I can see another idea on my wish list!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

JellybeanCorncob wrote:
NZChris wrote:I have gone to the trouble of picking the fruits and shucking the flesh off them to make a very nice coffee berry liqueur while drying and roasting the beans. The liqueur has nice color and very pleasant and unique aromas and flavors.
Wow. Is coffee berry liqueur similar to Kahlúa? Well, obviously better but I’m looking for a reference point.
Thanks
JBC
Being made from the sweet flesh of the berry, it's nothing like anything made from the bean.
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

I’m sorry mate: I misread your post. That must have been a lot of work.
Good on ya.
JBC
JBC
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

Coffee roasting is just like home distilling. Once you start, the commercial roast will taste like crap!

We have been roasting coffee beans for about 12 years. Started with a commercial bought home roaster and moved on to DIY versions, popcorn popper, spaghetti basket on the grill rotisserie for a long time. Use a George Foreman chicken roaster and a home made basket now.

We roast a batch once a week. Mix of Colombian and Peruvian.

Like the alcohol it ruins you.
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Would like to hear more about these homemade roasters!
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Youtube is your friend.

You can get this one on Amazon for about $30
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dIZUtCJzBc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Air popcorn popper
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySBAVyQA-Ys" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Cast Iron
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG49LUsQc1Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Found this on eBay! Anyone have experience or thoughts?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Coffee-Roaster ... 3016525667" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Bushman wrote:Found this on eBay! Anyone have experience or thoughts?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Coffee-Roaster ... 3016525667" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
First, and it has to be said, it's Chinese.

So that aside, I guess you put the drum over a heat source like a gas flame?
I think I'd go the cast iron frying pan route instead.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

We bought one of those Precision counter top coffee roasters when we got married and the wife and I loved the aroma of roasting beans. The fun of blending different kinds of beans and levels of roasts got kind of addicting. We got away from roasting once we got busy, but this thread gonna make me dig the roaster out again. Or I could try rigging something like this up for the brick oven.

Here's a fairly recent green coffee supplier list
Attachments
Brick oven Coffee.jpg
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

This is my first DIY version. A pasta basket over the grill rotisserie. I made a sheet metal lid. Does a full pound.

Basket $16usd, all thread $4usd
Coffee reduced.jpg
Popcorn poppers of most descriptions work. Get an old one from a second hand store.

We even use a hand cranked one in bad weather. Stainless ~$30usd
Popcorn-Popper-Product-Image.jpg
Popcorn-Popper-Product-Image.jpg (14.29 KiB) Viewed 3892 times
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

coffee roasting is fun and very beneficial to the flavors and saves some $$ also

I use a hot air popper normally have to do 2-3 roasts to get what I need.

B
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

nerdybrewer wrote:

I realize it was made in China, my only thoughts is with it rotating it would be less work and more even roast than a frying pan.
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Bushman wrote:
nerdybrewer wrote:

I realize it was made in China, my only thoughts is with it rotating it would be less work and more even roast than a frying pan.
I like the idea, based on a $400 version that is extremely well made and includes it's own heat source.
I'm concerned about putting this over a heat source, there are a few things that could go wrong.
I'd like to know if it works - and doesn't fall apart, melt down, catch your coffee beans on fire... :twisted:
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

nerdybrewer wrote:
Bushman wrote:
nerdybrewer wrote:

I like the idea, based on a $400 version that is extremely well made and includes it's own heat source.
I'm concerned about putting this over a heat source, there are a few things that could go wrong.
I'd like to know if it works - and doesn't fall apart, melt down, catch your coffee beans on fire... :twisted:
:thumbup: Good points, that is why I asked the question. Not sure I want to pay $400 but will keep searching.
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Wow.
My son dropped part of my roaster today, busted it.
I put it back together with super glue but I'm not sure it will hold when it gets hot.
Worse than that, (since that was just the plastic part), the glass chamber has a crack from the top down about 2" - not a good thing.
See they are on the SR series now, everything has changed a lot since I bought mine.
Mine is the FB-01 model. That stands for "Fresh Beans 01".
I think the one that is closest to is the SR-500 however the chamber size has changed from 2.5" diameter to 3" diameter.
Not good, I sent the company an email and hopefully they will have some idea about replacing the chamber.

Anyone here got an idea about replacing a 2.5" glass cylinder that's about 4" long?
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Sorry to hear, have you tried eBay?
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Bushman wrote:Sorry to hear, have you tried eBay?
I sent the company an email last night, had a reply this morning asking for more info about my model.
That's good CS - hope they have a replacement, if not then Ebay is my next stop.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

I roasted all my coffee for about six years with popcorn poppers, serially purchased from thrift stores. Eventually, I ran out of good ones. Tried dogbowl method with a heat gun, stove top, etc. All the air poppers that show up in stores today are just too low powered to do a good job.

Eventually my wife bought me a fancy Behmor 1600+ roaster for a birthday. It's pricey, but nice. I've found it does a pound at a time, but unless I do a little less it will set off the smoke alarm. Rigged a little window exhaust fan and all is well.

Similar to homebrewing and distilling, you can save some money, but the added effort is enough to offset that unless you genuinely enjoy it. I can find good coffees on the internet for around $5 pound, shipped, sometimes less, and the result is way better than the expensive local roast stuff I have tried from places around town.

I saw the other day, Aldi had a stove top popper with the hand crank for around $10. I was tempted to buy one, but don't really need it.
Eire Whiskey

Post by Eire Whiskey »

I roast my beans for my espresso. I do it like the ancestors with a modern twist. They used a wood fire, I use propane. I use the same burner I will use for the still. I have a big pot just for roasting. I put the pot/beans on the fire and stir with a long handled spoon till my desired color. Then I cool in a couple of pans, get a big strainer and shake the beans around to get rid of the skins, bring them inside and let them cool and air out the gases for a day or more before I think about grinding any.
I have some new beans I'm going to use. I forget where they were grown, they should make a good cup of espresso, of course I've never had a bad cup yet. LOL
Coffee beans roasting.jpg
Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boda Getta »

I started roasting about 5 years ago and really enjoy it. It is amazing how superior the coffee is over store bought coffee. I started out with an air type roaster but quickly went to a drum roaster. I use a Behmor 1600 Plus and have been very happy with it. I usually roast once per week and always grind fresh before every pot brewed. I buy most of my green beans from Caracolillo Coffee Mill in Tampa Fl. There coffee is first class, reasonable in cost and reasonable shipping. We have son in Tampa and go down 3-4 times a year and stock up then and save shipping charges. I ave. around $5 per lb.

A very easy way to bump up your coffee game is to buy roasted whole beans only, buy a grinder (do spend a little more and buy a burr grinder vs blade grinder). The coffee nerds on the coffee forums claim two of the best store brought brands are Dunkin Donuts and Community Coffee. Always be sure and get a bag from the back that has the less time since it was roasted. Do not grind too far ahead and if not for every pot, no more 2-3 days ahead. Ground coffee starts breaking down very quickly. You can save a pile of money; coffee shops in my area that sell their brand roasted coffee charge the ridiculous price of $18-$22 per 12 oz bag. Crazy.

BG
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

I guess I should reply since I brought this post back from the dead nearly a year ago.
I’ve been roasting coffee now for about a year. I get my beans from Sweet Marias Coffee. I’m only about 50 minutes from there warehouse so I make the drive every 3 months or so to get my green coffee beans. I’ve switched from my homemade coffee roaster to a Fresh Roast 500 air roaster.
It roasts very even and I can control the temperature for different roast profiles. At any one time Sweet Maria’s has 10 to 20 varieties of beans available from around the globe, and the website is a great place to learn to roast. Each type of coffee has flavor profiles that are achieved by how long you roast and temperature variations. Not to mention great prices on green coffee beans. If your interested in roasting your own coffee beans I suggest checking out there website.
If you like coffee and want to up your game you should roast your own. You won’t be sorry you did.
JBC
JBC