Need a good photo of an old fashioned still

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Packwidget

Need a good photo of an old fashioned still

Post by Packwidget »

I'm currently writing a novel about four feisty women who make moonshine. I'm in the process of painting the cover art for this book. I'm looking for a good photo of an old fashioned still, preferrably copper, but that's not necessary. It would be easier to paint if the photo was in color, but that's not a requirement. It would be cool if there were gadgets on the unit - to create interest. I've looked for pictures on the web. I've been unable to find anything that inspires me. I'm hoping you folks can help.

Thanks much,
Packwidget
sherriff Buffoerd pusser
Bootlegger

Post by sherriff Buffoerd pusser »

dont know if you'll find what your looking for.Most shiner;s I knew made it for money not beauty.Snag McLain in my hometown was one Bufford Pusser tried for years to find his still after Snag died it was found under his small house long after sherriff pusser was killed.Snag always said his stuff was far selling not drinkn.
whats life without a challenge
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

Do a search on ebay for moonshine. You will get about 300 hits or so. Ususally there will be several that might be what you are looking for.

There are frequently postcards showing older stills (and the revenuers), and then there are actual old stills that someone finds at an estate auction, or out in grandpa's barn.

It may take a few weeks of checking that search to find what you are looking for, but it is out there.

H.
Big J
Swill Maker

Post by Big J »

You could look at colonel wilson's stills:
http://www.coppermoonshinestills.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

They are contemporary, but definitely draw on tradition. I would assume that his designs are copyrighted in some way so if you were going to use them it should be for inspiration only or else get permission from him first.

Cheers,
J
pothead
Rumrunner

Post by pothead »

"Be nice to America, or we'll bring democracy to your country."
"The best things in life aren't things."

"Imagination is more important than Knowledge"-Albert Einstein
Packwidget

Post by Packwidget »

Thank you all. I will check out all your suggestions. One of my problems is that since I know so very little about how the apparatuses are set up, I don't know what kinds of tubes are attached where - on the still. In some of the photos I've seen the stills aren't attached to anything.

My dad's uncles are long gone, or I could asked them. They used to make whiskey in the backhills of Oregon. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures.
hornedrhodent
Rumrunner

Post by hornedrhodent »

Read the posts under 'History and Folklore' - there are plenty of Pics and links to pics.

Same applies to 'resources and reviews'.
Packwidget

Post by Packwidget »

Thanks for the suggestion, horned rhodent. I took you up on it. I'm just beginning to make a dent in the History and Folklore section. It's quite interesting.
Workerbee47
Novice

Post by Workerbee47 »

Hi Packwidget, Are those your paintings?? I like the Native Indiains, Cash, and Denver, they are real good.
possum
Distiller

Post by possum »

JD, MIB...RIP

"Yes and joy was just the thing that he was raised on....
Love is just the way he live and died..
Gold is just a windy kansas wheatfield,
and blue is just the Kansas summer sky..."
Hey guys!!! Watch this.... OUCH!
Packwidget

Post by Packwidget »

Workerbee47 Thanks. Yes, those are my paintings. I started painting about 5 years ago. I love painting people and animals. Usually I like to have a nature background, hence, John Denver on the hillside. I love John Denver's music. It speaks to who I am inside. I was upset when he died prematurely. I wish I could find another singer who touches my soul in the same way.

possum, I love that song you quoted the words to. It's so wonderful. Now I'm going to have to go to my collection and play his music today. It always makes me feel good. I remember in the John Denver special that his first wife Annie put together, they said that John had hoped to write a song that would save the world. Wonderful soul. I'd like to write a book and paint a painting that would do that.
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... &rd=1&rd=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Packwidget

Post by Packwidget »

Thanks, this is a really cool still.

Vi
Packwidget

Post by Packwidget »

Just thought I'd let you know that thanks to all your help I now have some good pictures of stills. I have one roughed in on my canvas and may make some changes as I look at the new stills. To see what I've done so far, go to my web site at http://www.whereartmeetstheheart.com onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow and page or click down to the art blog. The painting in it's current state is there. You can watch it grow.

Thanks for all your help. When the painting is complete I will post it here.

Vi