bali deaths

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

hoody79
Novice

bali deaths

Post by hoody79 »

wonder if its methenol mixed in or poorly stilled shine thats behind this

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/wa ... ol-drinks/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Usge
retired

Re: bali deaths

Post by Usge »

Most likely they used wood alc in the mix (ie., methanol) would be my guess.

Had a friend from India that came from a village that made their own version of moonshine (Karrack)..that's what it sounded like anyway. He said it meant "country likker". He told me some of those little towns used car parts to build a still..and used a truck radiator for condenser. Not only did it have lead cores...but it had trace/residual glycol from anti-freeze. It killed everybody who drank it (about 120 people). Wiped out the men in a whole village. I expressed my horror...and asked what did the gov do? He just bobbled his head side to side and waved his hand in the air and said....government does nothing....this is just "rounding off error" (120 people out of 1 billion).
SIXFOOTER
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by SIXFOOTER »

Another mass poisoning in India.
Seems this happens a lot over there, poor, greedy and stupid seem to play big parts.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/nation ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

84 dead in India after drinking toxic homemade liquor

At least 84 people have died after consuming homemade liquor in a poor neighborhood outside Mumbai, the deadliest such case in the city in more than a decade, officials said Saturday.

Five people were arrested and eight police officers suspended pending an investigation into how the illicit liquor was allowed to be sold over the counter from a neighborhood shack, the city’s police commissioner, Rakesh Maria, told local media.

The deaths occurred in the Laxmi Nagar slum in the suburb of Malad, a fast-growing area north of Mumbai, India’s financial capital. Officials said all the victims consumed the liquor on Wednesday night and had apparently suffered methanol poisoning.

Methanol, a simple alcohol that can damage the central nervous system in humans, was reportedly added to a batch of homemade liquor to increase its potency, police said. The concoction was sold for 10 rupees a glass, or about 15 cents.

Cheap country liquor is commonly available in India, and scores of people routinely die from consuming a toxic brew. Nearly 170 people died in 2011 in a similar case in the eastern state of West Bengal.

Authorities and excise officials regularly conduct raids on bootlegging operations, but the practice continues to thrive, particularly in slums where cops can be bribed to look the other way.

In the deadliest recent case in Mumbai, in 2004, 87 people died after consuming toxic liquor. Four men convicted of supplying the hooch were sentenced to life in prison and 15 others received lesser terms.
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

Events like that happen, when greedy people get their hands on unauthorized sale of spirits.
This are just the kind of horror storys that shed a very bad light on distilling our own spirits.
People would automatically be lead to think everything distilled outside a distillery is poisonous and will kill people.
Those criminal idiots do endanger others life and health,they should be forced to drink this shit themselves.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

The one issue to note is that the methanol was "added" to the spirits, supposedly, to make it more potent... People will do some crazy shit to make a buck...!!!
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Could be a case of terrorism and the poisoned alcohol was intentional.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

It is common in such places, 15 or so yrs ago I was working in Tamil Nadu where criminals would put paint thinners in arrack to"up the toxicity "(profit), Saddly such ppl have no ethics and their greed knows no bounds. I saw the results with my own eyes first hand, a terrible sight to see.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

It's not all greed, people do it to themselves. Same "kind" of stuff goes on in the U.S.

There are people that Huff paint, gas and propane. Now we have people smoking insecticides.

The desire to get high and escape is primal.
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
Dan P.
Distiller

Post by Dan P. »

Years ago I lived in India, pretty deep in the bush, drank plenty of arrack, or "mohua" as it was called. Fermented from mohua flowers and palm jaggery, distilled in clay pots with a bamboo pipes. Pretty innocent stuff. Probably singlings, as far as I can work out in far retrospect. My main interest at the time was in palm wine (very nice) and the local herbal offerings (bought pre-rolled in palm-frond pipes from the shop). But the arrack never did me any harm. I guess the reported deaths are victims of so-called "progress"?
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

thats a big body count. couldnt Imagine adding posions to something ive made even for a big profit.
Dan P.
Distiller

Post by Dan P. »

I only just read the article in the OP.
That is a question of bootleg alcohol.
The people putting it in the bottles very likely didn't make it.
The probably just saw a big plastic jerry of "alcohol" for sale at their local supplies store for real cheap, causing a lightbulb in their head to dimly flicker on.
Bootleg spirits seems to be an increasing problem worldwide. Bootleg as in you think you are buying legit, but it's not. Reaches surprisingly high levels of circulation, retail-wise. A bit like the bootleg pharmaceutical business. Not good.