Thanks

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bushman
Admin

Thanks

Post by Bushman »

I am starting this thread as in my experience we do not recognize individuals accomplishments and there contributions or help enough. So I am dedicating this thread for members to thank one another publicly. I will start knowing there are people I will leave off unintentionally and as they come to mind add them to what I hope is an on going thread.

First I would like to thank the Administrative Team of Tater, Husker, and Uncle Jess. I belong to several forums and their foresight for developing rules and their steadfast vigilantes to make sure we adhere to those rules makes this forum run smooth and stay productive. With my new role here I realize how much work these guys do behind the scene.

To the mentors both current and past and if I start to name all of them that have helped me and countless others I will get myself into trouble by leaving someone off the list that deserves to be recognized. This is a great place for others to add them individually.

To Rad that keeps us on task and safe. How a person year after year can answer the same questions with detailed descriptions explaining why we do or don't do things is beyond me.

To Samohon, his detailed diagrams and illustrations have helped countless members. If I do a Google search seems like his work has been posted by other web sites.

To Kiwistiller for his great contribution to the new distillers lounge with information that has helped countless people.

Next the innovators here on this forum. Starting with Old Dog he was the first to introduce the hobby sized flute giving the plans to us for free. There are currently many commercial builders that are using his design and making a living off it.

To Myles, is there anything he hasn't built. The other day I came up with what I thought was a unique design for a modular thumper that could exchange out for a small Rad size still for making small batch runs. He comes back with a picture of a similar one he had already built. He has experimented, built and shared just about every thing that is currently out there.

To Mash Rookie, for not only sharing his shop with me but helping me with my latest still design. But more than just helping me he has raised the bar and let us know that form really can follow function with his beautiful builds. His time spent on building multiple stills that allowed him to research packing is a prime example of his giving to all of us. He was I believe the first to introduce exterior downcomers.

To LWTCS for his video and development of the inline thumper

To Hookline for his tutorials, when I first started out I referenced his threads numerous times.

To Dunder who is the walking encyclopedia of knowledge. When it comes to grains, fruits, information about nutrients, etc. we just can't question his wisdom!

To Odin, even though his English is not his first language he has given very well documented information with his research into herbs and how to best introduce them into our liquor. I have followed his advice more than once.

Like I said many others that have helped that should be recognized and as you can see I have a lot to be thankful for! The old cliche "It takes a village to raise a child" is certainly true on this forum so thank you all for contributing or asking the question that I personally learned from the answer.
buddha52
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Thanks

Post by buddha52 »

Great post Bushman :thumbup: And I would also like thank everyone!
Buddha
" HILLBILLY PROUD"
MitchyBourbon
Distiller

Post by MitchyBourbon »

Well said Bushman,

You're looking good in green. :mrgreen:
I'm goin the distance...
heartcut
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by heartcut »

I agree, very well said.
heartcut

We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know.

W. H. Auden
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

:thumbup: Very well said Bushman. I just said in another thread on here, this morning, that Ive learned more on HD in the last year than I did in 16 years of this on my own, thats no exageration. Incredible wealth of knowledge here on the topic.

Thank you all for that. PrairiePiss was the very first one that jumped in and helped me here. I'd like to add his name to the noted list. His comments and help to everyone is always spot on.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Year ago I was trying to match tequila with different flavoring that of course didn't work. Junkyard Dawg has an amazing thread with an agave plant. Maybe someday I will get back to that experiment he seems to keep a lot of us grounded. Just getting started this list is going to grow.

Plus all those that have recipes in the tried and true section. It is always a good idea to get a few successes under our belt before venturing out.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Well said , Bushman . And thanks to all . Every village needs an idiot . With the help I have gotten here the position is still open . I have been promoted to being 'just a little slow'. :clap:
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Gaztops
Bootlegger

Post by Gaztops »

I agree, well said Bushman. If it wasn't for the peeps on HD I would have never got this hobby off the ground. I've learned everthing from this site, from safety, still design, mashing and fermenting, recipes, distilling etc.

A really big thankyou HD :clap:
A man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over a man who cannot read.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Very nice thread.
Hard to find the spot on my brain for my most valuable lesson as there is a bunch of good one's.

Though I always found the most inspiration and motivation from Old Dog's builds,,,But I would say that it is goose eye's pariable and accusatory like posting style that is the first thing I always think about . Particularly when he talks about " how U gunna tell bout yor likker when you break yor measuring tool (of course I'm paraphrasing). Or " how you gonna read that measuring stick at night,,,in the woods ,,,in the dark?" (again I'm paraphrasing). And especially the part were he has asked "you thank Popcorn was the only one can make likker?"
For me the lesson says:
Pay attention and find out for your self what constitutes a good run. And stop wondering if your ferment is done yet,,,,,TASTE IT.
Plus I was thoroughly impressed at how precisely articulated (I'm not kidding) his recommendation was to Kiwi for planning out that recovery operation for that winery accident a few years back. Goose just sounds like someone who understands the logistics of,,,,,,things.

There ain't no substitute for Dnderhead's wealth of knowledge and Kiwistiller really knocks it out of the park with his "cuts" wright up. There are also some equally great lesson's learned from folks that no longer frequent this forum, but the content is still here thankfully.
So many to name but those are the top ones that I always think about.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

LWTCS, I agree goose eye is much deeper with what he is telling us than you would realize when breezing over his posts. Another member I truly respected when starting out was blanikdog, he was brutally honest and at times came down hard on us but always stayed with his beliefs and had a lot of great information for us!
Beerbrewer
Swill Maker

Post by Beerbrewer »

I know he doesn't post here anymore but a big thankyou to Birdwatcher for an excellent recipe that I made my first wash with. And thanks to everyone else who's helped me out here.
stillin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillin »

I believe thanks are in order for PP also. Regardless of whether he ever puts on a blue jacket again or not, doesn't take away from the fact that he's contributed a lot to HD. Thanks PP!
"If your gonna be stupid, you better be tough"--My dad
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

Pint punkin Harry so on an so forth.
They ain't round no more but they was a
building block regardless of other thangs
that happened .
As far as me I ain't no one from no where

so im tole
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

yep there was fourway theholymackerel AkCoyote knuklehead Yttrium Grayson_Stewart LeftLaneCruiser The Chemist Golden Pond and few dozen more Ive failed to remember.But lets not forget Tony who first made this all possible.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

Yup the ones that tuned there bow to start this hootinnanny

so im tole
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

... and a mighty fine hootinanny it shaped into.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

Post by junkyard dawg »

damn straight...

Tater, those guys you mention taught me so much... :thumbup:

Thanks to everyone that takes the time to post up.

A fine hootinanny for sure... :clap:
this is the internet
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Right damn up there with the Bonaroo .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Stainless
Swill Maker

Post by Stainless »

I have to say THANK YOU ALL for the help and guidance to everyone here.
This should be made a 'sticky' for all the new people to look at and go back in time and read all those posts
This site is an encyclopedia for anyone starting out distilling
More knowledge here than anywhere I have ever found
Many thanks
Stainless
Luceo Non Uro
OlympicMtDoo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by OlympicMtDoo »

:clap: :thumbup:
Sometimes I wonder why is that Frisbee getting bigger......and then it hits me.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

So many have already been mentioned. That deserve a thanks. So thank you to those already listed. But I would like to add a few that I didn't see yet.

Rubber duck and Big R. Both of whom has contributed greatly to this forum.

And goose I'm glad your a nobody. Ifin you was somebody we wouldn't get to learn from.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
wv_cooker
Trainee

Post by wv_cooker »

Excellent post Bushman. Over the past 3 month's or so I have spent day and night reading through this mountain of information. The knowledge and fabrication skills of guy's like Mash Rookie, Myles, and Prairiepiss make me totally amazed. The for runners such as OldDog that put so much of his time and effort into bringing the commercial stills to our level. Folks like Uncle Jesse, Tater and Husker that continue to carry on something that someone else started. Tony Ackland for giving us the beginning. To Odin and Dunderhead and so many many more. What can we say to Rad but thanks for keeping us safe, and thanks for the entertainment, where else could you get both! I fancy myself as a person who can learn anything and come up with many many ideas of how to do things and each time I do all I have to do is come here and read to find that someone else has done it years ago. This is a humbling place that has more information on a single subject than could ever be put in encyclopedias or taught in colleges. Their are so many that it is not possible to remember all and mention by name but Thanks to all who have came before us and thanks to the active members now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't forget to give yourself a pat or two either Bushman.
newengland
Novice

Post by newengland »

Not been around HD long. I agree with those who have been mentioned that I recognize. In general the forum's creators and administrators deserve thanks because where else is one to find a community of stillers? Thanks.
drinkingdog
Rumrunner

Post by drinkingdog »

I agree that even though some times I get frustrated becase I can't find something escepecially when I just read it a few days earlier there is not a forumn that deals with distilling that has the wealth of information that this site has to offer. Congrats to you bushman for I have read many of your post and had been well informed by them you definately deserve the promotion. Even as bad as Rads bed side manner is I truely appreciate the wealth of wisdom he has to offer. Great site I hope after a little time that I can contribute a fraction of the help and wisdom that the admin and mods of this site contribute
My Grandpa used to say. Don't argue with an idiot, because he will just drag you down to his level then beat you with experience.
He also used to say. I didn't say it was your fault. I just said that I was blaming you.

DD
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

Way too many to individually remember and thank, including some no longer on this forum.

Somebody said it takes a village to raise a child.

So true. Hobbies like this don't happen without a strong sense of community.

8)
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
googe
retired

Post by googe »

Theres a few but ill stick with PP cause he helped me out the most when I started this game a year ago, he kept answering my stupid questions and helped me understand how distilling work when I'd almost given up cause I couldn't get my head around it.

Cheers
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Thanks to whomever Admin repaired my Log-In problem today.
With all the other site issues, I'm sure you needed 1 more thing this morning.

I felt so.... alone ... when "barred" from HD!
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Jesse »

fizzix wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:29 am Thanks to whomever Admin repaired my Log-In problem today.

I did it. Not sure why you were deactivated but I can only guess that PHPBB did it when you changed your email address. I'll look into the unix logs later this evening to see if I can find a clue there.
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

fizzix wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:29 am Thanks to whomever Admin repaired my Log-In problem today.

So glad to have you back, Fizzix. The place isn't the same without you.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Well DAMN, Twisted, that was awful nice of you to say that!