buzzard trappin 1960

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

buzzard trappin 1960

Post by Truckinbutch »

Picture 4 little mouth breathin 9 to 11 year old farm kids that don't get out much . Buzz haircuts , white t-shirts , and tenner shoes . Every Friday night was a sleepover at my house or theirs . 6:30 AM on Saturday morning we were glued to the floor in front of a black and white tv that got snowy reception on one channel for the next 2 hours . Tarzan , Martin and Osa Johnson , Frank Buck : Bring 'Em Back Alive . Rest of the day was ours to emulate these screen heroes .
Didn't have no lions or tigers to catch . Only got to see an elephant once each summer when the carnival came through . Our options for trappin them were limited . We settled to capitalize on what we had . An abundance of turkey buzzards .
Spring net was what we figured was the best chance to catch one . Spent 2 weeks knotting up a net out of hay baler twine and a further week to dig a pit blind in the edge of a fresh cut hay field and set our net with white hickory saplings cut on the dark side of the holler . Rode our bicycles miles on RT19 Friday afternoon to find a roadkill groundhog that fitted our criteria for bait .
Oh! We had such grand plans :crazy: We were going to tame the buzzard we were going to trap and it would ride on our shoulders and fly over us and just do all the fantasy stuff we had seen on the tv . Saw it on the tv . Had to be true , didn't it ?
11pm that night we bedded down in our pit blind by a groundhog baited trap with a manual trip rope on the spring poles . It was such a looonggg night and nobody on those tv shows had mentioned what you do on an all night stakeout when you got to pee. We figgered that out when necessity prevailed .
Daylight finally got there and the buzzard started soaring over the field looking for breakfast . One finally swooped in on our groundhog and we sprung the trap .
IT WORKED ! Hot diggerty DAMN ! We had our pet buzzard caught in our handmade net . Take the back seat Tarzan and Frank Buck , there was a new group of marshals in town :clap:
Ran out and got that bird in a burlap feed sack and tied the top around his neck with his head sticking out so he could breathe .
That's where we dropped our candy in the dirt ..........
As we found out , buzzards are carrion feeders and when they get stressed they puke . It projectile vomited all over us and then we started puking . When we were done puking we took the hickory spring poles and beat that sumbitch to death . So much for being big game trappers .
We found many more adventures as we grew older . Pissin on the electric fence also had a poor outcome .............................................
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Braz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: buzzard trappin 1960

Post by Braz »

That's funny, Truckin. Thanks.
Braz
wannab
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by wannab »

truckin - that's good, took me back 40 yrs. to the gut pile from slaughtering cows out back. wanted a pet crow- set muskrat leg traps all over the pile got one, was warned it would peck my eye out. got it out of the cage it cawed

unexpectedly I threw it down due to thoughts of losing an eye. so much for my pet crow. Thanks for the memories wannab
common sense is not so common
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Kye-nuh feel bad for that poor buzzerd,,,,,,,But the story wuz stellar....Two thumbs up from me. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Sure does remind me of some of those long summer days (and nights).

Sounds like yew fellers wuz mean as hail.
Cheers
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I really look forward to your stories, many of us have them you have the talent to pen them. Probably if we all sent you our stories to write we could get it published. If your not keeping a collection for that purpose you should think about it.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

TB, your stories stoke up a lot of old memories of the times I had with my older brother and our friends back in S. Cack. It's a wonder we didn't all die young - well, some did I reckon.

Thanks for another good one.

S-C
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Thanks , folks for all the encouragement . My stories, at this point , are only shared with special folks like the ones here .
Once I have tried every gainful means of employing my time and have to admit that I am a total failure in life then , and only then , will I occupy myself in an endeavor to become a politician or a writer .
I'll keep sharing stories here from time to time . Some you will like , some you won't . Cowboys don't get lucky all the time .
LWTCS ,
Beatin a buzzard to death seemed like the thing to do at the time . I am much more civilized now . Help preserve wild critters . Us fellers 'mean as hell' : You don't even know the half of it . We had to be that way where we grew up just to survive . We practiced every day to hone our skills .
'Nother several stories on that ...........................
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Post by ga flatwoods »

Truckinbutch when we got our first 22 magnum rifle, we shot everything you could think of some at remarkable distances. The best shot was on a buzzard sitting on the edge of a concrete mixing silo. He teetered forward, then back, then forward, then...back and fell into the hopper! Too bad we all didnt have cell phones with video cameras back then as we would have evidence on ourself for a conviction! Anyway after a high-five, drinking a little drink and smoking all while riding the dirt roads, we finally got to wondering about the poor guy delivering the concrete with that buzzard in his truck to someone trying to pour a floor for their new house or whatever! WTH! I still get tears when telling it after little drink!
The hardest item to add to a bottle of shine is patience!
I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

ga flatwoods wrote:Truckinbutch when we got our first 22 magnum rifle, we shot everything you could think of some at remarkable distances. The best shot was on a buzzard sitting on the edge of a concrete mixing silo. He teetered forward, then back, then forward, then...back and fell into the hopper! Too bad we all didnt have cell phones with video cameras back then as we would have evidence on ourself for a conviction! Anyway after a high-five, drinking a little drink and smoking all while riding the dirt roads, we finally got to wondering about the poor guy delivering the concrete with that buzzard in his truck to someone trying to pour a floor for their new house or whatever! WTH! I still get tears when telling it after little drink!
HEHE . I would imagine that it would be rather difficult to put a trowel finish on a buzzard that worked it's way to the top of a concrete pour :clap:
wv_cooker
Trainee

Post by wv_cooker »

Dang it Butch you are makin me feel old. Buzzard Trappin, How about some cow tippin too! I'll bet rt 19 wasn't quite as wide back in 60 as it is now huh? Good story.
MitchyBourbon
Distiller

Post by MitchyBourbon »

Keep em coming Truckinbutch, I really look forward to your stories.
I'm goin the distance...
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

Ole boys pa didn't believe in killing just to kill.
You shot it you ate it.
Ole boys family use to log in the winter before
The weather broke. Then they'd help when need
be. If it was in the trees or woods they had em
as a pet one time or another.
There still a joke round the family that you left
one paw on it if you was cooking it.

So im tole
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

wv_cooker wrote:Dang it Butch you are makin me feel old. Buzzard Trappin, How about some cow tippin too! I'll bet rt 19 wasn't quite as wide back in 60 as it is now huh? Good story.
19 , 20 , and 33 were narrower . Cost me a set of tires every month to run a '68 GTO from Morgantown to Hacker Lick every weekend in under an hour and thirty minutes before the interstate .
noobshine
Swill Maker

Post by noobshine »

holy crap my sides :lol:
This is kind of embarrassing but sometimes I like to smell my own backset
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Truckinbutch wrote:
wv_cooker wrote:Dang it Butch you are makin me feel old. Buzzard Trappin, How about some cow tippin too! I'll bet rt 19 wasn't quite as wide back in 60 as it is now huh? Good story.
19 , 20 , and 33 were narrower . Cost me a set of tires every month to run a '68 GTO from Morgantown to Hacker Lick every weekend in under an hour and thirty minutes before the interstate .
That was 4 weekend trips to see a gal . 127 miles each way . And I won the hand of the second meanest bitch in Webster County . Her mother had her beat . Shot myself in the foot and bled for 15 years before a judge's gavel showed me some light at the end of the tunnel when he declared our divorce final .
...............The foolish things a young man will do when he is sniffin on a hot trail .....................
wv_cooker
Trainee

Post by wv_cooker »

I know from where you speak Butch, for me the light at the end of the tunnel was a train. I had to speak to 3 of them judges before me and number 4 have been together 30 something years now. I better remember how long that's been before I have to get re-trained by a number 5. I'm gettin too old for that. First car was a 60 model corvette, would love to have that today! Through the early years also had a 67 GTO, 69 Chevelle, and a 69 Camaro. The stories those cars could tell! Makes me realize why I'm gettin old so early.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

wv_cooker wrote:I know from where you speak Butch, for me the light at the end of the tunnel was a train. I had to speak to 3 of them judges before me and number 4 have been together 30 something years now. I better remember how long that's been before I have to get re-trained by a number 5. I'm gettin too old for that. First car was a 60 model corvette, would love to have that today! Through the early years also had a 67 GTO, 69 Chevelle, and a 69 Camaro. The stories those cars could tell! Makes me realize why I'm gettin old so early.
Holey Moley ! You ever bootleg race Grafton Road , Arkwright Stretch , or Sawmill Straight ?
I pit crewed for several racers that worked that circuit . :thumbup:
wv_cooker
Trainee

Post by wv_cooker »

Naw I was always down around the politicians. I know Webster area cause my mom and Dad retired to there for a while.